New bike.- Mtbr.com

Thread: New bike.

mtbr member
    May 2019

New bike.

So I am in the market for my first FS bike. I have it narrowed down to a Stumpjumper 29 St and a Norco Fluid FS 3. What would you say is the biggest differences? I will be riding in the PNW. So lots of roots, rocks and clay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Norco
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Norco over Specialized, but donít forget about Knolly, Kona, and Transition, all PNW brands.

Personally, if I was buying a short travel 29er, Iíd get a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol or the new Ripley.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Fork will be the weak point on both.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Fork will be the weak point on both.
    So what kind of life should one expect from that shock. By weak what do you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Norco over Specialized, but donít forget about Knolly, Kona, and Transition, all PNW brands.

Personally, if I was buying a short travel 29er, Iíd get a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol or the new Ripley.
    I looked at those. But they are going to be out of my price range. Thatís why I narrowed it down to those two.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer767 View Post
    I looked at those. But they are going to be out of my price range. Thatís why I narrowed it down to those two.

I take that back. I might be able to get into a Kona Satori for about the same price.

Short-Change-Hero
    For all intents and purposes both are pretty much the same component wise. Fork is going to be week point because both are low level forks with single adjustment air spring. But aside from that you get pretty nice bikes from both.

At the $2000 range (max budget from what it looks like) you are going to be looking at entry level bikes from just about every brand. What that means is you are going to have base level components, lots of house brand stuff, and other such things. Doesn't mean you can't get a nice bike, just will have more compromises.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Stumpy have a proprietary rear shock? If something happens in the future to the rear shock this would limit your options, if true. Past that, go throw a leg over both and schedule a demo for both. You may find that you like one better than the other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The new Stumpjumpers use normal shocks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Get used off Pinkbike, 2k ainít enough $$ for a decent new fs bike.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    I don't think I would go short travel for the PNW. For what it's worth, the Stumpjumper Comp alloy is a good bike for the money and would serve you well IMO, but ~ $3K.

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    I don't think I would go short travel for the PNW. For what it's worth, the Stumpjumper Comp alloy is a good bike for the money and would serve you well IMO, but ~ $3K.
    I agree, I bought my Comp ST about a month ago and it's my first FS bike. I couldn't be happier with it and have not found one thing I don't like about it so far.
    New bike.-2019-05-10-19.25.52.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I will be doing 90% of my riding at Capital Forest. Do you know the area?

mtbr member
    I will be doing 90% of my riding at Capital Forest. Do you know the area?

No but when you say rocks, roots, and PNW, short travel isn't the first thing that comes to mind. What is the riding like?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    No but when you say rocks, roots, and PNW, short travel isn't the first thing that comes to mind. What is the riding like?
    Nothing to extreme down hill. I guess when I say rocks. Itís like rocks for parts of the trail. Nothing like a actual rock garden. Unless you go to a park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019

These are taken off a trail app and these are others photos. But gives you a idea of the type of riding.

mtbr member
    These are taken off a trail app and these are others photos. But gives you a idea of the type of riding.
    Looks like you could go either way, but LT would be a lot more capable over the big root sections. If you aren't launching off stuff ST would be fine. But given the minimal weight difference and same cost, I would go LT in your situation. I'm on the LT Stumpjumper comp alloy coming off of a shorter travel 29er (HiFi pro) and am really enjoying the LT even on trails that aren't overly technical except places here and there (which looks similar to what you are riding). When I bought my SJ the shop told me it was the ST, but I realized later it wasn't. I wouldn't want the ST after riding the LT. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Looks like you could go either way, but LT would be a lot more capable over the big root sections. If you aren't launching off stuff ST would be fine. But given the minimal weight difference and same cost, I would go LT in your situation. I'm on the LT Stumpjumper comp alloy coming off of a shorter travel 29er (HiFi pro) and am really enjoying the LT even on trails that aren't overly technical except places here and there (which looks similar to what you are riding). When I bought my SJ the shop told me it was the ST, but I realized later it wasn't. I wouldn't want the ST after riding the LT. Just my 2 cents.
    Thank you! I know this subject is probably beaten to death. But this is why I join the forum. So much experience and knowledge.