New 29er need help completing the build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

New 29er need help completing the build

This is my first 29er. Trying to build a budget 29er that is still pretty light and dependable.

Needs:
    Wheelset
    Tires (racing ralph)
    Disk brakes
    25.4 stem
    31.6mm seatpost
    Seat

Short-Change-Hero
    Some questions for you to answer first...
    Style of Riding
    Terrain
    Budget
    Weight (yours)
    New v. Used?
    Anything that is not shown that you have?

Fast bike-slow rider
    I have an Air9 as well. Riding on Stan's 355/ZTR wheels and love em. r2technic.com has some good prices on them and the service was good when I ordered my set. I am using a Syntace P6 aluminum seat post which can be found relatively inexpensively and is lighter than the equivalent Thomson. My large Air9 is sitting at 24.9#s right now and I still have a few parts to sap out. It has a few heavy bits on it still, I bought it used and I love the bike. It should be closer to 23.9-24#s after I finish swapping out the last few heavy bits.
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Ralphs are excellent tires but you might give the new Maxxis Ikon a try. It's lighter, cheaper and so far, as far as I'm concerned, is every bit the tire the Ralph is.

get down!
    I've got a 100mm Thomson in black for sale

PM if interested
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    BB7s keep coming up on chainlove, I just picked up a pair for $80 + shipping, and they came with Cleansweep G2 rotors, not roundagons (bonus!). You can pick up Avid levers for dirt cheap as well. Jenson always has stems and seatposts discounted for really cheap. Chainlove has been putting up WTB Silverado saddles a lot lately too, I picked one up for $60, weighs 199g on my scale, regular price was $150.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

More Info

I ride mostly flowing xc single-track here in SE Michigan, no downhill or freeride. I currently have a Jamis XCT full suspension bike I plan on keeping for the time being.

So far I have the following:

XT M770 Crankset (setting up as a 1x9)
    XT M770 Shifters
    XT M771 Rear Derailleur
    Monkey Lite Carbon Bars.

My primary concern is a wheelset and brakes. I would like to get something sub 2000grams for around $200. I think I may just go with the BB7's from pricepoint unless I can find a mid level hydro set for around $100

Stem, seat post and seat maybe from jenson.

Short-Change-Hero
    Sorry to burst your bubble dude but you are going to be VERY HARD PRESSED to find a sub 2kg wheelset for under $200, actually you will be lucky to find for under $250. I am going to have Orion Cycles build me a set of Stans Flows on M629 hubs with DT Swiss Comp spokes and I am thinking they are going to come in at right around 2kg, and they will cost me $300. Cheaper than that you are probably looking at these Blunts with XT hubs for ~$250 from ebay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just got a pair of those Blunts off eBay and they weigh in about 2200g with skewers. I haven't had a chance to ride them yet so I can't comment on durability. Also if you are patient there is usually an auction running instead of the buy it now options and they can be had for right around $200.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just got a pair of those Blunts off eBay and they weigh in about 2200g with skewers. I haven't had a chance to ride them yet so I can't comment on durability. Also if you are patient there is usually an auction running instead of the buy it now options and they can be had for right around $200.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

thanks

Thanks everyone for posting information.

gregnash, I read your thread about your search for a 29er it is so similar to mine. I was close to getting a motobecane as well because for $1400 it would be hard to beat but I found this Niner for a great price. I have $450 into the frame, fork, and headset. I hope to get the rest for round $550 including the other parts I had on hand. Someone has to have decent OEM take off wheelset for around $200.

I will keep checking your post to watch the build.

Short-Change-Hero
    That is awesome. You will definitely be able to save some cash by going 1x9 as you will be able to get a cheaper crankset and no need for front derailleur or shifter!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Update

I already had an XT crankset and I got 9 speed xt shifters and rear derailleur for $85. Got the easton monkey lite bars for xmas for $46.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you are looking for a saddle there was a recent article at TwentyNineInches that gave the Pure V series from WTB a "Best Of" award. They actually liked the Pure V Race better than the Silverado series if I remember correctly. If I don't like my cheap Giant brand take-off then I will be picking up one of those.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    BB7s keep coming up on chainlove, I just picked up a pair for $80 + shipping, and they came with Cleansweep G2 rotors, not roundagons (bonus!). You can pick up Avid levers for dirt cheap as well. Jenson always has stems and seatposts discounted for really cheap. Chainlove has been putting up WTB Silverado saddles a lot lately too, I picked one up for $60, weighs 199g on my scale, regular price was $150.
    Pricepoint has BB7's with Roundagon rotors for $45
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...t_Rer-2010.htm

But BlueSky Cycling had an ad in this month's MBA for the Avids with the G2 at the same price, but I can't find them on their website, so they're probably sold out. .

Edit: I don't know how heavy they'll be, but I'll sell you the wheelset from the Motobecane I've got coming for cheap. Gravity sealed bearing hubs, made by Formula, and WTB FX28 rims. I've just gotta confirm if they're actually presta valves though, pics show shrader.
    Last edited by rufus; 01-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Build almost complete.

Thanks to MTBR and MMBA members I have all the parts I need to complete the build.

Here are some phone picts of the progress so far:

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Loks good. I was just about to suggest a take-off set of Bontrager wheels via Ebay, as they always seem to be available on there, but it looks like you beat me to it. Enjoy!
    Enjoy the ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0