New 29er on the market....Mrazek! check this out.- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

New 29er on the market....Mrazek! check this out.

Finally got some photos from Jeff Burnard at www.mrazek.com of their new 29er. this one is in japan. supposed to be some coming to the US soon. i've also got a copy of a geometry sketch of a smaller sized bike, but i can't read CZ so....i don't know what all the notations are. my Mrazek hardtail 26er is one of the nicest kids bikes ive ever ridden, but it is a woodsy ride, not a stretched out racer. still, if their big wheels ride like their little wheels, it will be a winner in my book. i hope to have more info soon.
    for your pleasure....
    Attached Images Attached Images

featherweight clydesdale
    I wouldn't kick it out bed, but the bend in the seat tube looks backwards to me.

With all the other curves, why not just a single curve with the seat tube imitating the curve the rear wheel??

dirty hippy mountainbiker

elevation

Thanks for the pic!

How come noone else does the elevated chain stays anymore? Is vertical compliance the only reason for using them?

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Recovering couch patato
    That's just sexy, thanks for posting!
    Don't put your hopes up it'll handle much like a nimble 26"er. That 71 HTA is identical to smaller sized Fishers and Surly's, as well as 99% of all 26" ers in existence. Due to the larger wheels, it will handle considerably slower. Looks like they're trying way hard to keep the bike short, or jsut as close to a poarticular 26" bike.
    I really hope that 75 figure is in degrees seattube angle at bottom, not BB Bracket Drop, otherwise it will scrap the ground more than the first Fishers. From the pic, I fear...
    The bend in the seattube looks cool, but for it to make sence to give the rear tire some room, it's have be even steeper at the bottom. Also, short chainstays aren't that needed. Most folks run setback seatposts with their seat shoved all the way back anyway.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Dec 2004
    A few impressions:

The 71d head-tube angle isn't uncommon - but does feed into the ongoing debate surrounding the "ideal" trail.

(IMO - ideal trail is an output of individual riding style and the terrain one rides on most often. 'Round KC, we have a decent 29er population, with quite a few prefering HT angles in the 72d - 72.5d range with all other variables held constant)

Even with ultra-short chainstays, clearance could be a-ok with the elevated chainstays - though the tire/fder interference issue would remain.

Bottom brack is lowish, with 75mm of drop.

Assuming a conventional seat-tube angle, and enough toptube -- this should be a fun bike, with a bias toward stability vs. ultra-fast handling.

Choice. Choice is good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What a waste

Cheap asian knockoff, that's all, no thought put into the design. Don't be fooled. Would anyone here actually buy this thing?

Feb 2004

they build em' custom, too..

the draft was from earlier this fall. things may have changed, but i see the issue with pedal clearance. the photo is from a bike that just made it to japan. the seat tube angle is around 68 degrees and supposedly puts the rider in a correct position as it is raised up. this allows the post to work with a small amount of suspension action. it really works. i have short femurs and usually need a steep seattube angle, but my mrazek fits better than any bike ive run to date. i use a zero offset thomson post. on my 26 in wheel bike i run five inches of suspension on the front and it handles much better than any hardtail with four up front that ive ever been on. the head tube angle must not be measured the same as they are by the major bike builders, cause it doesn't feel like it gets twitchy or dives much, yet is still very nimble feeling. feels like my old retrotec in a way. it is shorter on the top than any 29er ive ridden, and i use a 120 stem. handles like a dream. i think sometimes, it is all in the complete package of frame, stem, post, fork and rider positioning, not just the angles on paper. i would love to try the 29er someday, just to see if it is as woodsy as my "kids" bike. for what it is worth, my 26er has a traditionally lower bb height than most bikes, but clears obsicles well, due to the short rear end.

Feb 2004

are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    Cheap asian knockoff, that's all, no thought put into the design. Don't be fooled. Would anyone here actually buy this thing?

mrazek has been hand building bikes since around 90. factory is in europe. not asia. what's it a knockoff of? he's been building eleveated chainstay bikes since the days of..uh..um..elevated chainstay bikes. he was a sword maker and aluminum fabricator for the military before building bikes. since i own one of their bikes, i can tell you there is a lot of thought going into the design.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    With all the other curves, why not just a single curve with the seat tube imitating the curve the rear wheel??
    I would think this might put the front derailleur in a bad position, if the bottom of the seat tube was positioned at 1:00 instead of 11:00.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

low bottom bracket-

I want one...

Dan
    no signature

mtbr member
    I love it. I have always loked Mrazeks and this may be the key to me finally getting one.

Aug 2004

Asian knockoff ???

Really now JMKM,
    Mrazek makes a fine and unique european built frame. The region in CZ that they are made has produced some of the best metal workers in the world (knives, guns, watches...)
    Our oldest LBS in Bend, OR. carries their frames and they are beautiful, their jersey is pictured on the website, Mrazek.com.
    This bike can only help the 29er market to grow and provide us with more frame, fork, tire and rim options. It's not bad looking at that.
    Don't be fooled...

mtbr member
    To heck with the angles, that bike is about the curves. Bike sculpture. I wouldn't pass up a chance to ride one . The CZ boys have been on to the 29" concept for awhile. I have a mag from there that has a write up from 3 years ago. Never been able to get it translated however.

What about those yellow rims, Dyads?
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member

Check out the website!

Now that is a cool looking 29er!

I've heard of Mrazek before, but just checked out his website for the first time. Wow, does he have some interesting looking bikes. Visually stimulating for sure, but I wonder how they ride?

Check this design out - would seem to have great vertical compliance for bump absorption:

Paul

Jan 2004

Translation for you

Nothing too exciting in the notes on the sketch I'm afraid...

Up the top it says "Dimensional sketch of frame for 29" wheel"

The numbers speak for themselves (note the very long fork!)

Down the bottom it says "Length of front part (670mm) can be according to wishes (longer or shorter)"

Looks nice, Mrazeks are lovely bikes.

JMKM, you've got no idea....

Sam

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    The CZ boys have been on to the 29" concept for awhile. I have a mag from there that has a write up from 3 years ago. Never been able to get it translated however.
    Bigwheel, I'd be happy to do the translation and get it up on here if you're able to scan and send it to me. Just let me know.

Marathon racing is pretty huge here (I live in Prague), and there are a lot of hybrids around as well, so it's no surprise to me that 29"ers are reasonably popular. That said, the only ones I've really seen in shops are Fishers and the occasional Nishiki. From previous information Duratec (Al only) and Morati (Ti only) will also do 29" though I've never seen either. I've also emailed with Fort about it and they seem confident of being able to do steel custom. A couple of smaller framebuilders I've spoken to have also done 29" wheeled customs.

Sam

May 2004

EBB versions also

I got an email with the same picture the other day. They will be making some with EBB's for use as a singlespeed. I've been looking for a 29er SS and this may be it.

Any of you who have a Mrazek, how does it ride compared to a steel bike?

Feb 2004

the small wheel version is very smooth.

Any of you who have a Mrazek, how does it ride compared to a steel bike?[/QUOTE]

i am kind of a bigger guy, six two and about 210, so take my comparison for what it is worth. i like steel bikes for comfort and aluminum bikes for their direct feel in the slow speed, hike a bike, trialsy riding stuff. ok, so my opinion is this: the mrazek feels similar to, say, a santa cruz chameleon as far as point and shoot goes. directional imput is instantaneous. the bike is solid. it is not, however, a super light racing bike. that being said, it doesn't feel like crap to me, like a three and a half pound alloy racing rig. when you stomp, it squirts forward, when you turn, it turns, when you hit a bump,.well it is aluminum. but here's the good part. the seat angle is designed to lay the post back to give compliance. ive ridden with a use sus post before, and it isn't that plush, and i have ridden an old retrotec with about four feet of custom made ti post sticking out and it IS that smooth. if you are light, you may want to use a good ti post, mine is a thomson. you can feel the post flex and absorb impact. you can see it move, too. it doesn't feel like the bike is getting kicked off line, either. i have a feeling the bike flexes latreally more than a traditional aluminum frame, but not enough to visably notice or to missshift or anything. honestly, it feels very much like a steel rig comfort wise, except it doesn't have that resiliancy feeling that a good steel bike has, and it doesn't get vague feeling in the rocks when you are flying downhill. it has the solid feeling of an older style alloy bike. think early 90's aluminum racer, without the sting. it just wants to go. seated at speed, even with the smaller wheels, it is much more comfortable than the airborne ti 29er i had recently. i really enjoy the bike. i will buy another to replace the one i have when the time comes. sorry that's so long, but i hope it helps.