New 29 incher from Peak- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New 29 incher from Peak

Pic below, scanned from a magazine, shows an '04 Peak. Price is 75% of the Swedish '04 X-Caliber price, which is 75% higher than the US price. This is one of the big brands in Sweden in the very-low-price segment, marketed in low-price sports stores. This model may be its most expensive ever. More inexpensive 29 inch models are on the way, according to a dealer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

get down!
    that thing is ridiculously ugly...

why don't they just complete the seat tube, then get rid of all that crap in the front triangle...ughh

good to see more 29ers are being offerred though
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Jan 2004
    I'm not sure if my USD/SEK mental currency calculator is failing me, but is that an XTR (at least partly) bike for around USD 1300? That seems like a pretty good deal no matter how ugly the frame is - I agree with appleSSeed that it is horrendous. However, it doesn't really look like there's an awful lot of XTR on it apart from a pre-04 rear derailleur....

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    I'm not sure if my USD/SEK mental currency calculator is failing me, but is that an XTR (at least partly) bike for around USD 1300? That seems like a pretty good deal no matter how ugly the frame is - I agree with appleSSeed that it is horrendous. However, it doesn't really look like there's an awful lot of XTR on it apart from a pre-04 rear derailleur....
    I have a currency converter link: http://www.xe.com/ucc/ but I don't know what currency they are talking about about.

However, if thier price is 75% above a US X-cal, and it's marked 75% off, that's a pretty simple problem:

$1050 + 75% = 1050 x 1.75 = $1837

75% of $1837 = $1377

So if what he said about is correct, the price in USD is $1377. Excellent guess at $1300.

Recovering couch patato
    If done properly, the interrupted seat tube could allow for a very short chainstay length at still a sleck seat angle, if the builder choses it to be that way. The negative rise stem and low standover are signs of a thought-through product. However, it looks liek they started with an FS model and int he end lacked the rear damper, and made it a hardtail after all. Are those 140mm disc rotors?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Jan 2004
    Well, he said Swedish X-Cal price, so I assumed he meant this ad came from a Swedish mag, and that price would be in Swedish Kroner. Also, the text looks kind of Swedish to my untrained eye. You currently need to spend around 7.7 kroner to buy yourself a greenback....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, the currency is Swedish kronor. Here is how I calculated:

X-Cal in the US: USD 950 (I see I was wrong here)
    X-Cal in Sweden: SEK 13000 = USD 13000/7.7 = about USD 1700 and 75% more than in the US
    Mt Remarkable: SEK 10000 = about 75% of the Swedish X-Cal (I assume the Peak "Lev rek ca" or MSRP is one of those never-seen-in-reality prices)

The '03 Mt Remarkable was specified with an '02 XTR rear derailleur and everything else being Deore, LX, or similar, and had a huge XTR sticker on the (conventional) frame. I have not yet seen this year's version in reality, but it seems specified in the same fashion, although the XTR sticker is down-toned.

Last year, Peak had four different 29 inch wheeled MTB models, so I guess there will come a couple of lower priced followers to this presumed top model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Idea! Who Is Peak? anyone got a web or email?

He guys,
    Anden said in his las Peak posting with the Mt Macedon etc, that this was an Australian brand, sorry that are not.

I've been chasing down here in Austraila for over a month and no one in the bike biz knows who Peak is anything about thne let alone their 29ers.

I can say the name were definitely Australian as the were name after different mountain all over the country. Tell you what would luv to know who there folks are and how to contact them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually, ozbikebuddy, I said "I haven't found any web site for 'Peak' either, only some few Australian web shops that are also selling low-end Peak bikes, although no 29 inchers. The sales guy I spoke to said it was 'their own brand'".

One of those web shops I referred to is http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/catal..._Mt_Remarkable, and it sure look like another brand. Seems reasonable to believe that this is the sports chain's own brand (owned and protected only in Sweden), just like they said, and that they picked an Australia marketing theme because they thought it would sell well. I wouldn't be surprised if these bikes are made in Taiwanese high-speed production lines where you would find many different brand stickers. The sports chain probably has no international business, and at its site www.sportex.se you will only find contact info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My LBS has Peak bikes in stock, I'm from Brisbane Australia.I never really paid much attention to them, they only had a few cheaper road bikes in stock. I'll see what further details I can get about them for the Australian market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just thought I would post the rest of this year's Peak 29 inch bikes, now that they are on the shop floors. Mt Macedon (red) is 400, Mt Sturt (black) 500, and Mt Cook (blue) 700. "Tried" one of them in the store, and noticed that my legs almost touched the dual seat tubes. Salesguy said they come in one size only (about 19.5" CT, 13" virtual CC, and 25.0" eff TT. Also below is a pic of one of their 26" frame springs, that the 29" frames perhaps were prepared for.
    Attached Images Attached Images