New 2011 American Classic 29er wheelsets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New 2011 American Classic 29er wheelsets

Hello!

A Happy New Year from Germany to everybody!

The wheelset is one of the big issues at my first 29er project. On my search through the WWW I found the new 2011er Rawtype AC wheelset.

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products.../mtb29disc.php

At the first sight I was hooked from the new design. It would be more than perfectly fit to my new bike. But design is not the main issue on a light weight wheelset. Iíve read many positive feetbacks about the 2010 29er AC version here in the forum. But also some negative about loose freehubs. The reason why I am looking for a 29er HT bike instead of a new 26er is that I plan to start at the Tour Divide MTB Race next year (hopefully). A loose freehub that needs to be tighten several times during the race is nearly a ďNo GoĒ for the wheelset to me. But this would be an issue that I have to figure out in extensive tests during the next bike season.

What I like to know is the specification of the AC specific rims and which version of the wheelset I should prefer. There is one set for XC/Marathon usage and one for All Mountain/Enduro available. The difference between both sets are the rims, obviously (50g more per wheel for the All Mountain version). My first thought was take the All Mountain version for an event like the TD. But maybe there are no arguments for me against to take the XC-Version (my weight 187lbs - nudely).
    Is anybody out there who can tell me something more about the rims. (inner wide, cutaway view, weight). I think the inner wide of the 2010 XC version is about 22mm?? But what is about the All Mountain version? And where does the 50g per wheel come from?
    Unfortunately at the AC-website are no further details to find about the rims. I donít know why? Is it a company secret?
    I would appreciate any help!
    Thanks!

Kind regards from Germany

Michael

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    i'm currently using the 2011 american classic 29er mtb (xc version).

i'm 195 lbs. I've been using it since november 2010, no problems so far. Joined a bit of xc race once, did some muddy rides, a bit of a gnarly xc ride. no big air so far aside from a 1 foot drop.

been rolling smoothly since day 1. rims are still true. haven't experienced any of the loosening hubs.

skewers

rear wheelset

front wheelset

extra weights

100 grams more than claimed... maybe they didn't put the rim strips in the posted weight.

sorry didn't take any measurements.

p.s. i put in non-tubeless crossmarks on it, sealed up quick with stans.

mtbr member
    I personally wouldn't trust AC's rear hub for a race like the Tour Divide. I LOVE AC's rims (very strong) but I have had two of their rear hubs fail on me "each with less than 1000 miles on them". I have ridden Mavic's Crossmax 29er wheels and was really impressed with them. That will likely be my next wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I haven't used the 2011 version...but had a set of 08's.( along with a bunch of other boutique wheels)
    Had no problems with the AC's ( can't say that about most of the other bling wheels)....but I sold them.

You might want to ping Mikesee here or his site lacemine29.com
    He has built a couple of wheelsets for me and are the only one I have now.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IstongKowldPaRin
    i'm currently using the 2011 american classic 29er mtb (xc version).

i'm 195 lbs. I've been using it since november 2010, no problems so far. Joined a bit of xc race once, did some muddy rides, a bit of a gnarly xc ride. no big air so far aside from a 1 foot drop.

been rolling smoothly since day 1. rims are still true. haven't experienced any of the loosening hubs.

skewers

rear wheelset

front wheelset

extra weights

100 grams more than claimed... maybe they didn't put the rim strips in the posted weight.

sorry didn't take any measurements.

p.s. i put in non-tubeless crossmarks on it, sealed up quick with stans.
    FYI - the white ones are heavier then the black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard
    FYI - the white ones are heavier then the black
    I am only interested in the Rawtype version. And they are black. I'll get a Felt Nine Team in March and the Rawtype version would perfectly fit to the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My new wheels.

So far, I like mine. Light and stiff. XC version. I weigh 145 lbs.
    I don't have too many miles on them yet but I havn't noticed anything loose.
    I've had several sets of AC hubs and have never noticed any looseness. Maybe my shop has tightened them for me (old set), but they have never held me back. I have raced several years on AC hubs. Mostly XC but some rough and some rodie type races. All in all they have been very reliable.
    Mine also weighed over the stated weight.

New 2011 American Classic 29er wheelsets-dsc00122.jpg
    Last edited by gnriden; 01-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Yes, this is the Rawtype version. Perfect look!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have been very happy with my 2011 American Classics.
    I have 5 bikes and they all have AC hubs. They have been very good to me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2011 American Classic 29er wheelsets-sultan-bike-only.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0