Neo Retro brakes- Mtbr.com
    Law
    45 gone, 15 to go

Neo Retro brakes

Anyone using Paul's Neo Retro brakes on a mountain bike? I just put the on my cross bike.....un-freaking-believable!!!! They stop on a dime and have tons of clearance. Easy to set up too.

They stop at least as well as any disc brakes I have owned. They'd be great for mud or anything else one would come across I would think. Think of the weight savings too. Cheaper than discs to boot. The old Curtlo SS will probably get a pair.

The only problem would be lever compatibility since they would not work with v-brake levers.

Edit: This is my cross bike in its commuter version. I need to get a different set of specers to play around with the stem height, I just didn't want to cut the steerer too short. I have only had the fork for a few days. Brakes are great and they look different for sure. I would have believed they stopped so well from just looking at them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Law; 02-10-2006 at 09:39 AM.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Bored

2 things?

1) Pics please!!

2) the price on Pauls site..is that front and rear?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    1) Pics please!!

2) the price on Pauls site..is that front and rear?

1) pics in the morning tomorrow....I hope
    2) The price on the website is per brake....Ouch! I worked a deal with Bikeman last week and got them for $75 each. I checked ebay and a new set just sold for over $80, so that was a pretty good deal. Speedgoat is less than retail too. They are pretty nice little bits of CNC goodness. Mine are anno black.

oh here is the link to the Paul website: Neo Retro Brakes

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    I've got them on my cross bike too and like them every much. Actually touring rear/neo retro front (that rear neo is nasty on the leg on dismounts).

Re: the levers...doesn't Paul make a nice canti compatible lever?

I think they would be real nice on a MTB.

LP

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    I've got them on my cross bike too and like them every much. Actually touring rear/neo retro front (that rear neo is nasty on the leg on dismounts).

Re: the levers...doesn't Paul make a nice canti compatible lever?

I think they would be real nice on a MTB.

LP

Yeah, I wonder how it will be on dismounts, but I will give it a go. Touring brake is slightly cheaper anyway if I have to go to it, I don't want to though. The neo's have such a great feel. Quite a few folks that run neo's do the touring in the rear. I think that because my frame isn't too small (57-58, I can't remember which) my leg should be far enough a way not to hit much on the dismounts.

By the way, as a follow up to a prior discussion, finished the semester with a pretty high GPA, which took me from just above mid pack, to nearly top quarter. I send out a batch of application materials next week. Nothing in TN though

I am just applying pretty much to anything that is NOT volunteer. Even one summer clerk job in Alaska! That would be sweet at least for the summer, not too sure about the rest of the year though.

Paul does make an excellent short pull lever. Very light too. You just have to run shift pods and not the shimano all in one units that they like to push on everyone.
    Last edited by Law; 02-10-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Yep, I have them on my 29er-fixie and they work great! I managed to get an old Paul lever to use with them on the Jones Bars.

Only problem is that combined with Kool Stop salmon pads the front end can judder in certain places (mainly when there is lots of grip!) and watching the fork legs flex 1/2" is kind of scary!

Alex

"Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

voodoo child

Love 'em

I am one cheap basterd, so it was pretty tough for me to cough up $78 bucks for just a front set. But the Avid Shorties on my CX were driving me nuts and I was desparate. That was 3 years ago, and I can say without a doubt that the Neos are the best component I've ever purchased.

I had them on my fixed KM for a bit (as the only brake), and now they are on the fixed/free CXer (sometimes as the only brake, sometimes paired with the aforementioned Shorty). They've been tremendous in all conditions. And even better when the (decent) original Black Kool Stop pads wore out and were replaced by the Salmon version.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

R I D E S T E E L
    very cool law, thanks for posting. i have a friend that actually runs some of the old mafacs. while their cool, they really kind of suck.

i may have to look into these, as i'm buidling for v-brakes / cantis.

Not because I'm fast.....

Cantis are great!

I have not used the Pauls, but I have two sets of NOS XT Cantis from 1989-1990 that are incredible with Kool Stop pads and a Salsa straddle wire hanger. There was a guy who had 500 or so NOS pairs that he was selling on Ebay a while back. Probably one of the best canti brakes ever made in my opinion. Tricky to set up though.

Harriscyclery still has some of these in stock. http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cantilevers/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    I am one cheap basterd, so it was pretty tough for me to cough up $78 bucks for just a front set. But the Avid Shorties on my CX were driving me nuts and I was desparate. That was 3 years ago, and I can say without a doubt that the Neos are the best component I've ever purchased.

I had them on my fixed KM for a bit (as the only brake), and now they are on the fixed/free CXer (sometimes as the only brake, sometimes paired with the aforementioned Shorty). They've been tremendous in all conditions. And even better when the (decent) original Black Kool Stop pads wore out and were replaced by the Salmon version.
    hmmm. during cross season it wont take long to wear out pads, on my Avid shorty's I went through a set every 3 or races when it was muddy. I know people were using the Salmons on the spookys especially, so I will remember them when it comes time to replace the these pads. Thanks!

rm -fr *
    I have Pauls brakes on my Jake the Snake CX bike and really like them. I use the Paul Touring brakes on the rear because the Neo-Retros stick out a lot and I didnt want my shoes to hit them.

I've been using Bicycle Nut for components lately and they have great prices on the Pauls:
    'http://bicyclenut.net/site/intro.cfm?PageID=53&SKU=BR8865

mtbr member
    I run them on my CX bike too. I had them on the front and rear, but eventually took them off the rear as I tended to kick them during dismounts, which more than once jammed the pads under the rim. But for the front they work well enough, and look cool.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I doubt

I doubt they will brake better than $9 V brakes. MTB is so much harder on brakes than cross. A brake with more clearance has more travel and less power typically.
    I feel it's sad that radius canti,s are not made anymore. I might buy Neo,s for my crossbike. For MTN Disc and V,s are the way to go. IMHO.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    I doubt they will brake better than $9 V brakes. MTB is so much harder on brakes than cross. A brake with more clearance has more travel and less power typically.
    I feel it's sad that radius canti,s are not made anymore. I might buy Neo,s for my crossbike. For MTN Disc and V,s are the way to go. IMHO.

Ok so maybe you are the most realistic one here. I don't know if they brake better than b-brakes for sure, but damn they seem to. but I am biased.

As far as mtb being harder on brakes than cross, maybe in your area. If pads are a way to tell how hard a particular use is, I would say cross is harder. I go through pads very quickly during the sloppy-muddy-messy racing season. I don't go though pads quickly otherwise. I can't imagine that these are any less durable than v-brakes.

you are certainly right about the cost though. Still for muddy slopy riding, you would be much better off with these over v's. But realistically the main time I run in mud is during cross not mountain biking. So perhaps they are overkill

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk

Alex - that bike needs a honey Brooks more than any bike I have ever seen

Love it!

LP

Members who have read this thread: 1