Need sizing help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Need sizing help

I am a newbie and need help, please.

I am interested in a Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL Mountain Bike.

I assume I would need either a 19Ē or 21Ē but am not sure which one. The company recommended a 21Ē with the below information, but based on their own sizing chart http://motobecane.com/29geometry.html it seems to be too big for me (at least the standover height appears to be). I canít go to a LBS because they rarely have 29ers for sale and that is what is forcing me to buy online (that, plus you seem to get the same quality bike for half the price). I owned several bikes when I was younger but canít recall their sizes, and all the frame geometry charts and sizing information on the web is confusing and sometimes even contradictory. I can tell from this site that you all are the most passionate and knowledgeable people out there so Iím sure Iíll get the best treatment here. Thanks, and let me know if more information is needed.

Height is 6'3" with shoes

Inseam is 34" from crotch to floor using the books between your legs method

Weight ranges from 235-250 lbs. (but I would like to be 210 lbs. - part of the reason for wanting a bike again)

Length from armpit to tip of middle finger is 31"

Height from bellybutton to top of head is 30"

Torso from crotch to Adamís apple is 31Ē

AZ
    banned
    A 21 " is going to be just big enough , I am the same size and ride a 21 " Fisher 29er . Good luck .

mtbr member
    I agree based on your height, and reach you need the 21. The 21" Moto has a frighteningly tall, manhood threatening stand over for a guy with your inseam.
    If you ride anything other than bike paths you may want to consider a frame that fits.
    Last edited by Bondseye; 02-17-2010 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    On 2nd look you should be fine.

I don't know where you got the fit page you provided, but according to this: http://motobecane.com/29/f29psl.html#geo the stand over is 32.95" That makes more sense than the 34" listed on the link you posted. You may want to double check those numbers over the phone before you buy.

Members who have read this thread: 0