Need a short travel "playful" FS frame.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Need a short travel "playful" FS frame.

So I'm doing a little research for a friend here. He's looking to build up an FS 29er with 100-120mm of travel. We have most of the parts so frame only will be the best bet. He seems to really like the feel of my yelli screamy so progressive geometry would be nice (short stays, slack headtube, low BB etc.) I realize that bikes in this travel bracket will have more XCish geo but the closer to the yelli, the better.

The Process 111 would be ideal but frames won't be available for quite some time and when they do, they'll probably be out of budget. A used frame or a heavily discounted new one is a much more likely option. Budget for a frame is no more than $1200.

So I've been looking at the Tallboy, Pivot Mach 429, Yeti SB95 (unlikely I know), Rocky mountain element, Salsa Spearfish

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Devinci Atlas would be one to look at. Short stays, not super slack, but not steep either.

Vincit qui patitur
    Salsa Horsethief?
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Iím looking for something similar and also have a Canfield YS. The bikes on my radarÖ

Banshee Phantom - Not released yet
    Transition Bandit - Good value IMO
    Nicolai Helius TR - To spendy
    Lenz Mammoth or possibly the Leviathan - Always seem to get good reviews
    Canfield is rumored to have a 29er, but I donít think anybody knows anything about it.

I think youíre going to have a tough time finding something around $1200. The Transition would check off your geo requirements and have the best price.

AOK
    mtbr member

Need a short travel "playful" FS frame.

I saw a Banshee Prime in the classifieds recently for around $1200 (no affiliation, just passing along info). Not exactly a short travel frame but it is a fun bike.

I have a Prime and think it compares favorably to the Bandit 29, despite having a little (10mm) more travel and slightly longer stays. The only big drawback is that it is a little heavy (but a lot stiffer). Biggest difference is that the Prime wants a 140mm fork while my Bandit was happy as low as 120mm.

Trans Bandit 29 is a great fun bike and does a good job of being the mythical "Yelli Squishy". If you watch MTBR and Pinkbike classifieds you can probably score a used Bandit. Still a chance you could find a 2013 closeout in your price range too.

I would probably have gone for the Banshee Phantom over my Prime if it had been available last fall. It will likely fit your needs, but it won't be out until spring at earliest and will probably be more than $1200.

I would look at the new Spearfish and Horsethief with shorter stays and Split Pivot suspension. I had a Spearfish a few years back and really liked it. Shorter stays and better suspension should make these really great bikes. I have had good experiences with Salsa customer service as well. Ping Chad at RedBarn and he can probably hook you up with a good deal on Salsa (or Banshee for that matter).

formerly Giantxc

Re: Need a short travel "playful" FS frame.

Devinci Atlas sounds like it would fit the bill, particularly with a 120mm fork. I find mine very playful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    A specialized camber aluminum frame if you can find one.

mtbr member
    Niner Jett?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDALE SS View Post
    Niner Jett?
    Right; the Niner Jet 9 frame (alloy) is still on sale at PricePoint for $899.

mtbr member
    Kona Satori frames I've seen range from $550 to under a $1000.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Ok, seriously? That's an 18.25" chainstay bike, that's bat-****-crazy chainstay length, and the niner is 18", these are the complete opposite of what the OP asked for. At least the Kona Satori is 15mm shorter than the niner. Come on people...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    There's a guy selling Hammerhead Thumper frames in the classifieds for $650 or something--sounds like it might fit the bill.

edit: here
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re: Need a short travel "playful" FS frame.

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    There's a guy selling Hammerhead Thumper frames in the classifieds for $650 or something--sounds like it might fit the bill.

edit: here
    That's Wes at http://www.pinkgorillabicycles.com . He carries hammerhead as well as devinci, and I know he's owned both as personal bikes, so he'd be a good one to get compare/contrast from.

They are going through a rebranding to http://www.velorangutan.com due to a dispute with some Specialized-like company that sells wheel automotive wheel locks and claims a trademark on the word "gorilla", but it looks like both websites are still running.

I purchased my devinci from Wes and can recommended him without reservation. Stand up guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    Devinci Atlas would be one to look at. Short stays, not super slack, but not steep either.
    This. And, they're closing out last years model for cheap $1,329.00

Devinci Atlas Alloy Frame - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I was kind of hoping for a year or two old used frame. I've seen a few of the bikes I listed in the $8-900 range.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Iím looking for something similar and also have a Canfield YS. The bikes on my radarÖ

Banshee Phantom - Not released yet
    Transition Bandit - Good value IMO
    Nicolai Helius TR - To spendy
    Lenz Mammoth or possibly the Leviathan - Always seem to get good reviews
    Canfield is rumored to have a 29er, but I donít think anybody knows anything about it.

I think youíre going to have a tough time finding something around $1200. The Transition would check off your geo requirements and have the best price.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Don't know if you can get it as a frame, but the Kona Process 111 seems to fit the bill.

Kona Process 111 DL - Review - Pinkbike
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Picked up a 2month used Devinci Atlas Carbon on Ebay today. It came with a 40series headset, bottom bracket, and a Magura TS8 120mm fork. Cost me $1500 for the lot. I think I got a pretty good deal as the frame looks to be in great shape.