Need input to my winterbike setup (3500USD budget)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need input to my winterbike setup (3500USD budget)

Hi MTBR

I really want a second (29'er) bike in my garage to spare my race bike from getting too trashed over the winter and practice.
    I want my new bike to perform superbly in mud so I'm thinking fully rigid and 1x9 or 1x10 (this is where I need help)?

This is what I have in mind so far:

Tires, Schwalbe Nobby Nic
    Fork, Niner carbon
    Stem, Ritchey WCS 110mm
    Brakes, Formula RX + NewUltimate discs
    Rear derailleur, ????
    Chain, ????
    Chaingaurd, Superstar XCR
    Cassette, ????
    Chainset, KCNC XC1 K-Type with a 34 or 36T
    Shifter, ????
    Grips, SRAM rubber
    Headset, Superstar GTO
    Wheels, American Classic 29 MTB (donated from racebike)
    Frame, Pipedream Sirius Ti 29
    Saddle, Charge Knife
    Seatpost, New Ultimate Carbon
    Seatclamo, New Ultimate
    Handlebar, S-Works Carbon Flatbar
    Pedals, Eggs
    Cables, sealed Alligator I-link

TIA

Waiting for Godot
    you might want to go with a more traditional square shaped carbon fork design for more mud clearance. the niner carbon can be snug with mud build up, YMMV depending on mud type.

also the performance access frame can accommodate the larger 2.4, 2.55 tires with room to spare, so same reason there.

sram steel cassette will last longer in the muck as well.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    you might want to go with a more traditional square shaped carbon fork design for more mud clearance. the niner carbon can be snug with mud build up, YMMV depending on mud type.

also the performance access frame can accommodate the larger 2.4, 2.55 tires with room to spare, so same reason there.

sram steel cassette will last longer in the muck as well.
    You've got some good points there. I just choose the Niner because of the weight. I have already settled on frame. Pipedream Sirius Ti 29, my life's to short for aluminium and boring frames.

30-ton War Machine

That is with a Kodiak front tire, plenty of clearance, Clarence.

Spooooon!
    Go with a Salsa Mukluk for $1500 USD and then spend the rest on beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks like sufficient clearance, I think I'll stick to the Niner fork then.

I would much appreciate input on gear options? Maybe the new Shimano XT 10 speed or the new SRAM X.9 10 speed? I would like that 36T together with a 34T in the front.

SEC 10 speed gripshifter with a XTR rd on a 11-36?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    Go with a Salsa Mukluk for $1500 USD and then spend the rest on beer.
    Haha, not that I've ever seen og tried one, but I can't imagine it to perform very well in mud. Looks VERY heavy too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've used my custom steel frame / steel fork in the Danish mud for the last 18 months. My old (+4 years) Sram X.0 rear mech with alloy cage has worked very well with an XT cassette (11-34) and X.0 gripshifts. I'm running a 36T up front. In the mud you don't want bling, you just want things to work.

This winter I'm going to set it up singlespeed (32 - 21) with Nobby Nic tires. Should be a very nice winter setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    I've used my custom steel frame / steel fork in the Danish mud for the last 18 months. My old (+4 years) Sram X.0 rear mech with alloy cage has worked very well with an XT cassette (11-34) and X.0 gripshifts. I'm running a 36T up front. In the mud you don't want bling, you just want things to work.

This winter I'm going to set it up singlespeed (32 - 21) with Nobby Nic tires. Should be a very nice winter setup.
    I always want bling, but surely it needs to function properly
    It's not only going to be used in mud and snow, but also in races where suspension and a 3x9 gear range is not needed.
    Isn't there someone out there by now, who makes a 9 speed 11-36 cassette?

BTW rasse if you want nice mudtires, then try out the Maxxis Medusa. 500g each and twice as much traction as NN.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    BTW rasse if you want nice mudtires, then try out the Maxxis Medusa. 500g each and twice as much traction as NN.
    AFAIK the Medusa only comes in 26"...? I've used them a lot on my old bikes before going to 29er. I'm still looking for the perfect 29er winter tires...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    AFAIK the Medusa only comes in 26"...? I've used them a lot on my old bikes before going to 29er. I'm still looking for the perfect 29er winter tires...?
    Ohh. I'm sorry, I just didn't realize that your winterbike was a 29'er. My bad.

Can we agree that we need a 29x2.0 Medusa then

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The tread on the Bontrager Mud X TLR looks a lot like the Medusa so maybe I should try it on the rear instead of the NN...?

http://www.29squadron.com/product.php?id_product=34

For the front I don't know...maybe NN or an Ardent 2.4...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah the Mud X looks alright?!

I don't know about the Ardent 2.4 tho. Knobs looks well spaced but kinda low?
    I generally like narrow-ish tires in mud but the Ardent will supply a good amount of suspension on the other hand.
    I find myself in this situation often. All things has positives and negatives and it's a tough job finding the one with the least negatives and most positives.

Members who have read this thread: 0