gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Need Help Picking NEW 29 Hardtail

Have been looking for new bike for fairly aggressive trail riding in S.WI in $2500-$3000 range. Not liking full suspension bikes in that price range. Liking hard tail better. Later 40s 200lb guy that still like to go fast and see what he can do.

Like Kona Honzo ST but only can find 30th pricy for what bike is.

Looking at JensonUSA build of Chromag Rootdown with 140mm pike. Wondering if Root down would be good or if too slack and down hill orientated.

Have even considered picking up Epic carbon comp HT because they are closing them out cheap.

Suggestions Thoughts?

Thanks,

GNA

mtbr member
    You're unlikely to find a Honzo 30th anniversary unless a shop already has it in stock I think. Check out the Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. You can get one pretty decked out in your price range.

jcd's best friend
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    this is a super value here these just came out last friday, some are currently sold out keep an eye out for when they go back in stock if your size is not available the lyric is pretty solid, i would go for the essential build.

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCat...BCATID=3534531

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i would get the frame and build it up. Canfield EPO are at 799. They arent listing sizes so Im not sure what they have left.

Get a rockshox pike (used) 140mm for $400-600, XT drivetrain/brakes for 350 (chain reaction), chinese carbon rims (400) with hope pro hubs at 350. Plus extra bits like seat post, seat, bars, stem for around $200.

former lurker
    Jun 2018
    I've got a 2017 Rootdown BA set up with a 160mm fork and 27.5+. I absolutely love it. If you want a hardtail for aggressive trail riding, the Rootdown (or something with similar geometry) is a great option. I REALLY like the steep seat angle/slack head angle coupled with a long front-center, and have gone that way with my full-sus bike too.

If I moved back to WI it could be my only bike... with a 29" wheelset thrown in the mix.

I've also heard a ton of good things about the pedalhead and own a full-sus GG bike. They're good people and make good bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You'll only need a really good 120mm in SE MI. Like a Manitou Mattoc Pro IRT. You can adjust it to 140 if you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This is just a suggestion but in your case i would buy a 4,000$ bike but used. Get some heavy duty wheels so your bike will be running non stop.
    I am 60 and my only bike is a 22 pounder HT 100mm. For a light weight like me it is a great match. Well i have a fat for our 4 white months.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There are some really good deals on Timberwolves out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I own a Pedalhead, itís amazing, makes the Honzo look dated; I used to ride a Honzo.

Equipped with some 2.6-2.8 tires, 120-130mm fork, itís a beast that can handle anything you can dish.

The GG builds are a good deal, esp for a made in the USA steel frame.

The e13/GX drivetrain is excellent and inexpensive.
    Pike with a TRP Ramp is sweet and light.
    I was able to fit a 170mm dropper in a large frame

They maintain their value...
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Picked up 30th Honzo at LBS. Could not resist. upgraded to GX eagle. Can't believe how fast 29's are compared to 26. Still learning bike think I have to get more forward in the downs instead of back seating it like old hard tails I have had.

Had not heard of GG till last week or so. Look super cool will have to see if can ride one some day. Hard to do in WI.