Need help on camparisons for a FS XC bike similar to the Trek Top Fuel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Need help on camparisons for a FS XC bike similar to the Trek Top Fuel

After riding my Giant XTC 29er Hardtail since 2012 I've decided I want a FS XC bike. I ride mostly XC trails that are hardpack with some loose over the top. There are some rocky areas where we ride but it's mostly open trail/ single track that's not too technical.
    I'm not a racer but like a bike that climbs well over anything else.

I'm looking at the Trek Top Fuel and the Fuel Ex for starters. I really like the Maestro suspension but am waiting for Giant to update the Anthem 29er or come up with something new next year.

Any recommendations for XC bikes in the 100-120mm suspension range with similar geometry? I'm looking to stay under 3K so I have some money for a new wheelset and parts upgrades.

mtbr member
    What about the trance?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post
    What about the trance?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Do they still make the trance 29? The 650b trance is not an xc bike by any means.
    Other bikes to consider would be specialized epic/camber, norco revolver/new optic, Santa Cruz tallboy (the new tall boy 3 compares to the fuel or camber), if you like the Maestro suspension you could look at something dw link since that's where they copied it from, maybe a Pivot.

I'm sure there are many other options in the short travel xc/light trail 29 category as well.

mtbr member
    Maestro suspension works well for your riding/terrain. The Anthem Advanced 29 can be one of the lightest carbon XC bikes depending on the build. My 1X10 large comes in around 23lbs. Running a 120 fork gives the bike more of a "trail" feel but doesn't compromise climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    After riding my Giant XTC 29er Hardtail since 2012 I've decided I want a FS XC bike. I ride mostly XC trails that are hardpack with some loose over the top. There are some rocky areas where we ride but it's mostly open trail/ single track that's not too technical.
    I'm not a racer but like a bike that climbs well over anything else.

I'm looking at the Trek Top Fuel and the Fuel Ex for starters. I really like the Maestro suspension but am waiting for Giant to update the Anthem 29er or come up with something new next year.

Any recommendations for XC bikes in the 100-120mm suspension range with similar geometry? I'm looking to stay under 3K so I have some money for a new wheelset and parts upgrades.
    Giant went through that litigation about stealing Doug Weagle's rear suspension design. Can they do a suspension upgrade with their stuff to get the chainstays shorter? They haven't yet. And DW isn't going to help.
    I wouldn't buy that suspension with the other options out there.

The Top Fuel is a good bike so far.
    Review: Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL | BIKE Magazine
    Negotiate with a manager(only) for 15-20% off. It's discretionary so you may have to hit a few shops.
    If you want to save money and weight you should really be looking at a SF 9.6 or 7. They have excellent rear vertical compliance engineered in. Wide rims add more.
    2017 models will likely have Boost and possibly some form of Isospeed.

Short-Change-Hero
    Lots and lots of bikes out there in the 100-120mm range now days and like eb1888 said, there are going to be some major changes for 2017 model years (end of this year shows) so we could possibly see more 29er stuff or less.

First things first though, what is your budget?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    under 3K

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I rode both of the Treks, liked both. Ended up getting a great deal on a Pivot 429sl, if not for the deal I would have most likely gone with either the Fuel ex or Pivot 429 trail.

After riding the SL for the last couple months I am really glad I did not go with slacker trail model. After reading all the reviews on these I really thought I would need to extra travel, but given my terrain the 100mm back and 120mm in front are plenty. Best thing is being light, smooth pedaling and rigid is it flies up hills and has a supple enough rear suspension to eat up the technical climbs.

I liked the Maestro on my older Anthem, but they don't make them in 29er anymore.
    2015 Pivot 429sl XX1 build