need help with buying a used bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

need help with buying a used bike

new to mtb an need help, pretty clueless in evaluating bikes. The one I am looking at is custom build so bicycle blue book is no good. Started riding for fitness with the virus and then some local trails and fell in love with it. Have a used Specialized Chisel with 100mm travel but some of the trails are bumpy on it, and thinking of just switching the tires to 700x42 and riding flat stuff.

Found the below bike on Craigslist, need advice if it represents a good value. I am older (47), so don't need latest gear, it was a custom build from 3-4 years ago, wondering if its outdated and what would you pay for it.

Thank you very much for the advice.

https://reno.craigslist.org/bik/d/re...141450714.html

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Its a nice build and nice component spec. The fork alone is almost half the value of the asking price. If it fits well and you like it see if seller will take couple hundred off.

Then again bikes are selling fast these days!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Its a nice build and nice component spec. The fork alone is almost half the value of the asking price. If it fits well and you like it see if seller will take couple hundred off.

Then again bikes are selling fast these days!
    Much appreciate the response, thinking of going to see it tomorrow, its a bit of a drive so independent opinion helps a ton.

he is flexible on price a little and seems honest. Sent close up pics of scratches himself, not what you find on Craigslist these days.

Do you think bike specs are outdated - will I have to put in a bunch of money in to repair it? Seems like its in good condition and I like hardtails as they are easier to maintain.

Would something like this hold value at all with time?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Hard to say on holding value but it is a nice build so that helps.

I don't think you'll need to replace a bunch of parts just because they are no longer available.

Front tire is mounted backwards, might be on purpose and says Race Face Pedals but they look like Shimano Saint. Maybe they will get switched on sale (both are good).

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hard to say on holding value but it is a nice build so that helps.

I don't think you'll need to replace a bunch of parts just because they are no longer available.

Front tire is mounted backwards, might be on purpose and says Race Face Pedals but they look like Shimano Saint. Maybe they will get switched on sale.
    thank you.

He will take $1,400. Should I go for it?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    One thing to consider also is the stock fork is 100m and this is a 140m so slightly over forked. It wont handle as nimble but probably much better descending. That said the front end may push a bit in turns.

man hard to say....I think $1400 might still be a tad high but if you could ride it and feels good might definitely be worth the smiles.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    One thing to consider also is the stock fork is 100m and this is a 140m so slightly over forked. It wont handle as nimble but probably much better descending. That said the front end may push a bit in turns.

man hard to say....I think $1400 might still be a tad high but if you could ride it and feels good might definitely be worth the smiles.
    this is the kind of advice I was looking for. Can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it, you changed my emotional decision (get best you can find now) into a rational one (take your time, get something great not good enough). Took a spill on my Chisel today, I am a bad rider with limited skills and fell going down my local trail that is not that steep, hit the side wall of the narrow singletrack in a corner. Started looking for something with more travel that will be more stable. Thinking slightly wider tires as well (I have 29x2.3 now). Found this, not much on offer these days.

I don't want to pinch pennies, just get good value. I can spend more money, just feel like I am still learning so probably should go used not overly expensive and learn first, then spend on something better down the road. Bike market is crazy these days, I believe in September/October, there will be more bikes for sale after riding season starts winding down, by then local bike shops should get some stuff in stock. And I don't see economy getting much better so it should be able to get better value then. I am in Central California so I can ride year round.

Think I will pass and look for something newer, Kona Honzo DL or Santa Cruz Chameleon or Specialized Fuse, maybe 2018 or 2019.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Glad I could help...I think your on the right track.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bojan4444 View Post
    new to mtb an need help, pretty clueless in evaluating bikes. The one I am looking at is custom build so bicycle blue book is no good. Started riding for fitness with the virus and then some local trails and fell in love with it. Have a used Specialized Chisel with 100mm travel but some of the trails are bumpy on it, and thinking of just switching the tires to 700x42 and riding flat stuff.

Found the below bike on Craigslist, need advice if it represents a good value. I am older (47), so don't need latest gear, it was a custom build from 3-4 years ago, wondering if its outdated and what would you pay for it.

Thank you very much for the advice.

https://reno.craigslist.org/bik/d/re...141450714.html

would be helpful to know the frame year so you can look up geometry. For example this crave comp

https://www.greenmtncyclery.com/prod...9-210357-1.htm

has a chainstay of 17.4in (modern hard tails are around 16.5 inches) and a head tube angle of 71.5 degrees which is very steep (modern is around 66 degrees)

The parts spec is good and you could easily buy the bike for 1400 just for all the parts and buy a more modern frame. Kona honzo frames are really cheap (like 400) and are closer to being modern.

New xt drivetrain runs about 350, brakes 200. The fork used can be found on pinkbike for as low as 250 depending on the version. They didnt say what dropper, but oneup droppers run about 200 new. The other bits run about 200 total (stem, bar, seat, cable housing etc), decent wheelset runs about 300 used.

So 1400 is pretty reasonable, but not a steal.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    would be helpful to know the frame year so you can look up geometry. For example this crave comp

https://www.greenmtncyclery.com/prod...9-210357-1.htm

has a chainstay of 17.4in (modern hard tails are around 16.5 inches) and a head tube angle of 71.5 degrees which is very steep (modern is around 66 degrees)

The parts spec is good and you could easily buy the bike for 1400 just for all the parts and buy a more modern frame. Kona honzo frames are really cheap (like 400) and are closer to being modern.

New xt drivetrain runs about 350, brakes 200. The fork used can be found on pinkbike for as low as 250 depending on the version. They didnt say what dropper, but oneup droppers run about 200 new. The other bits run about 200 total (stem, bar, seat, cable housing etc), decent wheelset runs about 300 used.

So 1400 is pretty reasonable, but not a steal.
    thank you. I took a spill yesterday on my Specialized Chisel and immediately blamed the bike and started looking for a new one. The issue is myself, I need to ride more and get better. And test a few bikes and see what I like. There is just nothing to test nowdays and I am not super patient so I scoured CL and pinkbike.

I decided to wait, Chisel is ok for my local stuff for now and I will take it easy going down. I really like the Chisel, its a keeper as ts super light and I use it as a fitness/errand/everyday bike.

I agree price is reasonable, the seller is quite helpful and fair, but frame sticks out, and I don't want to be back to selling soon. Focusing the search on something with more travel and sturdier than XC bike, I like the Honzo DL, Chameleon and Spec Fuse. I like aluminum frame, ts light enough but saves money which can go to better components

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bojan4444 View Post
    thank you. I took a spill yesterday on my Specialized Chisel and immediately blamed the bike and started looking for a new one. The issue is myself, I need to ride more and get better. And test a few bikes and see what I like. There is just nothing to test nowdays and I am not super patient so I scoured CL and pinkbike.

I decided to wait, Chisel is ok for my local stuff for now and I will take it easy going down. I really like the Chisel, its a keeper as ts super light and I use it as a fitness/errand/everyday bike.

I agree price is reasonable, the seller is quite helpful and fair, but frame sticks out, and I don't want to be back to selling soon. Focusing the search on something with more travel and sturdier than XC bike, I like the Honzo DL, Chameleon and Spec Fuse. I like aluminum frame, ts light enough but saves money which can go to better components
    the crave (depending on the year) is actually a step backwards from the chisel. The chisel from 2017/2018 has this geometry

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/spec...sel-2017-2018/

17 in chainstay
    69.8 HTA

vs 17.5in and 71 for the crave (depending on the year).

Since the chisel is already part of the way there I wouldnt bother to switch unless there was a substantial change. You can get a works angleset to reduce the head tube angle on the chisel to 69 or 68.5 (-1 or -1.5 degree)