Need help. 9mm thru axle to a 15mm thru axle.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Need help. 9mm thru axle to a 15mm thru axle.

Im sorta a noob when it comes to the technical side of biking, but i have a 2012 hardrock and im looking into replacing the fork. Im pretty set on a reba, but it has the 15mm thru axle. As many of you know the hardrock runs the 9mm. Will i be able to convert the 9 to the 15? will i run into any problems?

Thanks

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    To run the Reba, you will need a new front hub or wheel with 15mm axle. Start shopping for a new front wheel....it's well worth it though, the Reba combined with a 15mm thru-axle will give you laser precise, steering response and beefy cornering stiffness.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    $151 shipped for an ArchEx from drop down(says Arch)
    with 15mm and QR caps.
    Light and strong.

mtbr member
    You can also use a 15mm to 9mm axle adapter like this one. He's has 15mm to 9mm and 15mm to 5mm.

Mountain Bike 15mm thru Axle to 9mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Oops, just reread your post and realized I have it backwards. You're going from 9mm to 15mm. Sorry.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    While an excellent deal and the wheel(s) I'd recommend, unfortunately they lump the Arch into the FR category and it comes with QR or 20mm end caps, not the 15mm you need. Still I'd buy it or the complete wheels if you have the scratch and the 15mm end caps, looked for them on Wiggle but didn't see them so these are from CRC.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    $151 shipped for an ArchEx from drop down(says Arch)
    with 15mm and QR caps.
    Light and strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Like i said im a noob so now i have to correct myself, im seeing that i have a 5mm quick release, what would be the cheapest, easiest way to either convert to the 15mm for the reba fork. Sorry about this, good people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by specialized11 View Post
    ...i have a 2012 hardrock and im looking into replacing the fork. Im pretty set on a reba, but it has the 15mm thru axle. As many of you know the hardrock runs the 9mm. Will i be able to convert the 9 to the 15? will i run into any problems?
    Many recent front hub designs have the ability to accept a Quick-Release (5mm), 9mm Thru-Axle, 15mm T-A or 20mm T-A, thanks to various adapter kits.

Try to find an axle conversion kit (usually just different end caps) that would allow you to run a 15mm thru-axle in your current wheel -- that is assuming your current front hub is designed for such a thing.

A little research may be required, but the results should be worth it. Here is a starting point:

Stan's Hub Parts and Kits

Good luck!
    Last edited by CaptDan; 07-05-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Claification

mtbr member
    You have a 9mm axle that uses a 5mm QR to secure it. If your hub is one of the ones that uses push in end caps like the Hopes, then all you need is the right end caps, however I don't think that's the case with your wheels, you will either need to buy a new hub and have the wheel re-laced/built or buy a new wheel - new wheel will be a better alternative and most likely not much difference in price.

Quote Originally Posted by specialized11 View Post
    Like i said im a noob so now i have to correct myself, im seeing that i have a 5mm quick release, what would be the cheapest, easiest way to either convert to the 15mm for the reba fork. Sorry about this, good people.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sweet, thank you good fella's for the patience, and help!

Happy peddling!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    While an excellent deal and the wheel(s) I'd recommend, unfortunately they lump the Arch into the FR category and it comes with QR or 20mm end caps, not the 15mm you need. Still I'd buy it or the complete wheels if you have the scratch and the 15mm end caps, looked for them on Wiggle but didn't see them so these are from CRC.
    These are at the link at Wiggle--just click on the link.

•Xc Rims (XR400, Crest, 717) supplied with Q/r & 15mm Conversions
    •FR/DH Rims (EX500, Flow, 521 & 721) supplied with Q/r & 20mm Conversions

This is their cap list and it's not current. So I would ask them for what you want.

mtbr member
    Did you happen to clink on the link I provided? Obviously not as this is a new listing from Wiggle offering them as a pair and they list the Arch in the FR/DH category. I'll e-mail them and ask them about end cap options, but AFAIK these come directly from Hope with those end caps. Did get a pop-up site feedback on there today and mentioned the fact that nearly all forks are now 15mm TA, not 20mm and they should offer the 15mm end caps instead, asked them to pass this little tid bit on to Hope.

FYI, I e-mailed them about not offering more than the Crest as a 29er option and pointed to the sales they were loosing, because they have a big US share of market and 29ers aren't just a rarity in the rest of the world like the UK and voila, a few days later I go looking and see all Stans 29er rims being offered for sale, all be it with a 2 week lead time instead of in-stock.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    These are at the link at Wiggle--just click on the link.

•Xc Rims (XR400, Crest, 717) supplied with Q/r & 15mm Conversions
    •FR/DH Rims (EX500, Flow, 521 & 721) supplied with Q/r & 20mm Conversions

This is their cap list and it's not current. So I would ask them for what you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    lots of times there are takeoff wheels available on craigslist for cheap. For example I replaced my wtb trail 29er with 15mm through axle with carbon wheels. Now I have these somewhat heavy wheels that are pretty much brand new that I will never use. Lots of times people dont even bother to post, so if you post that you are looking for those wheels someone will have them. Or if you have a local bike list or forum Im sure you can find some