Need a front derailleur with skinny linkage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need a front derailleur with skinny linkage

I want to fit Captain 29 x 2.0 (29 3/16” diameter) tires on my 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, which currently is rolling on 700 x 38 Crossroads tires (28” diameter). The larger Captain tire will not fit in the rear triangle because it will rub on the front derailleur’s linkage, which protrudes 1 1/16” off the back face of the seat tube. There is a 3/8” gap between the front derailleur linkage and the 28” diameter Crossroad tire. I need this gap between the linkage and the tire to grow another 3/8”+ (to a total gap of ¾”+) in order to fit a 29 x 2.0 tire on my bike. Is there a front derailleur on the market that will allow me to convert my hybrid bike into a 29er? My current front derailleur is a Shimano Alivio FD-M412.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You could go 1 X 9
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Plays with tools
    the SLX FD is pretty good for clearing the tire in relation to the cage but that may not solve your problem. Is the tire hitting the extra cable routing arm? If it works out that you don't need it just cut it off. I've seen this on a couple of bikes including one with 980 and it looks really clean, in fact I didn't notice it was different until it was pointed out to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Older model LX front derailleurs are recommended by Surly for the KArate Monkey b/c they have a very narrow clamp area. Check out the Surly blog for info. I think its model M570 or something close to that.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    bwalton - I had the same problem with a trek dual sport, check this thread out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=665373

Looks like our stock derailleurs are the same, and im also using captain 29x2.0. before and after pics in the thread.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Nickbm3, thanks for the link. As you can see from the photograph, my front derailleur is a bottom pull (i.e. cable pulling from the bottom)- top swing (i.e. hinged above the seat tube clamp) mechanism. The original setup on your bike was a top pull-top swing Alivio FD, which you changed over to a top pull-bottom swing XT FD. It so happens that I had an old dual pull-bottom swing XT FD that I sized up on my seat tube this weekend. It appears that this bottom swing FD creates the following problems: 1) This XT bottom swing FD will not give me any more clearance between the 29er tire and its linkage (even through it clamps up higher on the seat tube). 2) I would most likely loose my water bottle cage on the seat tube because the clamp covers the bottom braze-on. 3) The cable guide under the BB routes the cable out on the opposite side of the FD cable receiver.
    It looks like your newer XT FD has less linkage protruding out behind the clamp than my older XT FD does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need a front derailleur with skinny linkage-fd-clearance.jpg  

mtbr member
    The XT der I have is a dual pull setup, it was pretty dirty in that pic so the mud may have hidden that

Your probably right about the bottle braze-on though. Mine was fine when i had my stock chainrings, the clamp was between the two braze-ons and didnt get in the way really. However, i have since put on smaller chainrings, and of course now the derailleur sits with the clamp dead on covering the lower braze-on (not a huge deal for me since i dont use them anyway). YMMV of course, if the location of the braze-ons differs between manufacturers, and the size of your chainrings. Do you have any friendly LBS's around? The place i bought my derailleur at was nice enough to let me take it out of the box and test fit it on the frame first. Also if your cable routing is around the middle or towards the non-drive side crank (cant really tell from the angle of that pic, but looks to me like it is), it should work fine with this derailleur. The specific model of mine is the FD-M771 if that helps any.
    Last edited by Nickbm3; 01-03-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am just building a RIP 9 and they have limited clearance and requires a bottom pull derailleur.

Niner recommends only a handful of models including the M771 XT or M971 XTR.

I was lucky that I had an M971 stripped off another bike that I was planning to use on the build anyway.

So my point is you are unlikely to find anything that offers better clearance than those models.

Photos are here, but no close ups so maybe not much use.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=672870

Members who have read this thread: 0