Poison Oak Finder

Need Advice on what bikes to research - light trail bike

I won't ask which bike's are best because there would never be consensus and we all have varying opinions and use cases. But I am in the market for a new bike and I'm getting overwhelmed by makes and models.

What I *think* I'm looking for - lightweight trail bike (26lbs), probably 120mm of travel, 29er, climbs very well, isn't twitchy in the downhills.

What I have today - 2009 Scott Spark 30, 26lbs, XC bike, converted to 1x10 and tubeless, 26" wheels.

Where I ride - Auburn State Recreation Area (NorCal folks will know this). Flowing single and double track, some rocks and roots, sticky clay in the winter, dusty clay in the summer. I've always ridden XC bikes, but I don't plan on racing (which is why a trail bike may be a better choice for me).

Why buy a new bike - newer technology and geometries. And for some reason I get this itch every 9 years or so (1991 Bridgestone MB-3 (first bike), 1998 Klein Mantra, 2009 Scott Spark 30).

Me: 5'7", 31-32" inseam, 170 lbs non-winter weight , Age 48

So what bikes should I look at? So far my list is:

Intense Sniper Trail (can't demo anywhere though!)
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.9
    Pivot 429SL/Mach4
    Yeti SB100 or 130 (a little heavy for me though)

Climbing is the most important aspect as I do a lot of that and live in the foothills.

Edit: adding pic of current bike for reference:

Last edited by Egan; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add picture
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Scott genius 900 tuned? Or is that to trail for you?
    It's 150 but twinlock makes it 100. Pretty brilliant feature for your purpose I guess.
    Runs 27.5 and 29. Might come in handy.
    To my surprise I love my 27.5 2.8 rekon wheelset on my genius tuned and have trouble acclimate to the 2.35 29 wheelset after running the 2.8.
    I am 72kg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The current Spark(2019) 900 non RC series is 120/120 with excellent geo and space for 2.6 x 29 tires. A 910 is a good example. The Premium is 25 lbs.
    https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...icle=269754006
    It should be possible to do a frame buy and build. Ask your shop to check with the rep or look in the book.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trail/XC, so a little more relaxed HTA,a touch more travel, dropper post, room for a 2.6 tire:

If you gots to demo, you can't go wrong with a Fuel EX, also worth looking at a Giant Advanced 29 (Trance).

If you want to take advantage of direct sales pricing, Whyte, Intense, Fezzari. Fezzari is nice because they're kinda local (SLC) and they offer a 30day return if you don't like the bike.

or get another Scott
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+ (for sale)
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29/27+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Given your current bike is 9 years old I would consider 100/100 XC bikes too. The latest generation are very stable and very good downhill and still climb super well. They are the "trail" bikes of 4-5 years ago. So demo one of you can and see if they do what you want. They will be light and will climb very well.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Poison Oak Finder
    Thanks. That gives me more options to look at.
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

WillWorkForTrail
    I second the advice to give the trance 29 a look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ibis Ripley is an awesome, all around trail bike. Slightly heavier than your target I think but it checks all your other boxes easily.

mtbr member
    I'm in a similar situation, although I'm getting rid of my 2019 FEX8. I have looked at many of the bikes mentioned here and would add the SC Tallboy and Blur to your list. The Blur is also available in a TR version that adds a dropper and Step Cast 34 fork to be a little more trail friendly.

I have "narrowed" my list down to the Epic Evo, Blur C S build, Tallboy C S build, and a NOS '18 Camber Expert. These all have similar numbers in geometry so now I just need to decide which is the one and try not to factor in the pricing so much since the Camber would be the best deal I could get by far.

I can get a good price on Scott and had looked at the Spark 920 but there are none available right now and no estimated date for stock...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    I can get a good price on Scott and had looked at the Spark 920 but there are none available right now and no estimated date for stock...
    At this time of year shops don't buy bikes so manufacturers time shipments for spring. But it matters when your shop books an order for a bike as to whether they get it in March or June. If you want this bike check with your 'good deal' shop about if they already have an order in on a 920 in your size. If so put a refundable depot on it now. If not you may have to put a non-refundable deposit on one to get them to order. I'd go in and talk to the store manager now about this.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I second the advice to give the trance 29 a look.
    Agree.

mtbr member
    I demo'd the Ibis Ripley LS, Trance 29 Pro, Yeti SB100, Hightower (29 and 27.5+) and settled on the Trance 29 Pro for my application in northern Utah and Moab.

I was underwhelmed by the Yeti SB100 (and I like Yeti's - I and my wife both have the SB5).

I thought the Ibis Ripley LS was much better on the down than climbing.

The Hightower was too heavy in the build I was looking at.

My Trance 29 Pro built out at 26.6 lbs.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 12-15-2018 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    At this time of year shops don't buy bikes so manufacturers time shipments for spring. But it matters when your shop books an order for a bike as to whether they get it in March or June. If you want this bike check with your 'good deal' shop about if they already have an order in on a 920 in your size. If so put a refundable depot on it now. If not you may have to put a non-refundable deposit on one to get them to order. I'd go in and talk to the store manager now about this.
    Itís a team deal and they arenít showing an available date at this time for the 920. I could possibly order one and wait for it but patience isnít my strong suit and without being able to ride one it isnít a good option for me.

mtbr member
    You're going to want to check out the Pivot Trail 429 or the older Mach 429 trail, not so much the SL

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan View Post

Intense Sniper Trail (can't demo anywhere though!)
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.9
    Pivot 429SL/Mach4
    Yeti SB100 or 130 (a little heavy for me though)

Climbing is the most important aspect as I do a lot of that and live in the foothills.
    I ride this bike for XC race (and a little on the side). I've ridden Auburn many times. The 429SL is clearly an XC race bike and XC bike for midwestern type riding. It is not a trail bike nor a bike I'd want to ride on extended descents around Auburn.

You don't need a 6" travel enduro rig either necessarily, but the 429SL is at the extreme XC side of the scale, which unless you are looking for a racing advantage, I would not recommend. It's a great bike, it's just not that kind of bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Poison Oak Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I ride this bike for XC race (and a little on the side). I've ridden Auburn many times. The 429SL is clearly an XC race bike and XC bike for midwestern type riding. It is not a trail bike nor a bike I'd want to ride on extended descents around Auburn.

You don't need a 6" travel enduro rig either necessarily, but the 429SL is at the extreme XC side of the scale, which unless you are looking for a racing advantage, I would not recommend. It's a great bike, it's just not that kind of bike.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'll look at the Trail 429 instead as Dr Gigi suggested.

Also looking at the Spot Mayhem.

Both the Trail 429 and Mayhem have been reviewed as great bikes for folks moving from XC to more of a trail bike. Both sound like they climb well. Can't ride the Spot (same issue with the Intense), but my local shop in Auburn is a Pivot dealer. Maybe I can swing a business trip to Denver, spend an extra day, and drop in on the Spot guys in Golden...
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks for clarifying. I'll look at the Trail 429 instead as Dr Gigi suggested.

Also looking at the Spot Mayhem.

Both the Trail 429 and Mayhem have been reviewed as great bikes for folks moving from XC to more of a trail bike. Both sound like they climb well. Can't ride the Spot (same issue with the Intense), but my local shop in Auburn is a Pivot dealer. Maybe I can swing a business trip to Denver, spend an extra day, and drop in on the Spot guys in Golden...
    The 429 Trail on the other hand, yes, that's almost exactly the kind of bike that would do well. For your climbing purposes, I'd go with the shorter 130mm travel fork or maybe even see if they can do an 34 120 stepcast, maybe with a 10mm crown race spacer if pivot insists it needs a 130mm fork. But it definitely doesn't have to be that bike, just that that bike is much more along the lines of an efficient XC orientated trail bike that can rip some descents.

The real problem with all of this is that it's very rare that you can actually ride the bike, the size with the build (suspension bits) that you are considering and then on top of that, that it usually takes riding a bike in varied terrain over several days to really tune it well and get a good impression of the bike. The whole "test the bike" thing falls apart if you aren't looking for a mass produced trek or specialized and even then to really tune one takes days in my experience. You do the best you can, riding similar bikes and trying to make semi-educated guesses.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Poison Oak Finder
    The 429 Trail on the other hand, yes, that's almost exactly the kind of bike that would do well. For your climbing purposes, I'd go with the shorter 130mm travel fork or maybe even see if they can do an 34 120 stepcast, maybe with a 10mm crown race spacer if pivot insists it needs a 130mm fork. But it definitely doesn't have to be that bike, just that that bike is much more along the lines of an efficient XC orientated trail bike that can rip some descents.

The real problem with all of this is that it's very rare that you can actually ride the bike, the size with the build (suspension bits) that you are considering and then on top of that, that it usually takes riding a bike in varied terrain over several days to really tune it well and get a good impression of the bike. The whole "test the bike" thing falls apart if you aren't looking for a mass produced trek or specialized and even then to really tune one takes days in my experience. You do the best you can, riding similar bikes and trying to make semi-educated guesses.
    My LBS has a Trail 429 in my size in their demo fleet. I'm going to ride it Friday afternoon and Saturday morning next week on two trails I ride frequently. That will give me a good feel for how it compares to my current bike over the same terrain I ride. The shop will set up the suspension and whatnot, but you're right in that a couple of rides aren't enough to get the most out of the bike.

We weighed the Trail 429 (GX setup) on the showroom floor and without pedals it was 30.3 lbs in medium size.

They also recommended the Yeti SB100 even though it has less travel. There isn't one in the demo fleet, but the owner is going to let me borrow his. His of course has all the cool hardware and weighs in at 25 lbs.

I'm going to try to have an open mind about weight. Except of course when I have to lift it up on top of my truck...
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    There is a thread in this forum about the Fezzari Signal Peak. I've never ridden one so can't really comment on it, but it has some positive reviews out there and sounds like it would check most of the boxes for you. Also comes as a frame only option which is always nice.

I own a Fuel EX and have ridden a Yeti SB100 multiple times. Love both bikes, but they are totally different feeling IMO. The SB100 feels much more skewed to the XC realm, but it still loves popping off features and feels incredibly bottomless for 100mm. The Fuel EX feels more like a typical trail bike to me, especially when going uphill--its still a great climber for a trail bike, but the SB100 is better. For the trails you describe, I think the SB100 would be an awesome choice. It feels like an XC bike on the climbs but is still fun, fast, and playful going down like a trail bike.
    Patrick

Elitest thrill junkie
    My LBS has a Trail 429 in my size in their demo fleet. I'm going to ride it Friday afternoon and Saturday morning next week on two trails I ride frequently. That will give me a good feel for how it compares to my current bike over the same terrain I ride. The shop will set up the suspension and whatnot, but you're right in that a couple of rides aren't enough to get the most out of the bike.

We weighed the Trail 429 (GX setup) on the showroom floor and without pedals it was 30.3 lbs in medium size.

They also recommended the Yeti SB100 even though it has less travel. There isn't one in the demo fleet, but the owner is going to let me borrow his. His of course has all the cool hardware and weighs in at 25 lbs.

I'm going to try to have an open mind about weight. Except of course when I have to lift it up on top of my truck...
    The problem with the pivot is the build IMO, the GX does you no favors there in terms of weight and the pivot most likely has a regular 34, while the Yeti has a 34 stepcast. Because pivot doesn't sell frames anymore, you are kind of stuck with all these parts and even if you buy the high end build, you still have that heavier fork. If I could get my hands on a 429 Trail, I'd probably install a 34 stepcast with a 10mm crown race spacer to make it handle like a 130 fork, and then I could keep it on the lighter side with a careful selection of parts.

The yeti is interesting too, although a little confusing at the same time, if you are going to have a bike that can take all of that kind of riding, why limit yourself to only 100mm of travel, why not go to 120? Yeti also doesn't really offer the bike in a build that you would expect to reflect the "downcountry' intent of the bike, as in able to be ridden harder and faster than a normal 100mm bike on the downhills. It's just set up like most other XC racing rigs as far as parts, excluding the fork.

But again, there are lots of good bikes to pick from in this category. Devinci makes some great stuff, Santa Cruz, etc. In reference to the fezzari above, their older bikes were low-anti-squat horst links and I haven't seen anything newer plotted, but if they are similar, they'll ride like a wet-mattress uphill. I'd stick with the DW link or similar. Yeti, SC and Intense share a similar pedaling profile as compared to the DW with the AS only falling below 100% around 1/2 to 2/3rds of the travel, which means for many pedaling efforts and amounts of travel, you get nice consistent crisp pedaling/acceleration. Many of the newer horst-link bikes are better, but still have a steep curve to the AS profile, meaning that if you are riding with more sag or the rear suspension is compressing, it'll have much less AS at that point which will unweight the front end and cause your pedaling to make the rear end sink further. This can create the "ultimate traction" feeling uphill, but also make it feel like pedlaing a wet-mattress and sucking up much more energy. Modern single pivots are also worth a look, as the progression of 1x systems has made it much easier to design these to pedal and suspend well, vs. old 3x systems where you'd get a huge compromise on one side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    In reference to the fezzari above, their older bikes were low-anti-squat horst links and I haven't seen anything newer plotted, but if they are similar, they'll ride like a wet-mattress uphill.
    Again, I haven't ridden it, but those who have in this thread say the bike climbs well: https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/f...k-1093010.html

I agree with you on the Yeti. If the Yeti was 120/120 I'd seriously consider selling my FEX and getting the SB100. Or I guess it'd be SB120 then
    Patrick

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Again, I haven't ridden it, but those who have in this thread say the bike climbs well: https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/f...k-1093010.html
    Of course they do. They always do.

Poison Oak Finder
    I had a demo ride of a Pivot Trail 429 this afternoon. I'm riding again tomorrow morning on a different trail, but here's my first impressions:

First off, I rode my go-to training trail, ~15.2 miles, same mix of sub-trails. Conditions were similar although about 4F warmer today than last week on the Scott (54F vs. 50F). The trail itself was a bit muddier this week due to some rain over the weekend. I had the same number of days between rides, so this was as close to an apples-to-apples comparison I could get.

Analyzing Strava can be mind-numbing, but here are some highlights:

Added 2 PR's both on downhills farther into the ride once I got used to things.

Had two 3rd fastest times, one downhill, one flowing up and down section (0.8 miles).

Comparing all of the climbs, the Pivot wasn't even in my top 10 times, while last week on the Scott was. I did not use the lockout on either bike.

Overall time - 1:42:24 Scott, 1:44:37 Pivot. Average speed - 8.9 mph Scott, 8.7 mph Pivot. Not horrible, but keep in mind the Scott is 10 years old and on 26" wheels.

My biggest complaints on the Pivot were things that a proper set up could fix - brake levers out of comfortable reach from grips, shifter required twisting my thumb around the grips on up-shifts. I really did not like the SRAM GX shifter with its push-push, but I'm sure I could get used to it. The SLX brakes were so-so.

Some good things: The Fox34 fork is such an improvement over the Reba SL on the Scott. The XO1 derailleur was super smooth and precise. The bike was fun in the descent and it was nice not to have to go around things like rocks and ruts.

The bike felt sluggish accelerating when transitioning from uphill to flats. It was better going from uphill right to downhill. I think the sluggishness is mostly due to weight - the Pivot weighs in at 30.3 lbs (before pedals) and my Scott is exactly 26 lbs with pedals.

Right now I am a bit underwhelmed. We'll see how tomorrow morning's ride goes. There is one significant climb and a couple more that are a notch or two below that one. There are also a lot of downhills full of rocks and roots.

09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's pretty heavy for a 120mm bike. With pedals that's basically 31lbs, that's what my AM 170/160" bike weighs with a coil shock. My 100mm travel pivot is about 23lb in a dependable XC race setup with dropper. 7lbs is way too much for 20mm travel. Given that you are accelerating a bike all the time, pedaling is not a constant force output, the bike slows and speeds up constantly while pedaling, turning, climbing, etc., it's going to take it's toll. Won't be as massive as the effect of wheels, but that's basically an AM/enduro weight right there and you'll notice it for sure, especially on a 29er. Obviously there have to be entry level builds as well, but I'd expect a good middle-of-the-road build on a 120mm bike to be about 26-28lbs max.

Poison Oak Finder
    Continued my demo on an 11.5 mile, 1600' elevation trail known for its tough/long climbs. The 45F start was tolerable with the right clothing.

For the 10.55 mile main loop, I was 13 minutes slower than my best time. That's 13 minutes out of a total of 1:38:39 of riding time for that main loop.

I felt the pain in the climbs and ran out of gear several times. And I used the lockout today, knowing there would be some tough climbs. Reaching that thing was a royal PITA.

Some of the downhills were a lot of fun and I expected a bunch of PR's, but only came away with a couple of 3's. Looking back at previous times, I was significantly off the pace.

I can blame some of this on tired legs (back-to-back rides) and the muddy conditions, but overall I have determined this is not the bike for me. As I said before, I could feel the weight difference in every climb, whether a steep ascent or a short connector between flats or downhills. The downhills did not make up for the poor climbing, although I certainly felt faster and more confident (despite what the times showed).

This goes to show how important it is to demo a bike. If I had gone off of internet reviews and videos I would have thought this was an excellent choice for me. It's all about perspective and what you're coming from and what you want to do. For me, this bike performs worse than my 10 year old 26" bike and I certainly can't justify spending $5,000+ on it.

Next up: Yeti SB100 after I let my legs rest a day or two.

Certainly did not use up all of the travel:

And yes, it was a muddy day:

09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Orbea Oiz TR? It looks light and itís 120mm travel. I havenít ridden it, but it does interest me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Counterpoint, if you are riding that bike in chunky SW terrain, it was not set up if you are missing that much travel. On the shock, that looks to be around 1/3rd of the travel. Given the progressive nature of air-shocks, you should have been getting within about 1/4" of bottom. Fork was maybe slightly better, but still too much pressure as evidenced by the ring.

On top of that, I've had "off weeks" where my performance just wasn't good, I race and sometimes I drop back a few positions from where I normally am just due to variances I can't effectively control in diet, fatigue and other things.

Only you will know what is best for you, but the suspension didn't seem to be set up right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I suppose the expectation for a demo ďto buyĒ is the bike will ride better than what you have now, BUT, you are also accustomed to what you ride now and your ďfavorite ď trails are likely suited to your existing bike, so probably not as apples to apples as you think unless you want a bike just like the one you have.

A better judge of a future bike is taking your demos on trails that are a step up from what you ride now, more tech, more downhill, something you donít intimately know. Take all your demos to that trail and pick the one that rides the best.

Something else to consider on your demos is tire width and tread design. I suspect your ten year old bike is spinning sone skinny XC tires which will be much faster than the tires youíll find specs on all these trail bikes. If you really want a more capable bike for riding harder trails, you will have to sacrifice something, and that something will be speed.

If speed is your number on priority; which seems to be the case with your Strava comparos, I suspect youíd best suited to an XC bike.

Honestly, if you donít t find a new bike that is better than your ten old bike, Iíd be surprised, but I doubt youíll like anything thatís been suggested so far except for the XC bikes.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+

Poison Oak Finder
    ^ Good points above, especially around competency on a bike I've been riding for 10 years vs. something I only had two rides on. That's hardly enough time to understand the nuances. But I still expected something more, hence my feeling of the Pivot Trail 429 being underwhelming. It just didn't grab me, shake me violently, and shout "buy me!".

So, enter the Yeti SB100. My LBS owner let me borrow his to see if it fit better. It's already had the hardware fix to the SI (not sure if it came that way or if the shop put it in - the bike is less than 3 months old). But I could certainly flex the rear triangle sideways by pushing the top of the rear tire laterally. But there was no clunking/creaking during the ride.

I hit the same trail I did on the first day with the Pivot. 15 miles, a bit colder with a strong wind blowing, but I only had two days rest instead of a week as I did before the Pivot ride.

The Yeti was much more fun to ride. Whereas the Pivot felt sluggish and didn't transition well/quickly from uphill to flat or uphill to downhill, the Yeti just accelerated away and almost asked to be pedaled harder and to go faster. I noticed a couple of spots where I had to catch my breath on the Pivot, but on the Yeti I just kept pedaling away. The bike kept me out of that daydream world that happens sometimes after a lot of grinding exertion, where you just coast along recollecting yourself - instead it drove me to keep pushing, which was really weird.

I'm sure the weight difference (Yeti is right at 26 lbs, like my old bike) was a big part of this. But also, the thing just felt like it wanted to go.

I thought the 100mm of travel might be an issue, but surprisingly enough the Yeti handled everything without issue. In fact, on one bombing downhill full of fast rolling switches I blew away the only PR I had gotten on the Pivot. Part of that had to be the steering which was really capable once I stopped leaning and started steering! The other part was likely because this section, while mostly downhill, has a lot of short flats and ups and the Yeti just transitions back and forth really well.

I want to see how it does on the second trail I tested the Pivot on so I get a good solid comparison. That trail has significant climbs and rocky descents. I'm not sure if my legs will be up to it tomorrow, but we'll see.

My only major complaint on the bike is that my hands kept getting numb. It really felt like I was pushing hard on the handlebars - almost like the stem was a bit too short. I'm not sure if I need to adjust my ride position (I felt pretty upright and I'm not sure I could get more upright) or if I would need a bit more reach. The Pivot did the same thing, but not nearly as much or as often.

All in all though I really enjoyed the bike. We'll see how I feel after the second trail.

09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Forgive me if I missed this above, but have you tried a Blur?

Poison Oak Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolky View Post
    Forgive me if I missed this above, but have you tried a Blur?
    I had not simply because it was more of an XC race bike and I don't plan to race. After riding the Yeti now, the Blur is probably worth riding as a comparison (maybe the TR model). Fortunately my LBS is a Pivot, Yeti, and SC dealer.
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I had not simply because it was more of an XC race bike and I don't plan to race. After riding the Yeti now, the Blur is probably worth riding as a comparison (maybe the TR model). Fortunately my LBS is a Pivot, Yeti, and SC dealer.
    Might be worth a try. I've ridden the Blur, but not the SB100. My impression is that the SB100 might lean trail a little more, whereas the Blur would be lighter. But, the Blur is also a surprisingly capable trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There is also the Intense Sniper, Fezzari Signal Peak, and Orbea Oiz TR all in the same class.
    OG Ripley v2

Poison Oak Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    There is also the Intense Sniper, Fezzari Signal Peak, and Orbea Oiz TR all in the same class.
    Intense Sniper Trail was on my original short list. But the only LBS that carries it doesn't really carry it. They're happy to order it, but I'm not willing to pay $6,000+ for a bike I have not ridden. Fezzari and Spot are in the same boat and that's one of the bad things about the direct model. We'll see what their demo schedules look like when they get published for 2019 and maybe there will be something reasonably close to me. I realize most have love it or return it policies but I don't want to go that route.

Orbea has no dealers in California so they end up in the same boat as the other direct folks.

But Fezzari and Orbea have really good pricing when comparing component sets with, say, the Yeti I rode.
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Yeti will give you another thing to maintain in the switch infinity suspension, not to mention the crazy prices Yeti keeps asking for now. Its hard today to find a trail bike in the 26lbs area as most will be average 27-28lbs with 110-120mm of rear travel, depending on what you build it. The Blur will give you that light weight you want, the Ripley LS is boarder line in weight but possible, the Tallboy might work for you too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Highly recommend demoing a Blur TR if at all possible. I demo'd both the SB100 and Blur TR when I was trying to make the decision on my current bike and found the Blur lighter, more nimble and screamed uphill. I felt instantly more comfortable on the Blur and the times on my loop showed it both up and down. I did end up with the Tallboy but only because I felt the Blur was too close to my gravel bike. If I did not have a gravel bike, I would have purchased the Blur.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy CC X01
    Santa Cruz Stigmata
    S-Works Tarmac

Roadie at heart with a healthy respect for the shredders

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Intense Sniper Trail was on my original short list. But the only LBS that carries it doesn't really carry it. They're happy to order it, but I'm not willing to pay $6,000+ for a bike I have not ridden. Fezzari and Spot are in the same boat and that's one of the bad things about the direct model. We'll see what their demo schedules look like when they get published for 2019 and maybe there will be something reasonably close to me. I realize most have love it or return it policies but I don't want to go that route.

Orbea has no dealers in California so they end up in the same boat as the other direct folks.

But Fezzari and Orbea have really good pricing when comparing component sets with, say, the Yeti I rode.
    Fezzari has 30 day love or return with free shipping- can't get a better demo than that.
    OG Ripley v2

Poison Oak Finder
    Second ride on the Yeti was a blast even with the colder temps and my tired legs. I destroyed my times from the Pivot but more importantly I had a blast. I liked it a lot, but I don't think I loved it. It's a $10K bike and even with the hook-up price buying it 3 months very gently used at $6,900 I couldn't pull the trigger. A similarly spec'd Blue TR, Sniper Trail, or Spot Mayhem would cost the same but in the back of my mind the flex issues on the Yeti nagged at me a bit. It's a smoking deal for the bike and component set, but that shouldn't be the reason to buy it. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Requisite pic from today:

09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Well Try the Blur TR if you can. Maybe you will come to love the SB100 anyway or will find that nothing really makes you want to part with your hard earned money. In the end any new bike requires a good bit of money and you have to decide if the $$$ will bring the smiles and experience you want. If you are going to spend 7k you better love it. If not keep looking.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just bought a used Fezzeri Signal Peak frameset, I'll have it built up in a few weeks. It looks good on paper, prices are fair, 30 day love it or leave warranty for new, so certainly worth a shot if you have the patience; I believe returns are free. You can also demo in SLC.

I think you can make any bike work with some changes in suspension and ergonomics. Granted, it feels more "right" to buy a bike that rides well during a demo. You certainly can't go wrong with any of the bikes you're looking at.

Try to assess why you didn't liker the Trail 429 and why you did like the the SB100. Geometry perhaps? Comparo in size large:

Signal Peak: CS 430, HTA 68, STA 75, Reach 462.7, Travel 120mm
    SB 100: CS 437, HTA 67.8, STA 74.3, Reach 452.1, Travel 100mm
    Trail 429: CS 429, HTA 67.5, STA 72.8, Reach 460, Travel 120mm
    Trance Pro 29: CS 435, HTA 66.5, STA 74.5, Reach 462, Travel 115mm

At first glance I'd say that the SB100 is going to climb better (steeper STA), feel more compact (shorter reach), and feel more agile (shorter CS).

If you like a bike like the SB100 but find the pricing outrageous (I certainly do), you should take a look at the Signal Peak, it will be a little more agile (shorter CS), as good or better for climbing (steeper STA), a little more stretched out, more progressive geo overall.

The Giant Trance 29 is another option, good geo, good review, easy to demo, carbon is not as pricey as Pivot or Yeti, also an aluminum option but it'd be heavier.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 4 Days Ago at 04:19 PM.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Since you're in NorCal, have you considered an Ibis Ripley LS? Can be built to 27 pounds with pedals, climbs great, and many online reviews (and me) tout is as the most fun, playful 29'er around. I had a 429 Trail and couldn't believe how much better the Ripley climbs, much less how much more just overall fun it is. Maybe it doesn't have the steep STA and super long reach as some of the other newer bikes out there, but IMO the new geometry is better for longer-travel bikes and terrain that is all steep up and down.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I just bought a used Fezzeri Signal Peak frameset, I'll have it built up in a few weeks. It looks good on paper, prices are fair, 30 day love it or leave warranty for new, so certainly worth a shot if you have the patience; I believe returns are free. You can also demo in SLC.

I think you can make any bike work with some changes in suspension and ergonomics. Granted, it feels more "right" to buy a bike that rides well during a demo. You certainly can't go wrong with any of the bikes you're looking at.

Try to assess why you didn't liker the Trail 429 and why you did like the the SB100. Geometry perhaps? Comparo in size large:

Signal Peak: CS 430, HTA 68, STA 75, Reach 462.7, Travel 120mm
    SB 100: CS 437, HTA 67.8, STA 74.3, Reach 452.1, Travel 100mm
    429 Trail: CS 443, HTA 67.5, STA 72.8, Reach 460, Travel 120mm
    Trance Pro 29: CS 435, HTA 66.5, STA 74.5, Reach 462, Travel 115mm

At first glance I'd say that the SB100 is going to climb better (steeper STA), feel more compact (shorter reach), and feel more agile (shorter CS).

If you like a bike like the SB100 but find the pricing outrageous (I certainly do), you should take a look at the Signal Peak, it will be a little more agile (shorter CS), as good or better for climbing (steeper STA), a little more stretched out, more progressive geo overall.

The Giant Trance 29 is another option, good geo, good review, easy to demo, carbon is not as pricey as Pivot or Yeti, also an aluminum option but it'd be heavier.
    You buy the one on PB? I was tempted but the green. Be interesting to see what you think. I was surprised that the BB is at 13.25 on my V2 OG Ripley with my 120mm SC 34 on it. So I may tried it a little this spring before getting a Signal Peak to compare it to.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, he came down on the price from $1900 to $1500, my daughter picked it up in SLC last night.

It is very green, Iíll bling it out with red or purple

If it rides well, itíll be a nice low cost option to the big names.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You buy the one on PB? I was tempted but the green. Be interesting to see what you think. I was surprised that the BB is at 13.25 on my V2 OG Ripley with my 120mm SC 34 on it. So I may tried it a little this spring before getting a Signal Peak to compare it to.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I researched and rode a few of the bikes you're talking about, and like you I favor climbing and a quick feeling bike. I ended up buying a Turner which was a risk as I couldn't test ride one. I put my faith in Dave Turner's reputation, and also Dave Weagle who designed the suspension with Turner. Also, they were and still are having a pretty good sale on their blue Czar frames in XL and XXL (I'm 6'3" and got the XXL). I too keep my bikes probably too long and update them until it's no longer reasonable, my previous bike being a Titus RacerX 100/100.
    What followed for me was the most fun year of mountain biking I've had, and I've been at it since 1990. This new bike was such a huge improvement in every aspect that I simply couldn't get enough. And I really liked my Titus!
    Built as I did, it's 25.5 lbs, 100r, 120f, 11sp, carbon hoops with vittoria 2.3 tires. It's not boost in the rear if that matters to you. It does not matter to me. If you'd like to ask the owner of the brand you can simply call and he'll pick up the phone and talk to you about the bike and about your trails and about anything he's thinking about right then. Try that with just about any other brand. Hope you find as much happiness in your quest as I did!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    It's a $10K bike and even with the hook-up price buying it 3 months very gently used at $6,900 I couldn't pull the trigger.
    Does this come with a warranty?? The Yeti SB100 would be on my shortlist of bikes to look at if I were looking for a 100mm travel bike, but I would definitely want the manufacturer's warranty on it...

Poison Oak Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Does this come with a warranty?? The Yeti SB100 would be on my shortlist of bikes to look at if I were looking for a 100mm travel bike, but I would definitely want the manufacturer's warranty on it...
    It does come with the standard warranty. It's still on the books as a "new" bike, meaning it has never been sold. 3 months of light use by the owner (he has two other bikes as well).
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Eagan,

I'm in the same boat as you looking for a replacement for my 6 yr old 28.5 lb XL Santa Cruz TB LTC. Most of the equivalent new trail bikes are heavier. Closer to the 30 lbs range than 25 lbs. Crazy right. I thought by now trail bikes would be pushing 25 lbs easy. I might end up buying a shorter travel bike to save weight plus the newer bikes are way more capable. Scott makes the lightest FS bikes out there. Did you try the 2019 Scott Genius? It's very light around 27 lbs and climbs great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I read this thread with interest as I too am looking for a similar bike. But unlike the OP, I am already on a 29er. I have a 2014 Giant Anthem X29 Advanced (carbon front triangle).
    In my experience, the move to the 29 inch wheels brought a huge increase in trail worthiness compared to my 26" Specialised Epic. My point here being that there are gains to be had without going to the extent of the Pivot Trail 429 which was clearly a step too far towards Trail vs XC. As others have suggested, modern XC 29ers maybe a better bet.
    Having said that, I demoed a Scott Spark 920 the other day and it felt much better than the Trek Fuel EX 9.8 which felt like a bus to me.
    I'll be interested to read more about this journey as it unfolds.

Dream it, Do it.
    As others have mentioned, the Tallboy is worth considering as well. These are my ride impressions of the SB100, Trail 429 and the Tallboy: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...-45-yeti-sb100

I would concur that though I think the Trail 429 climbs well, the SB100 does climb better.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Ibis Mojo3 or Ripley

Poison Oak Finder
    I went out on my 26" Spark last Friday and again this past Monday. The trail was super slick Friday and my times showed that. Which also goes to the points made previously that times don't tell the whole tale. It's more about how does the bike feel and flow and how much does it make you smile.

I was pretty surprised how archaic my bike felt. It felt so much smaller after the 29er demos. The cockpit felt cramped, the wheels seemed so small, and I noticed all of the jolts and bumps so much more than before. I could certainly tell the difference rolling over roots and rocks. The bike even felt twitchy through switchbacks due to the shorter wheelbase.

I've chatted with a bunch of folks in my area and for the trails I ride 90+% of the time, I don't need a heavy duty trail bruiser (emphasis on heavy) like the Spot Mayhem or similar bikes. A trailed-out XC bike or lightweight short travel trail bike is more than capable.

So I think I'm down to the Intense Sniper Trail Pro or building up an Orange Stage 4 with some lighter components. I've also found a used Sniper Trail (~800 miles of use), although I've never bought used and there are pitfalls there (unseen frame issues, no warranty).

Buying a new Sniper gives me the privilege of adding 7.5% to the price so I can personally fund social welfare in Kalifornia (some it does go to local trails though). Used saves me $2,100 minus minimal changes I would make ($750) for better brakes and tires.

The Orange Stage 4 is really unique and I like the idea of an alloy frame. Getting it around 25-26 lbs isn't weight weenie expensive and comes in right around the new Sniper (pre-tax). And no tax on the Orange since the only importer is in Wisconsin. But unique isn't a reason to buy.

Orbea OIZ TR is still on the list too, but the Orange and Sniper have better geometries.

I'll keep chewing on things while the rain comes down, but my last couple of rides have me itching to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fezzari Signal Peak, great reviews, great value, great warranty.

I just ordered a frame, it should be here today.

If it rides half as good as their customer service, itíll be a great ride.

Nothing wrong with Orange, though theyíre heavy and not local, so warranty issues are a problem if you have a problem . Intense makes a great product, my conversations with the folks at Intense in California were good, but the Sniper is a flexy frame, something to consider if you want to ride harder.

I went out on my 26" Spark last Friday and again this past Monday. The trail was super slick Friday and my times showed that. Which also goes to the points made previously that times don't tell the whole tale. It's more about how does the bike feel and flow and how much does it make you smile.

I was pretty surprised how archaic my bike felt. It felt so much smaller after the 29er demos. The cockpit felt cramped, the wheels seemed so small, and I noticed all of the jolts and bumps so much more than before. I could certainly tell the difference rolling over roots and rocks. The bike even felt twitchy through switchbacks due to the shorter wheelbase.

I've chatted with a bunch of folks in my area and for the trails I ride 90+% of the time, I don't need a heavy duty trail bruiser (emphasis on heavy) like the Spot Mayhem or similar bikes. A trailed-out XC bike or lightweight short travel trail bike is more than capable.

So I think I'm down to the Intense Sniper Trail Pro or building up an Orange Stage 4 with some lighter components. I've also found a used Sniper Trail (~800 miles of use), although I've never bought used and there are pitfalls there (unseen frame issues, no warranty).

Buying a new Sniper gives me the privilege of adding 7.5% to the price so I can personally fund social welfare in Kalifornia (some it does go to local trails though). Used saves me $2,100 minus minimal changes I would make ($750) for better brakes and tires.

The Orange Stage 4 is really unique and I like the idea of an alloy frame. Getting it around 25-26 lbs isn't weight weenie expensive and comes in right around the new Sniper (pre-tax). And no tax on the Orange since the only importer is in Wisconsin. But unique isn't a reason to buy.

Orbea OIZ TR is still on the list too, but the Orange and Sniper have better geometries.

I'll keep chewing on things while the rain comes down, but my last couple of rides have me itching to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+

Poison Oak Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Fezzari Signal Peak, great reviews, great value, great warranty.

I just ordered a frame, it should be here today.

If it rides half as good as their customer service, itíll be a great ride.

Nothing wrong with Orange, though theyíre heavy and not local, so warranty issues are a problem if you have a problem . Intense makes a great product, my conversations with the folks at Intense in California were good, but the Sniper is a flexy frame, something to consider if you want to ride harder.
    I'm curious to see how you build that thing out and what you think of it.
    09 Scott Spark 30
    98 Klein Mantra Race
    91 Bridgestone MB-3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    All parts bin, take off from the Pedalhead except for the fork:

Signal Peak XL frame, dark blue
    Pike 140mm, 42mm offset
    29Ē Duroc/DT 350, Rekon 2.6/Ikon 2.6 (light wheels)
    29Ē Scraper i45/DT 350, Rekon 2.6/Kenebeck 2.6 (heavy wheels)
    GX drivetrain, e13 cassette, SRAM DUB GX 165mm crank
    Chromag bars ~750mm, Chromag stem 35mm
    Shimano XT Brakes
    One Up 170mm dropper

Frame will be here Monday, should have it up and running Tuesday.

Iím curious to how the see the sizing plays out. I did the math with Tyler, Fezzari product manager, he thought I could fit an XL if I like a long reach, though I might not get a full 170mm dropper to fit , but Iím gonna try. The tech on my Smash is 490, the XL Signal Peak is 479, so it should be fine.

The biggest difference for me will be the relatively steep HTA. Iíve gotten used to riding 65-66deg, so the Signal Oeak with a 140mm til will be 67deg. Itís supposed to be my all around bike for long days, more XC, even some bikepacking, so I suppose a steeper HTA will be fine

Iím not building this bike for Moab, though it will see some tech use on the TRT.

I'm curious to see how you build that thing out and what you think of it.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 13 Hours Ago at 09:25 PM.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+