Ned Overend video interview about 29ers- Mtbr.com
    Cereal Killer

Good job! Ned Overend video interview about 29ers

Here's a link to a video interview with Ned Overend, giving his view on the advantages on 29er bikes. No real, new information that hasn't already been discussed before, but cool to see that someone like Ned Overend is on board with them.

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...ed-knows_12906

mtbr member
    Ned gives new meaning to the term, "old guy's rule". To see anyone that is consistently at the top of his game for over 25 years is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Donít get me wrong I am in full respect to Ned, he is a great guy with a lot of history and knowledge and knows stuff very well, but in addition he still is Specialized ambassador, isnít he?

mtbr member
    Yeah, but wasn't Specialized one of the manufacturers that resisted making 29ers because they considered it a fad?

Nice to see their premier spokesperson now acknowledges it's more than just a fad.

Rohloff
    Welcome to the party, Ned.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by omega1848
    Don’t get me wrong I am in full respect to Ned, he is a great guy with a lot of history and knowledge and knows stuff very well, but in addition he still is Specialized ambassador, isn’t he?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    Yeah, but wasn't Specialized one of the manufacturers that resisted making 29ers because they considered it a fad?

Nice to see their premier spokesperson now acknowledges it's more than just a fad.
    Fact of the matter is, is that they are making 29'ers and marketing as such. So that's reality - why not have a commercial for it?

Here's my amatuer, ignorant take on this.

1) Ned Overend is fast no matter what he rides. Most of us are common'ers.

2) Light, carbon wheels - Really, who can afford these? I can, but I couldn't justify that purchase.

3) Everything else I pretty much agree with as far as the "science" goes.

Whenever I read/watch/hear marketing messages, I have to apply it to my own life. I know some riders will shell out the cash/credit for the coming-year's upgrades - and that's cool. But, for myself, my heavy, steel tank is what I have and I really don't intend on upgrading. The message that is being said is "We have this coming... we have that coming... 29'ers will be faster than the 26" bike..." which really translates to, "...if you want your bike to be competetive, BUY EXPENSIVE STUFF..."

I like and have the deepest respect for Ned Overend, and I understand that Specialized is in the business of making money - I, as a capitalist, am VERY down with that. But, until the 29'er market comes down to 26" prices, common'ers will still need to contemplate that extra cash/credit to be "faster". At one point, a lot of riders have to look at their life liabilities and ask themselves whether the extra $1000 on a bike is worth it. And for amatuer racers: is that extra cash/credit worth the plastic gold around their neck atop a plywood box? Many may have to stick with their 26" bike and still be very, very competetive.

Members who have read this thread: 0