Narrowed it down - SB150 vs Ripmo. Any issues?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Narrowed it down - SB150 vs Ripmo. Any issues?

So I've demoed the sb150 and the Ripmo basically back to back on the same trails. Both had the X2 shock. I'm a hair under 6', currently 235#, and both were large frames.

Very similar feeling bikes. The SB front end wandered maybe a touch more when climbing steep stuff, but the cockpit felt a bit more roomy too - seemed better pedaling flat than the Ripmo, where I felt pushed forward a bit. Both suspensions climbed very well. The SB rear wasn't as plush feeling, but I'm chalking that up to the shock setup more than anything. I imagine it can be set up to equal the DW link's plush and small bump feel - I would assume easing up some on the dampening would take care of this. The Ripmo seemed a tad more willing to pop, manual, and jump. Although at times I didn't feel I was going as fast on the SB, my segment times were 5-15% faster on the SB both climbing and descending. The SB has more travel, which is always a good thing to me climbing and stuff being otherwise equal. Also, I think some of the faster times had to do with me riding the same trail on consecutive days, the SB being second, and not having ridden that particular trail in a couple seasons.

If they had them sitting next to each other in the showroom and I could walk out with one, I think I'd pick the Ripmo by a hair. But if I have to wait a month for a Ripmo and can get the SB in a couple days, I will probably go with the SB.

But I'm wondering if there are other differences I'm not aware of that could sway me? Does the yeti suspension require more maintenance, for example? I'm a touch leery of the Switch, just because I don't really know how it works. I'm not a tinkerer or a real maintenance lover, lol...I don't like to spend my evenings in the garage playing with the bike.

I'm down to the minutiae, so to speak.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For trail riding I feel the Ripmo is a better platform, but if you are faster on the SB150, that's what I would buy, regardless of the wait.

I think the suspension set up stiffer on the SB150 contributed to the bike seeming to pedal better than the Ripmo. Once you had the shocks at equal plushness the difference would be minimal but in favor of the Ripmo.

Good luck.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Then you've got the whole customer service aspect, if that's a factor to you. Ibis wins that game, hands-down.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thereís a thread on Ripmo pedal strikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    There's a reason so many Yeti's are for sale with a new rear triangle....

Rollin 29s

Narrowed it down - SB150 vs Ripmo. Any issues?

If you are tall, be aware of the steeper ST angle contributing more to wrist and hand pressure on the Ripmo. Worse on flat or rolling terrain. Ripmo is going to feel like you need to drop the post for even moderate downhill sections due to the steep forward seat tube, but thatís why it climbs so well.

Pedal strikes are more common on most new geo platform bikes.

I unfortunately didnít have the option to demo the SB150, but if I were in your shoes, Iíd pay attention to comfort as well as handling. You canít easily improve an uncomfortable bike without throwing a lot of money at components. If the geometry is close enough that both bikes climb, descend and handle comparably, choose the one that feels right even if the other one edges it out on performance.

I have a Ripmo, and I love how it performs, but Iíve thrown a lot of money and time at components, suspension tuning, adjustments and positioning to improve the hand pressure. Itís close but not quite there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    There's a reason so many Yeti's are for sale with a new rear triangle....
    Vague comment

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    If you are tall, be aware of the steeper ST angle contributing more to wrist and hand pressure on the Ripmo. Worse on flat or rolling terrain. Ripmo is going to feel like you need to drop the post for even moderate downhill sections due to the steep forward seat tube, but thatís why it climbs so well.

Pedal strikes are more common on most new geo platform bikes.

I unfortunately didnít have the option to demo the SB150, but if I were in your shoes, Iíd pay attention to comfort as well as handling. You canít easily improve an uncomfortable bike without throwing a lot of money at components. If the geometry is close enough that both bikes climb, descend and handle comparably, choose the one that feels right even if the other one edges it out on performance.

I have a Ripmo, and I love how it performs, but Iíve thrown a lot of money and time at components, suspension tuning, adjustments and positioning to improve the hand pressure. Itís close but not quite there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fantastic response- what good is performance if you canít dial In comfort.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    I live in the Denver area, Yeti central. THere are stories after stories of people breaking rear triangles on Yetis. That's why they are for sale with "new" rear triangles. Not vague, just the truth. They typically buy a GG after their rear triangles break. Full disclosure... I'm not a Yeti owner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    I live in the Denver area, Yeti central. THere are stories after stories of people breaking rear triangles on Yetis. That's why they are for sale with "new" rear triangles. Not vague, just the truth. They typically buy a GG after their rear triangles break. Full disclosure... I'm not a Yeti owner.
    Iím on pinkbike now - zero new rear triangle adds

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Why keep arguing? Just go buy the Yeti and be done with it. Jeez ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Why keep arguing? Just go buy the Yeti and be done with it. Jeez ...
    No kidding...never seen somebody be so negative about a couple of bikes in so many threads. He should just change his name to "anti-bex".
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Narrowed it down...
    You're me (hair under 6' and ~235#). I'm curious what other bikes you tried and ruled out. And why.

Both those are on my radar, as well as the 130, Offering and Sentinel. Not that I'm in any hurry to be rid of my Smuggler, but who knows?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    delete

mtbr member
    I decided to take a lunch ride on the SB150 before I turned it back in. I opened up the low speed compression a few clicks and the high speed one or two. Made a pretty big difference -- the rear felt a lot more compliant climbing and a little more supple on the descent. Maybe another click or two on the high speed and I think it would be pretty dialed.

I think the Ripmo still felt a touch quicker and more agile, but they are pretty much neck and neck. Probably going to go Ripmo if the LBS can get one in a reasonable amount of time.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    You're me (hair under 6' and ~235#). I'm curious what other bikes you tried and ruled out. And why.

Both those are on my radar, as well as the 130, Offering and Sentinel. Not that I'm in any hurry to be rid of my Smuggler, but who knows?
    Well, pretty slack with a steeper seat tube, a burly fork, and 160 mm travel up front are basic requirements, which narrows the field quite a bit off the bat. I rode a SC Hightower LT and didn't like it much at all, to be honest. It was the lumbering bike I always imagined a 29'er to be. I felt like I was "on top" of it and it was tough to get the front wheel off the ground, at least as compared to what I am used to. I took the new Ripley for a quick cruise, but wanted a little bit more bike.

I have ridden the HD4 on the same trail as I rode the SB150 on today, a complete ride last summer and a half-climb in May when the demo van was in town. Honestly, after both rides on the HD4, I was thinking "this is my bike." My complete ride was late July last year, and I was in better shape, but I pr'ed the climb (3.2 miles, 1200 ft) and was within 15 seconds of a PR coming back down, which happens to be well within the top 10% all time on that trail (humble brag to say I kinda know what I'm doing on the downhill side...uphill is another story, lol). On the half-climb route in May, riding the HD4 and Ripmo on consecutive (so conditioning is equal, lol), I was 30 seconds quicker up on the HD and about 30 seconds quicker down. I know Strava times aren't everything, but ...

The HD4 basically feels like a better version of my Enduro, if that makes sense. Maybe that's why I'm faster on it right away? The 29'ers feel like different machines in a way. I'm more off the back on the Enduro and HD4, front wheel off the ground all the time, in the air a lot... On the long 29'ers, I'm over the front bars more on the downhill. You need to weight the front tire on corners more on the 29'ers, it feels like to me. I imagine once I get used to that, I'll be just as fast or faster than ever.

Idk, tough decision. I was talking to the LBS owner when I dropped the SB off, and commented that according to Strava, I had been quite a bit quicker on the HD4 both up and down then on either 29'er (again, conditioning being an immeasurable). He was surprised. He said he'd get me whatever I wanted, but commented that "there's a reason no one is really coming out with a new 27" bike right now." Which is kind of my own conclusion, too, and what turned me off to the HD4 even though I liked the initial ride on the HD4 better. I don't know if that's a good conclusion or not, lol.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well, pretty slack with a steeper seat tube, a burly fork, and 160 mm travel up front are basic requirements, which narrows the field quite a bit off the bat. I rode a SC Hightower LT and didn't like it much at all, to be honest. It was the lumbering bike I always imagined a 29'er to be. I felt like I was "on top" of it and it was tough to get the front wheel off the ground, at least as compared to what I am used to. I took the new Ripley for a quick cruise, but wanted a little bit more bike.

I have ridden the HD4 on the same trail as I rode the SB150 on today, a complete ride last summer and a half-climb in May when the demo van was in town. Honestly, after both rides on the HD4, I was thinking "this is my bike." My complete ride was late July last year, and I was in better shape, but I pr'ed the climb (3.2 miles, 1200 ft) and was within 15 seconds of a PR coming back down, which happens to be well within the top 10% all time on that trail (humble brag to say I kinda know what I'm doing on the downhill side...uphill is another story, lol). On the half-climb route in May, riding the HD4 and Ripmo on consecutive (so conditioning is equal, lol), I was 30 seconds quicker up on the HD and about 30 seconds quicker down. I know Strava times aren't everything, but ...

The HD4 basically feels like a better version of my Enduro, if that makes sense. Maybe that's why I'm faster on it right away? The 29'ers feel like different machines in a way. I'm more off the back on the Enduro and HD4, front wheel off the ground all the time, in the air a lot... On the long 29'ers, I'm over the front bars more on the downhill. You need to weight the front tire on corners more on the 29'ers, it feels like to me. I imagine once I get used to that, I'll be just as fast or faster than ever.

Idk, tough decision. I was talking to the LBS owner when I dropped the SB off, and commented that according to Strava, I had been quite a bit quicker on the HD4 both up and down then on either 29'er (again, conditioning being an immeasurable). He was surprised. He said he'd get me whatever I wanted, but commented that "there's a reason no one is really coming out with a new 27" bike right now." Which is kind of my own conclusion, too, and what turned me off to the HD4 even though I liked the initial ride on the HD4 better. I don't know if that's a good conclusion or not, lol.
    There are an insane amount excellent bikes out right now - more than anytime before with the explosion of the boutique brand segment.

Santa Cruz used to be unique- they are approaching Camaro like status.
    Everyone has a SC I ride with.

Iím looking Pivot - people rave about the Switchblade.

mtbr member
    Dm skinnybex.. he owned a ripmo and has a sb150.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Dm skinnybex.. he owned a ripmo and has a sb150.

I picture that guy with a garage full of bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    No kidding...never seen somebody be so negative about a couple of bikes in so many threads. He should just change his name to "anti-bex".
    Hey Hey Hey, Leave me out of this.....I'm turning over a new leaf
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    I'd personally recommend a GG Smash if you can wait a few months or if your not against 157mm spacing the Knolly Fugitive.

The Yeti SB150 is a great bike but definitely a different beast than the Ripmo and I'd say the Ripmo is a better All Arounder considering all aspects of bike performance Climb/Descend/Playfullness

The Yeti has a few quirks that make it a compromise compared to other bikes....limited Rear tire clearance, SI upkeep and a higher price premium but the 150 is the goods when pushed hard on appropriate terrain.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    My favorite 2 bikes that Ive owned are my SB130 and Orbea Rallon but now days almost every company makes a really good bike that slots into your riding style.

I wasn't blown away by the Ripmo as far as descending goes but it did everything else amazingly well.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Interesting- I was defending the yeti build quality but Iím negative?

I mentioned I saw a Ripmo pedal strike thread on here because OP asked for feedback.

Iíve test ridden the Ripmo and I liked it - almost it deal fell through on eBay .

I tested a Large 130 way too small .

I tested a xxl SCHT - most comfort ever ever for me - Didnít like the $ for the components.

I was set possibly to buy a Pivot SB I found w great components but I was told today the new Pivot line is imminent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    If you are tall, be aware of the steeper ST angle contributing more to wrist and hand pressure on the Ripmo. Worse on flat or rolling terrain.
    STA on the SB150 is 77* IIRC, same as Ripmo . Or is it more of an issue with the Ripmo because of the DW link riding higher in its travel (not sure what the recommended sag is for each bike) making the actual seated STA steeper?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    For trail riding I feel the Ripmo is a better platform, but if you are faster on the SB150, that's what I would buy, regardless of the wait.
    Why is outright speed a factor? Did he ask about racing?

I'd rather ride the bike that was more fun first, and had better customer support second. Strava times don't factor in unless it's a race bike.

There's a reason why the Ripmo has won every comparison test it's been in.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'd personally recommend a GG Smash if you can wait a few months or if your not against 157mm spacing the Knolly Fugitive.

The Yeti SB150 is a great bike but definitely a different beast than the Ripmo and I'd say the Ripmo is a better All Arounder considering all aspects of bike performance Climb/Descend/Playfullness

The Yeti has a few quirks that make it a compromise compared to other bikes....limited Rear tire clearance, SI upkeep and a higher price premium but the 150 is the goods when pushed hard on appropriate terrain.
    Isnít the GG smash out already ? Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Isnít the GG smash out already ? Carbon

The Carbon Smash is out but it takes 6-8 weeks for your frame to be made from Pre-order to completion
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The Carbon Smash is out but it takes 6-8 weeks for your frame to be made from Pre-order to completion
    Wow that good a bike eh?

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Smash sounds pretty killer, and at a decent price point, too. I called them and was told "at least" 8 weeks. I'm not looking to wait that long.

mtbr member
    There are some good review comments recently posted in the sb150 thread. Take a read of those...

Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Because I know you all are looking for closure on this ...

I ordered the Ripmo this morning. Should be 2 weeks or less...

Black & green, GX with the upgraded 36 grip 2 fork and X2 can. Now the wait ... : )
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Black & green, GX with the upgraded 36 grip 2 fork and X2 can. Now the wait ... : )
    That's exactly what I got. You're going to love it. I'm torching all my old PR's up and down on it (coming from a nomad3)

Keep on Rockin...
    Good luck on your new build.

Something I'd add... Ibis as a company seems to have always had a philosophy of always designing their bikes for trail riders; to be great all-around trail riding bikes. Rarely pure xc or enduro and racing type stuff - not the "one trick pony" stuff. Their bikes seem to always pedal very well going up as all-around trail riders typically want a bike that performs very well where you spend most of your time riding. Heck, even a mediocre bike is still a lot of fun bombing the downhill. The Ripmo does appear to be a bike that do a lot of riding quite well. Seems like a true all mountain machine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Good luck on your new build.

Something I'd add... Ibis as a company seems to have always had a philosophy of always designing their bikes for trail riders; to be great all-around trail riding bikes. Rarely pure xc or enduro and racing type stuff - not the "one trick pony" stuff. Their bikes seem to always pedal very well going up as all-around trail riders typically want a bike that performs very well where you spend most of your time riding. Heck, even a mediocre bike is still a lot of fun bombing the downhill. The Ripmo does appear to be a bike that do a lot of riding quite well. Seems like a true all mountain machine.
    That has been my impression of Ibis bikes, too, which is why I've had my eye on them since the HD came out. They didn't seem to try to be long and slack just for the sake of being long and slack, for example. I'm sure everyone puts thought into their bike designs, obviously, but Ibis has seemed to take an approach less driven by what everyone else is doing and more toward what they want their bikes to do. My 10,000 ft view at least, lol.

Looking forward to getting it on the trail!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ackshen View Post
    That's exactly what I got. You're going to love it. I'm torching all my old PR's up and down on it (coming from a nomad3)
    Being able to keep up with a Nomad on the way down the hill is high praise indeed! I can't wait to get it out on the trails.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Congratulations, sir. You made an excellent choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just checked - Size 4 not being produced until quarter 3!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Just checked - Size 4 not being produced until quarter 3!

Yeah, I forgot they are trying to ramp up production on the other sizes beside Size 3 which was available at Launch.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member

Congrats on the decision and purchase. You bought such a great bike that'll serve you well for many years.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy