Narrowed down to 2....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Narrowed down to 2....

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm in the market to buy my first 29er and have it narrowed down to either a 09 Fisher Paragon or 09 Salsa Dos Niner. I've ridden the Paragon and was very comfortable on it. I won't have an opportunity to ride the Dos Niner before purchase, but thought I might like the extra cushion of the softtail.
    The only other 29er I've ridden was a 09 Specialed Rockhopper Expert disc. Hated it immediately as it felt like I was perched on top of the bike.
    Can anyone compare the ride quality of the Dos vs Paragon?

^ That's what I do
    They're both good bikes. If you've ridden the Paragon and liked it then I'd say go with that.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What makes the softtail design attractive to you? If you've got a bad back, or some other trait that will make this important (planning on lots of endurance rides, etc.), then it's worth at least finding one to try. If not, however -- if you're just a general rider -- then it makes sense to go with the bike that you've already ridden and know that you like.

Like HR said, though, they're both good, solid bikes with lots of fans, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Good luck!

mtbr member
    If you truely are not sure which direction to take you may want to see what you can do about tracking down a local Dos Niner to test ride (whether it be at a shop or maybe someone in a local MTB club has one you could throw a leg over). Many people love that bike but there are some out there that dislike it.

I test rode one and absolutely loved it. I ended up with the Paragon only because I couldn't come close to building up a Dos Niner for the same price.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BW, no bad back here. Just thought the softail might take a little edge off the roots. I'm not looking for FS, but did think it would be nice to have a little squish when I test rode the Paragon which led me to think the Dos might be the answer.

A1, it's unlikely I'll find a Dos to test. How did the riding position feel on the Dos compared to the Paragon? The G2 geometry seemed to work well for me and I was wondering if the Dos feels similar. I felt centered "in" the bike instead of "on" the bike when I rode the Paragon. If the Dos is similar, I would be swayed that way because of the 1" in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i own a dos niner as well as a superfly (identical geometry as the paragon). my clear preference is the superfly.

i feel much more stable especially in sharp turns at low speed and in long high speed downhills through rough terrain.

i tried a lot to make the dos niner work for me and will keep trying. i just love the super cool orange paint job too much to give up on this bike ...

Rollin 29s
    I didn't realize that the Paragon had the same geometry as the Superfly, but this brings up another option. The Fly Ti 29er has the same geometry as well. If you wanted the edge to be taken off of rough trails, the Ti would do it for you while maintaining hard tail climbing power transfer that you won't have to the same extent even on a short travel FS bike.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...TI_29_2010.htm

I own it and am very impressed with the quality, build, ride of Titanium, trail handling and light weight.

The point may be mute however as it appears you have decided on one of the two you mentioned.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopping_Rocks
    They're both good bikes. If you've ridden the Paragon and liked it then I'd say go with that.
    I wouldn't do that without riding a Dos first... The Fisher is a nice bike, no doubt, but they're different enough that you owe it to yourself to at least try both.

You're spending enough money that you really don't want to "go with" anything. You really want to want, and love your new bike. Test ride everything you're interested in and buy the bike you love... whatever that ends up being.
    I like bikes

Apr 2007
    I loved the Paragon I demoed. For the value and the fit, I'd go with GF. If you find the ride harsh, maybe a thudbuster will smooth things over?

Dirty Tuesdays
    Feb 2010
    Salsa Dos Niner is an amazing ride. In either case make sure you demo

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by nicchick
    BW, no bad back here. Just thought the softail might take a little edge off the roots. I'm not looking for FS, but did think it would be nice to have a little squish when I test rode the Paragon which led me to think the Dos might be the answer.

A1, it's unlikely I'll find a Dos to test. How did the riding position feel on the Dos compared to the Paragon? The G2 geometry seemed to work well for me and I was wondering if the Dos feels similar. I felt centered "in" the bike instead of "on" the bike when I rode the Paragon. If the Dos is similar, I would be swayed that way because of the 1" in the rear.
    Some 29er bikes feel like you are on top of them while other's feel like you ride "in" them... not really a G2 thing necessarily. The goals of keeping the head tube, stand over, bottom bracket drop etc... can create this position, some like it some do not- go figure we are all different...

I have a Salsa 29er but not a dos- and love it but I built it frame up with the parts I wanted- not that cost was not a factor but I wanted what I wanted (to an extent...). The two bikes you are comparing are very different for sure. I think for the cash the Fisher will offer a great package, though to beat in spec- The Dos is a neat concept but like most things it compromises some things to offer others.... It will take the edge off but how often do you sit while riding over technical terrain...???... I am not endurance rider but for most rides I don't spend too much time in the saddle when heading down or over trail obstacles... So I have chosen a Hardtail and a few months later came across a F/S frame and have a great balance of F/S comfort and trail capabilities with the ability to climb and my HT/Rigid for most of my other rides
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    have you thought about the mamasita? it seems like a middle point of the two frames you are looking at. not as stiff as straight aluminum, but not quite a softtail either. speedgoat is blowing out the mamasitas right now. over $1500 off the original price.
    as for not being able to find one to test, post on your local board on mtbr or your local trail club to see if anyone has either the dos or mama to throw a leg over. they might even let you put a few miles on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

I haven't considered the mama as I think it's a little too race oriented for me. I'm not a racer.

If I was going with Ti I would pick up a Lynskey Ridgeline not a Fly Ti, but that's a lot of $ for my first 29er.

I didn't find the ride of the Paragon harsh, but I just took it for a parking lot ride. After a few hours in the saddle on a trail, I'm afraid it might beat me up a little as I'm used to FS. A thudbuster is a thought.....

Knott, yes I stand when going over technical terrain, but after I few hours of saddle time, I tend to get lazy and sit some.

What's making this tougher (other than not being able to demo a dos) is that they are within $100 of each other in price, so that doesn't help sway me one way over the other. The Fisher is actually a little more than the Dos.

Rollin 29s
    Thanks for the replies.

If I was going with Ti I would pick up a Lynskey Ridgeline not a Fly Ti, but that's a lot of $ for my first 29er.
    Yes it is a lot of money, but a nice bike for certain.

Considering the build you would buy for equivalent components to the Fly Ti, you would pay $4394 for the Lynskey. $1995 for the Fly.

The potential benefit of 'maybe' being able to test ride the Lynskey first (Fly is mail order, so you can't test ride first unless you knew someone with one) isn't worth $2400 IMHO. For me I knew that I liked the fit and feel of the Superfly (same geometry), so it was a no brainer. Now that I've had it for a while, put some miles on it in different conditions and compared it to other Ti bikes, I'm glad I got over my mail order and Bikes Direct phobias, and wasn't pigeon holing myself into the unobtainium high dollar Ti bike camp.

I don't know if this is where you are coming from, but if so, and if Ti is something you would like but don't think you can justify the cost, don't cut yourself short by NOT considering the Fly Ti. All of the reviews of this bike have been favorable.

Rider and Wrench
    Thanks for the replies.

I haven't considered the mama as I think it's a little too race oriented for me. I'm not a racer.

I didn't find the ride of the Paragon harsh, but I just took it for a parking lot ride. After a few hours in the saddle on a trail, I'm afraid it might beat me up a little as I'm used to FS. A thudbuster is a thought.....

Knott, yes I stand when going over technical terrain, but after I few hours of saddle time, I tend to get lazy and sit some.

What's making this tougher (other than not being able to demo a dos) is that they are within $100 of each other in price, so that doesn't help sway me one way over the other. The Fisher is actually a little more than the Dos.
    I agree with you on the long ride thing- that is where the F/S fits in for me... I am not a huge GF fan but can't deny they are making some nice 29ers for sure. As far as soft tails... I like the concept and for some it works, for me I would probably go one direction or the other a hardtail or a F/S.

I know it sounds like you have narrowed it down to "2" but I ride a Steel Salsa El Mariachi and it is a great bike- The ride is very compliant but yet it still climbs very well. The Geo is not very Racy and with a ti seat post (or suspension post if you prefer) it is very comfortable over the long hall- It is priced pretty well but comes as a rigid you can choose your own fork- 80-100mm is what most run-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Members who have read this thread: 0