My x-caliber. 6 months of use in so far- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My x-caliber. 6 months of use in so far

Hey all just wanted to share my experiences with my 04 X-caliber. First off. I cant see owning anything else other then a 29ner. It just rocks. I started riding it bone stock. And bone stock its heavyÖ but you really donít notice it. You just go over things so much easier. I put maybe a 100 miles on it stock.

I have some issues with some of the components on the bike after a time. The SRAM cassette is crap. I know some people might like them but at least at the low end SRAM does not cut it. The Bontrager cranks. Yep bent the hell out of those. The shifters and LX derailleur are OK. But not great. So to fix these things I started cutting up my old 26er. Bring on the XT shifters, rear derailleur, and cassette. This made a great improvement. Shifts are now clean and much faster. I like the steps up the cassette on the XT better then SRAM as well. I thought about putting on a new style XT or LX crank but hear not all great things about them. So I am putting on my old LX M571 cranks on this bad boy.

This is all the crap I had in my home shopÖ So I am thinking not enough. Time to spend some money. Listen guys if you own a 29ner and are looking at wheels go talk to your Gary Fisher dealer. Race X Lite wheel sets are CHEAP and totally bad a##. Everyone loves the Bontrager hoops and DT Swiss. I am getting disc specific up front and duel uses in the back. So its Avid 7 mechanical disc up front in a 185mm and Avid ultimate v-break in back. I am starting to knock some serious weight off this ride. Itís going to totally rock when my stuff gets in.

Soon its time to upgrade the cockpit. Thatís stuff is super heavy. I am hoping to have a less than 25 lbs 29er bike for well under 1500 bucks. Not a bad day.

Ok let me know where I have messed up. I think I am doing pretty well though.

Witty McWitterson
    Go disc front and rear. It just looks better.
    Just a regular guy.

My gloves stink

Race X lite wheelsets cheap?

Cheap? As in, how much?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fork?

Ok, this might cost ya a bit, but big performance gain AND weight loss to ditch the Zoke and get a REBA! Also, don't forget stem/bar/seatpost/saddle for big weight savings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Cheap? As in, how much?
    I am running disc front and v-break rear for 325. 400 will get you disc specific.