My Walt Works - what should I do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

My Walt Works - what should I do?

So, for the last two seasons, I've had my Walt Works set up rigid with a 1 x 9. This has proven to be an incredibly fun bike for some of the local trails here in Colorado (Buffalo Creek especially).

This winter, I have added a Knolly Endorphin to the stable. I purposefully built up the Endorphin ia bit burlier with a Cane Creek Double Barrel, Lyrik, etc. Its a 33lbs trail bike that I think compliments my Walt Works really well.

Recently, however, I have been toying with the idea of making the Walt Works a bit more versatile. Swapping out the rigid for suspension and going to a 2 x 9 vs. 1 x 9. This would give the bike a bit more of an endurance feel and would allow me to expand its riding capabilities.

My fear is, however, when I start toying with the Walt Works, I loose some of the novelty and pleasures of riding rigid with fewer gears and expand the Venn Diagram of uses between it and the Knolly.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    You can always go back to the way it was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nater,

That is true. One of the other ideas I've been bouncing around with is getting another crown race, keeping the rigid and swapping back and forth between the two depending on rides.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    I swap back and forth with my Waltworks based on the season (2 crown races) and sometimes the ride. You will lose nothing, other than money.

As far as the 2x9 or 1x9. That seems like a fitness or preference thing. If you already have gears, and want more... not sure what your point is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would throw a small travel fork on that pup and keep the rigid fork for sure. Make sure the A2c is similar under riding weight to give you same geometry that was custom to you. If you keep the fork light enough, you could go without more gears. I personally like the 1x9 on a hardtail because you get to standup and hammer on the steep stuff, and force yourself to work harder (ie get in shape for AM rides on the burly Knolly).

Another alternative would be to get a high volume tire on the front to give you more cush and still force you to use good technique.

But, me bum wrist, no likey rigid forks, take with salt.
    -elake

"I don't half-a$$ anything, for me it's whole-a$$ or nothing."
    -elake

mtb remember
    Not sure more gears are going to enhance your experience. With a 1 x 9, you should have at least a 1-1 ratio. If that isn't enough on a rigid hardtail, you might as well get off and walk at that point.

I'd agree about the switchable front fork, though. On anything other than groomed trails, I much prefer a suspension fork. I ran a WB Rock Solid on my One9 for a month and just couldn't get past the feeling that it was about to break at any minute (or that I was going to loose some teeth).
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

tl1
    Bicyclist

Just go...

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    ...and ride your bicycles. The answers will come to you

Rider and Wrench
    I know where you are coming from- I have a Mariachi I run rigid 1X9 or SS- I built up a F/S 29er and enjoy the contrast between the two- though my F/S is not built quite as burly as yours...so it comes in a bit closer in weight- I recently picked up a suspension fork (and will be getting the crown race) which I may or may not use since I love the feel of the bike rigid as it is, I do however like having a crank that can be swapped from single to double or tripple fairly easily-

Try to get a decent 80-100mm fork and give it a try-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Members who have read this thread: 0