My new Monocog Flight 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My new Monocog Flight 29

I just picked up my 2009 Redline Monocog Flight 29 in 15". What a fun bike.

I'm still getting used to the geometry change from my Cannondale Rush. I'm 5'-6" and ride a 17" 26-er. So I thought I'd go with the 15" 29-er. Fit is good except the steep seat tube angle makes the seat too far forward for me. Need to get a new seatpost that has a much greater setback.

Otherwise I was having a blast. I'll have to hit some more technical trails to see how it feels. But so far, the rigid front is very accurate as long as I can keep the tire on the ground. The impacts feel similar to the Judy XC I ran on my old Stumpjumper in terms of jarring. The rear is more plush than my old stumpjumper for sure.

I'm still on the stock 32/18 gearing. But will be picking up a 20 soon.

And a nice shot with the transport vehicle in it...
    Last edited by traffic002; 09-03-2009 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet!

I see you've got your saddle all the way back on the rails. If you can find a cheapo stem that is say 10mm longer than the stock one I recommend giving it a go and then sliding your saddle more towards mid-rail position and see how that treats ya. If you can find/borrow a cheap stem to experiment with - it might be worth it.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Sweet bike.

I sank about $1500 total into my Monocog Flight so far after buying it used off ebay for $500 and converted it to a 1x9 since I got tired of changing out the cogs for different conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Sweet bike.

I sank about $1500 total into my Monocog Flight so far after buying it used off ebay for $500.
    $1500!!!

Um, I'm on thin ice with the wifey as it is. Won't be sinking much in except the bare necessities to let me have fun. Comfortable position and proper gearing.

So my plan is to pick up the 20T cog, a whip, and a spline nut tool. A new chain if needed. Oh, probably another SPD pedal so I don't have to swap back and forth with my Rush.

I thought the second water bottle braze-ons on the front of the downtube was interesting. That would be the emergency dirty water bottle!!

I'm surprised that the seat is actually somewhat comfortable. Or maybe it's just because I was barely seated during my ride.

32/18 gearing makes for a FAST ride. I felt like I was nearing race pace instead of a brisk cruise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    $1500!!!

Um, I'm on thin ice with the wifey as it is. Won't be sinking much in except the bare necessities to let me have fun. Comfortable position and proper gearing.

So my plan is to pick up the 20T cog, a whip, and a spline nut tool. A new chain if needed. Oh, probably another SPD pedal so I don't have to swap back and forth with my Rush.

I thought the second water bottle braze-ons on the front of the downtube was interesting. That would be the emergency dirty water bottle!!

I'm surprised that the seat is actually somewhat comfortable. Or maybe it's just because I was barely seated during my ride.

32/18 gearing makes for a FAST ride. I felt like I was nearing race pace instead of a brisk cruise.
    I have had good luck using a rag instead of a chainwhip.... kinda hard to explain but I use the rag as a chainwhip, and just wrap it around the rear cog and the teeth dig into it and hold it stiff whle I use the spline nut tool to remove the lockring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Sweet!

I see you've got your saddle all the way back on the rails. If you can find a cheapo stem that is say 10mm longer than the stock one I recommend giving it a go and then sliding your saddle more towards mid-rail position and see how that treats ya. If you can find/borrow a cheap stem to experiment with - it might be worth it.
    I'm finding that my weight is a bit more forward than I'd like already. I'm sure a longer stem would help the cramped feeling. But I feel like I want to move my weight backwards.

What is the difference between a layback seatpost and one with a setback?

I only know of the Thompson:

And then a typical setback (I think the Flight comes with a some setback.) Not sure if there are other models that have a larger setback.

mtbr member
    Your seatpost already has setback to it - probably more than the Thomson you pictured above.

I was in a similar situation as you with my Mono9 - same geometry. I have a 17" and I had it set up with the same seatpost. I went from a 100mm stem to a 110mm and I was able to center up my saddle a bit more. I still have plenty of weight on the backend of the bike, my pedal stroke feels great and I can nicely weight the front end on corners and climbs. All by going with an extra 10mm of stem length.

Worth experimenting with if you can is all I'm sayin. Again - sweet sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Your seatpost already has setback to it - probably more than the Thomson you pictured above.

I was in a similar situation as you with my Mono9 - same geometry. I have a 17" and I had it set up with the same seatpost. I went from a 100mm stem to a 110mm and I was able to center up my saddle a bit more. I still have plenty of weight on the backend of the bike, my pedal stroke feels great and I can nicely weight the front end on corners and climbs. All by going with an extra 10mm of stem length.

Worth experimenting with if you can is all I'm sayin. Again - sweet sweet bike!
    I'm planning on taking my bike into LBS to work on changing out the rear cog. I'll ask if they have some differing lengths of stems laying around I can try out.

mtbr member
    BTW, we weighed my bike with SPD 520 pedals and it came in at 26.3#

Not too shabby for a steel 29-er!

mtbr member
    Ok, so I had an extra saddle at home. Looks like the rails are nearly an inch longer.

So I swapped the saddles and took measurements off of my Rush and tried to duplicate the saddle position. (The Rush was dialed in with video/computer assisted custom fitting.)

I tooled around the block and it feels better. But I may have to drop the saddle a touch in the trails to clear the seat so I can move back when I'm crawling down rock faces and all...

Life is Go0d!
    Congrats on the Flight! Give her some time, and the "other" bike will get neglected. By the way, the red Oury lock ons look real good with the rest of the Red on the bike. They are comfy too. Remember, its a purpose built bike.. its purpose is to make you smile, acknowledge the differences between rigid and fs, and ride the wheels off it.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im glad you like the new bike, paul. i rode it around the lot a few times after it was build and was really impressed with the ride quality.

btw, this is mark from pac bike. hope to see you on this on the shop rides soon
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myself369
    im glad you like the new bike, paul. i rode it around the lot a few times after it was build and was really impressed with the ride quality.

btw, this is mark from pac bike. hope to see you on this on the shop rides soon
    Mark,

This is all yours and Alex's fault. All that talk about a rigid fork and single speed.

I actually had a lot of fun on the Beav. Though I thought the gearing of the 32/18 would actually put me toward the front of the pack on the group rides. Hopefully the 20t rear would put me more mid-pack.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to Paradise Lake. It'll be wet, so it'll be interesting how she does on wet rocks and roots. I transferred my frame and rear fenders in preparation.

I'll have to work up to trying Grand Ridge or the Tokuls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Congrats on the Flight! Give her some time, and the "other" bike will get neglected. By the way, the red Oury lock ons look real good with the rest of the Red on the bike. They are comfy too. Remember, its a purpose built bike.. its purpose is to make you smile, acknowledge the differences between rigid and fs, and ride the wheels off it.
    I'll check out Oury grips.

Well, my Monocog and my Rush are polar opposites in a way. Built for two different purposes. They will get used accordingly. I also have a nice road bike that gets some love once in a while...(commuting for now, but will go on a nice ride out in the country before the cold rains hit.)

mtbr member
    So went on my second ride on the Flight today. Rain. So the trails that we hit would typically be an intermediate technical trail with lots of roots and not too much elevation. However, in the wet, the trails become Advanced going through root fields on every turn of the way.

On this trail, the 29 wheels offered great stability and rollability over the roots. I had the advantage over my buddies today for sure. I was worried that the 29 would be like a truck through the twisty tight trails with skinning ramps up and down large logs. But I guess the geo has been dialed in and the rigid fork offers tremendous feedback and control.

The alternate seat with longer seat rails definitely helped. I was able to be in a more comfortable position. The bike felt more "right." I just worry about how much stress there is on the saddle rail and seat post clamp with the seat cantilevered over so far. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose.

One down side!

The brake cables rub on certain parts of the frame causing scratches. The one by the head tube is particularly bad scraping all the paint off the head tube as well as the lower bearing race.

I got home and I cleaned the bike. Then added 3M protective film on these areas. Thats' too bad they didn't come like this or at least advised of it.

I also put some film on the top tube where my bike rack arm holds the bike in place.

OK, I think I'm good to go.

Nothing loose yet. Brakes are bedding in bedder.

Life is Go0d!
    So went on my second ride on the Flight today. Rain. So the trails that we hit would typically be an intermediate technical trail with lots of roots and not too much elevation. However, in the wet, the trails become Advanced going through root fields on every turn of the way.

On this trail, the 29 wheels offered great stability and rollability over the roots. I had the advantage over my buddies today for sure. I was worried that the 29 would be like a truck through the twisty tight trails with skinning ramps up and down large logs. But I guess the geo has been dialed in and the rigid fork offers tremendous feedback and control.

The alternate seat with longer seat rails definitely helped. I was able to be in a more comfortable position. The bike felt more "right." I just worry about how much stress there is on the saddle rail and seat post clamp with the seat cantilevered over so far. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose.

One down side!

The brake cables rub on certain parts of the frame causing scratches. The one by the head tube is particularly bad scraping all the paint off the head tube as well as the lower bearing race.

I got home and I cleaned the bike. Then added 3M protective film on these areas. Thats' too bad they didn't come like this or at least advised of it.

I also put some film on the top tube where my bike rack arm holds the bike in place.

OK, I think I'm good to go.

Nothing loose yet. Brakes are bedding in bedder.
    The LBS should have trimmed the cables down, but most of them dont. :-) Also, another tip, take the cable housing clips off and throw them away. Replace them with black zip ties. Security is a good thing... those little clips are useless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mark,

This is all yours and Alex's fault. All that talk about a rigid fork and single speed.

I actually had a lot of fun on the Beav. Though I thought the gearing of the 32/18 would actually put me toward the front of the pack on the group rides. Hopefully the 20t rear would put me more mid-pack.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to Paradise Lake. It'll be wet, so it'll be interesting how she does on wet rocks and roots. I transferred my frame and rear fenders in preparation.

I'll have to work up to trying Grand Ridge or the Tokuls.
    it's true, alex and i are a terrible influence on everyone - we've even got scott sipping the 29er kool-aide. you going to join us at the beav on wednesday? i think ill run it fixed just for laughs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myself369
    it's true, alex and i are a terrible influence on everyone - we've even got scott sipping the 29er kool-aide. you going to join us at the beav on wednesday? i think ill run it fixed just for laughs
    Arghh!!! I'd love to run the Beav. Especially with the 32/18 setup!!

But I have to pick up somone at the airport Wed eve. Otherwise, I would so be there. Lights and all!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    bummer man, have any free days this week to go for a ride? im always the only singlespeed and it'd be nice to have some company. i guess now that both you, jay and matt got one things will change

I hate that name.
    I'm finding that my weight is a bit more forward than I'd like already. I'm sure a longer stem would help the cramped feeling. But I feel like I want to move my weight backwards.
    Have you considered that the 15" frame size may just be too small for you? You're running the seatpost almost all the way out, have the seat all the way back on the rails and yet you still feel cramped? The answer is obvious.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    Have you considered that the 15" frame size may just be too small for you? You're running the seatpost almost all the way out, have the seat all the way back on the rails and yet you still feel cramped? The answer is obvious.
    I 2nd that. I think you got a frame that was too small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo
    I 2nd that. I think you got a frame that was too small.
    So I don't know what the policy is on returning a special order bike. I'll have to go inquire.

Again, the problem is that I don't know if the 17" is any better. On my Rush, the seat is actually pushed forward on the rails. But I do agree that I have more room to move around it seems on the Rush. Heck, I can barely do a manual on the Monocog. But I just figured it's a different bike with different feel.

mtbr member
    I think you got the right size based on your height. Give it more time. I betcha the 15" frame comes stock with a shorter length stem than on the other sizes of the Flights. I bet it is just a matter of a stem swap and you'll be golden.

Life is Go0d!
    I think you got the right size based on your height. Give it more time. I betcha the 15" frame comes stock with a shorter length stem than on the other sizes of the Flights. I bet it is just a matter of a stem swap and you'll be golden.
    That is correct, the stem on the 15 is shorter than the one on the 19.

mtbr member
    Probably the 15 and 17 come with 90mm stem and the 19 and 21 come with 100mm.

I have a 110 on my Stumpjumper (that I can't seem to find anymore) and then replaced it with a 100mm stem (that my friend is borrowing). We measured them up and the Flight stem was about 10mm shorter than the 100mm unit.

So I have that much to play around if need be.

Installing the seat with a longer rail allowed me to move back enough to match the crank-saddle geo of my Rush. That was crucial. The cockpit feels very similar now. I took measurements and I am within 1/2" of bar to saddle distance between the Flight and the Rush.

My only concern was how durable positioning the saddle so far back on the rail would be. But I'll just assume that at my 160# weight, I put less stress on the parts than someone that is 180#. Hopefully that is enough to allow me to ride without issues.

loud hubs save lives
    the problem lies in the seat tube angle.

On the 15", its one degree steeper than the 17" ... putting you farther forward than you'd expect.

I went through the same thing. I am 5'8", i ordered a 15" based on my height/inseam and standover. I tested a 17 at the shop, which felt ok, but i just wanted a little more standover, so i went with the 15.

When i built it up i felt incredibly cramped. I ended up with a setback post, and the seat all the way back and 100mm stem ... which felt fine to me. I have a relatively short inseam, and long torso so i wanted that extra reach.

When my frame cracked (this was the first year flight, before they changed the gusset and downtube thickness), i took the chance to upgrade to the 17, but still used the setback post ... this time my saddle just wasn't all the way back on the rails.

If i were you i would get the setback post, just to get your saddle where it should've been if the angles were the same between the 15/17, then go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What bike rack is that? (brand/model/?)

mtbr member
    It's the Swagman XC 2bike.

Pretty simple and affective. Lightweight. Not the beefiest, but it gets the job done.

I put the tassles on their since it sticks about 3' behind the car. And my car is pretty tiny to begin with. Just don't want anyone running into the back.

mtbr member
    You'll be fine with the saddle set back on the rails like that. A Easton EA 70 seatpost might give you a little more setback than the current Ritchey that came stock (although that is a setback post as well). Add in a slightly longer stem and you should be good to go. Plus with a SS you are standing a lot anyway. I'd rather have a the smaller frame and have it be more maneuverable, easier to move around on while SSing than the larger frame.

Also a slightly longer stem will help you keep the front end of the bike planted a bit more on steeper climbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0