My New '05 Paragon- Mtbr.com
    C-Hog
    Jan 2004

My New '05 Paragon

I have had this built up for about a week now, but just got the pic's. Due to all the ice and cold, have only had it outside on one occassion, and that before I got things dialed in. So I do not yet have any comparisons on '05 vs. '04. Really love the color and graphics. I've owned numerous Fishers... some in spite of the graphics and color combinations. Gary really nailed it on this one!!! Build spec's are as follows:

Frame Size: XL
    Fork: Reba Race, 80mm
    Cranks / Bottom Brkt: XTR, 180mm
    Pedals: Egg Beaters
    Front Der.: LX
    Rear Der.: SRAM X.9
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Triggers
    Cassette: XTR
    Chain: SRAM PC99
    Wheelset: Bontrager Race
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7's
    Handlebar: Bontrager RaceLite Flat
    Bar Ends: Titec Carbon, wrapped w/ Hockey Stick Tape
    Stem: Bontrager RaceLite, 90mm x 7 degree
    Saddle: WTB Lazer V Stealth
    Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST
    26.2 lbs., as pictured

Future upgrades:
    Seatpost: Moots Ti
    Headset: King - Red Ano.

I have last year's SuperCal for sale, to help my pay for this new ride. Please check out the Mtbr classifieds, if you're needing a used XL in excellent condition.

Happy Trails,
    Jim C.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

Very Nice!

Jim- That is one fine looking bike. I can't wait to see it in person! Congrats!

-Matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's a great looking bike. It's nice to see that Fisher has finally come to realize that less is more in the graphics/sticker dept. The under the top tube cable routing is really nice too. I hope more manufacturers catch on to that idea!

(I was about to say that you're bike sure doesn't look like an XL but then I realized this was posted in the 29'er forum.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thud

How do you like the Thudbuster ST?

C-Hog
    Jan 2004

Can't really say for sure (yet)...

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    We have been socked in with lots of ice and REALLY cold temp's. I have only had the bike outside once, and that was before I got the seatpost installed. (Been spending lots of time on the wind trainer.) However, I think I'll really like it a lot. I've ridden the original Thudbuster design for about the past 5-6 years. The ST should give 90% of the benefits, at about 70% of the weight.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Hog
    II have last year's SuperCal for sale, to help my pay for this new ride. Please check out the Mtbr classifieds, if you're needing a used XL in excellent condition.
    couldn't find the link....

edit: I found it...dang, I hate the classifieds "search" function...or lack there of...
    Last edited by ncj01; 01-17-2005 at 07:20 AM.
    FS: Everything

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    If you're interested (and haven't read it already), I posted some thoughts on the ST <a href="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=55194"><font color="blue">HERE.</font></a>

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Hog
    I have had this built up for about a week now, but just got the pic's. Due to all the ice and cold, have only had it outside on one occassion, and that before I got things dialed in. So I do not yet have any comparisons on '05 vs. '04. Really love the color and graphics. I've owned numerous Fishers... some in spite of the graphics and color combinations. Gary really nailed it on this one!!! Build spec's are as follows:

Frame Size: XL
    Fork: Reba Race, 80mm
    Cranks / Bottom Brkt: XTR, 180mm
    Pedals: Egg Beaters
    Front Der.: LX
    Rear Der.: SRAM X.9
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Triggers
    Cassette: XTR
    Chain: SRAM PC99
    Wheelset: Bontrager Race
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7's
    Handlebar: Bontrager RaceLite Flat
    Bar Ends: Titec Carbon, wrapped w/ Hockey Stick Tape
    Stem: Bontrager RaceLite, 90mm x 7 degree
    Saddle: WTB Lazer V Stealth
    Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST
    26.2 lbs., as pictured

Future upgrades:
    Seatpost: Moots Ti
    Headset: King - Red Ano.

I have last year's SuperCal for sale, to help my pay for this new ride. Please check out the Mtbr classifieds, if you're needing a used XL in excellent condition.

Happy Trails,
    Jim C.

Hey all, this is my first post. I've been reading around these forums for a while, but never took the time to register. I'm a devout roadie who is interested in getting into some mountain biking. I race collegiate season for road and compete in triathlons as well. I work in a shop during the summer as a mechanic and doing some sales here and there. http://www.thebikeline.com if you're interested . Anyways, I have a thing for 29ers and will most likely get a Fisher, because my shop carries them. Another option we have is Seven, but they're quite expensive as you all know. I like the Fisher Paragon a lot. My one big question, however, is this: can you get it as just a frameset? I haven't called up Fisher yet, but from what I understand they are not offering it as such. I am a big gear nut, and very specific about my parts, so I really prefer to get frames and build components (my road bikes are a Trek Madone and a Cervelo P3, both with Campy Chorus).

My plan at this point is to go almost all components from the Sram/Truvativ/Avid/RockShox family. (And some Chris King in there)

Handlebar: Truvativ Team Flatbar (aluminum)
    Stem: Truvativ Team
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo Team
    BB: Truvativ Giga Pipe Team Ti
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Seven
    Fork: RockShox Reba 29"
    Wheels: Chris King hubs/rims undecided/DT Supercomp 1.8/1.7/2.0 spokes/brass nips
    Headset: Chris King
    Pedals: Eggbeaters
    Saddle: TBD

I plan on racing some over the summer and probably do some collegiate XC next fall. At this point, I'm definitely more serious about road/triathlons, so mountain is more of a fun thing... we'll see how serious it gets.

So sorry for making such a long post. Anyone know about the possibility of a Fisher frameset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Almost forgot...
    Shifters: X-9 trigger
    Rear derailleur: X-9
    Front derailleur: X Generation
    Chain: Sram PC 99
    Cassette: Probably IRD 12-28 (very similar gearing to a 26" bike with an 11-27) Does anyone know of a custom cassette maker? I know Harris Cyclery offers some pre-determined customs. Does anybody do "full customs"? i.e. I can pick every single cog?

Recovering couch patato
    Hey Greg, welcome!

Do call Fisher. Most years, they offered some sort of a frame or frameset, often under the SuperCal name.
    If they for some reason decide they don't want to sell you a frame only, despite the obvious good promo you'll do with it, just get one at your (I hope) employee purchase price, and part of wheels and brakes and such outside the state, so it at least won't hurt your employer's business.

As Fisher and please do let us know!

Must say I totally like the looks of that Paragon, congrats Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by gregk
    Hey all, this is my first post. I've been reading around these forums for a while, but never took the time to register. I'm a devout roadie who is interested in getting into some mountain biking. I race collegiate season for road and compete in triathlons as well. I work in a shop during the summer as a mechanic and doing some sales here and there. http://www.thebikeline.com if you're interested . Anyways, I have a thing for 29ers and will most likely get a Fisher, because my shop carries them. Another option we have is Seven, but they're quite expensive as you all know. I like the Fisher Paragon a lot. My one big question, however, is this: can you get it as just a frameset? I haven't called up Fisher yet, but from what I understand they are not offering it as such. I am a big gear nut, and very specific about my parts, so I really prefer to get frames and build components (my road bikes are a Trek Madone and a Cervelo P3, both with Campy Chorus).

My plan at this point is to go almost all components from the Sram/Truvativ/Avid/RockShox family. (And some Chris King in there)

Handlebar: Truvativ Team Flatbar (aluminum)
    Stem: Truvativ Team
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo Team
    BB: Truvativ Giga Pipe Team Ti
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Seven
    Fork: RockShox Reba 29"
    Wheels: Chris King hubs/rims undecided/DT Supercomp 1.8/1.7/2.0 spokes/brass nips
    Headset: Chris King
    Pedals: Eggbeaters
    Saddle: TBD

I plan on racing some over the summer and probably do some collegiate XC next fall. At this point, I'm definitely more serious about road/triathlons, so mountain is more of a fun thing... we'll see how serious it gets.

So sorry for making such a long post. Anyone know about the possibility of a Fisher frameset?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No 29er framesets for 05. Already called.
    s

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks for the informative first post, though it's sad news for some.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Framesets

Last time I checked, there were some 2002 17.5" framesets still available.

C-Hog
    Jan 2004

Frame / Fork Sets may be available afterall...

Quote Originally Posted by sheilar
    No 29er framesets for 05. Already called.
    s
    I was just in to visit with the guys at The Trek Store in Shawnee, Kansas. (Kansas City area.) Dan, the owner, mentioned they had worked out a deal with Trek to purchase X-Caliber frames / forks. I have no idea on cost, nor on an availability date. But you might want to give them a call at 913-631-6800. They are great guys to work with.

Good luck,
    Jim C.

ps: I have no association with this shop, other than I pop in there once in awhile. I actually race for another shop in another town. But they are still good folks, and will treat you right.