mtbr member
    Jun 2014

My Gravity 29 Point 4

Dear all,

After a few rides I wanted to share with you about my new toy.

I am new to Mountain Biking but since I live in Tahoe many people told me I should definitely give it a try. So I bought a used 2001 Giant Recon SE (26"), rebuilt the bearings, did a tune-up and this enjoyed last year's season. This bike was obviously too small for me (21" frame but I am 6'2" with long torso) but it did the job and brought me tons of fun.

So early this year I was ready to pull the trigger on a more serious bike, although with my limited budget (initial was $400-500 max) I mostly considered used. After a few months seeing nothing my size at bike shops or on CL I started to consider buying new and extend the budget. My first consideration was the Airborne Guardian, but then I saw that Bikesdirect had lowered the price on this Gravity 29Point4.

I know that Guardian would probably have offered a better frame (and I really liked the deco of their bikes too!!) but considering the better components for less money (the Guardian was $700 plus taxes plus shipping) I went for the Gravity at $700 with no taxes nor shipping.

Here are the specs:
    Frame: decent enough for me
    Fork: Rock Shox Recon 29 Silver 100mm + Lockout + TK
    Crankset: FSA Comet 22Tx32Tx42T
    Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaEXO Sealed external bearing, 68mm
    Pedals: standard
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore SLX
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 long cage for 30 Speed
    Shifters: SRAM X7, 30 speed
    Cassette: 11-36t 10 speed
    Chain: KMC DX10
    Rims: WTB SPEED DISC 29x32H, Black anodized Aluminum
    Tires: WTB PROWLER SL RACE, 29x2.1
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 3, 185mm Rotor front and rear
    Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 3
    Headset: CaneCreek VP-A42E Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8in
    Handlebar: Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6, 610MM x 31.8mm
    Stem: Threadless 110mm x 10 degrees
    Saddle: WTB SpeedV
    Seat Post: Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm x 400mm
    Seat Post Clamp: Super Light Alloy with Quick Release
    Size: 21"
    Color: White

When I received the bike, I assembled it within an hour, did the tune-up then tested it around the block. I was very happy with the size!

The only thing I didn't like was it was very... white!
    So I started to think about how to add some decoration.
    Quickly realized there are no good sticker kits for sale...

Plus the bike had originally lots of decals that didn't add anything to the design. So basically impossible to remove.

Then I discovered a website that could print custom high quality vinyl!
    So I started to measure my frame and design a sticker kit.
    After printing on paper and doing some adjustments I finally sent it for printing and put the stickers on my bike.
    Very happy with the result

After the first couple rides I noticed that the handlebar was a little short to my liking, and was a little low too. So I bought a new handlebar and replaced the stem with one that was half the weight without breaking the bank (2012 model, cheap).

And now I am very happy with my bike!
    It is lightweight, shifts great, climbs great, has powerful brakes (with good feeling) and I love the clearance a 29er offers.

My buddy's got a 2013 Giant XTC 29er 2 he bought used from a rental shop, and honestly our bikes are very similar in weight and performace. He's got some more fancy stuff like the through front wheel axle or tapered steering column, but he paid $900 used.

Here are some pictures (none show the new handlebar and stem):

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3621.jpg

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3625.jpg

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3626.jpg

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3627.jpg

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3629.jpg

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3632.jpg

My Gravity 29 Point 4-dsc_3636.jpg

Frickle Frack
    Welcome to MTBR and a great looking bike, but there is order on the forum and there is a thread specifically for this post.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/po...er-341544.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice bike review and the separate post is fine. The decal info is worth it alone.
    Do you have a link.

That rep in rows isn't real. It's an avatar.

mtbr member
    That's funny, I have a 29.3 and I needed a wider handlebar as well. One ride and I grabbed the tape measure for comparison. Nice job on the decals, and consider some new pedals and shoes.

mtbr member
    The decals look great! They look very familiar!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The decals look great! They look very familiar!
    Haha, thank you Jeremy! Well I'm not trying to hide it. Airborne did a really great job on the decals! I just copied it... I would have loved to own one of their bike. Probably later

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888
    That rep in rows isn't real. It's an avatar.
    Sorry I didn't get it. What do you mean?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Nice bike review and the separate post is fine. The decal info is worth it alone.
    Do you have a link.
    The website I used for the vinyl stickers is Vinyl Lettering | Custom Vinyl Lettering.
    Their staff is great, always willing to help.
    Their offer high quality 3M Premium vinyl, which offers a 7-year outdoor warranty.
    I have no business with them other than this experience, but I can only recommend them.

I must say that after only 2 rides I can see some tiny scruffs appear on the stickers already. No big deal it will get more (I didn't buy this bike just to take pictures or let it sit in the garage) but just to say it's not as scratch-resistant as decals + clear coat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    That's funny, I have a 29.3 and I needed a wider handlebar as well. One ride and I grabbed the tape measure for comparison.
    I forgot to give the details about the handlebar and stem (it's in my profile\bike setup):
    - Handlebar Truvativ Hussefelt white 680mm, 400m riser
    - Stem Easton EA90 white 2012, 100mm, 10deg

I love the satin powdercoat finish of the stem!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    One more thing, I weighted the bike with the mods above and it sits at 13.7kg / 30.1lbs (frame Large).

I find the weight perfect, although definitely front heavy (typical of hardtails?). Overall my experience has been great with this bike, gears are very snappy and precise, no play in any bearings, still rides as smooth as day one. Maybe the wheels (or hubs?) get a bit noisy at times, but the spokes don't seem lose or uneven so not sure what this is due to.

I recently found myself wanting to replace it with a 27.5" full suspension.
    I used to live in Tahoe and 29" helped clear big rocks on the trails. Where I am now I don't need that much clearance anymore.

Also I wish I got one size down on the frame, because the wheelbase + front heavy + probably lack of technique makes it really poor for jumping, unless you get a lot of speed, and I don't want to get there.
    Still the long top tube is great for pavement riding... I guess you can't have it all.

My hope is that a 27.5" FS will be more balanced front/rear weight and the rear suspension will help get more control on fast/rough terrain.