Is my Frame too small?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Is my Frame too small?

Hey guys,

First of all it is my first post! I scavenge this forum enough, so decided to join.

I just bought a Trek Fuel EX 7 29er (2015) with the 15.5 inch frame because I got a deal on it I could not pass up.

I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam, 145lbs. I previously rode a Giant Talon 4 2016 small.

I have not gotten to ride the bike too much, but it just visually looks pretty small. I do not feel to awfully cramped on it, but I just read that Trek's 15.5 frame is for people up to 5'3". It has the factory 90mm stem and factory post. The post is not out all the way, but I do not have exact measurements. Also, I just got home from work so don't mind the non-mtb clothing XD

Just wondering as I have a few upgrades in mind for this bike, but am hesitant due to the frame sizing. If it turns out to be too small I will be selling it (after I get the rear shock rebuilt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is my Frame too small?-20190821_123000.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Frame size is subjective and subject to preference. I'm 5'5" and I find the 15.5" Trek Fuel EX to be way too small. I can hardly stand over the 17.5" but the reach is too short on the 15.5" for me. Trek is actually the only "small" size bike that doesn't fit me.

A 90mm stem on a trail mountain bike is pretty dated. I hope you got an unbelievable deal (aka, I hope you didn't pay more than about $600 for that bike).

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Frame size is subjective and subject to preference. I'm 5'5" and I find the 15.5" Trek Fuel EX to be way too small. I can hardly stand over the 17.5" but the reach is too short on the 15.5" for me. Trek is actually the only "small" size bike that doesn't fit me.

A 90mm stem on a trail mountain bike is pretty dated. I hope you got an unbelievable deal (aka, I hope you didn't pay more than about $600 for that bike).
    Yea I paid right around that actually. After a shock rebuild and some little touches I'll be in around 800 on it, which is right around market value so I should at least be able to get my money back out of it, worst case scenario.

Bikesexual
    Why not sell it as is? Save that $ for the right size bike?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Why not sell it as is? Save that $ for the right size bike?
    Well if the rear shock would hold any air at all, I would do that. But it bottoms out completely. I fear that many people would overlook it because they may or may not have the information on how to repair it.

mtbr member
    way too small imo. Sell it as is with the broken shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the advice guys! Sounds like I need a bigger frame Gonna suck being out of a bike for a few weeks

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Welp, ended up flipping a few things on the side for some profits and went a different direction. Me on my new Jeffsy AL Comp 29er. Already took it for a ride, a million times better. Is my Frame too small?-20190829_231420.jpg

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    That looks like a way better fit, congrats on the new bike.