My first build (drop bar MTB) will these parts go together?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

New question here. My first build (drop bar MTB) will these parts go together?

Not sure where a thread like this should go. Feel free to move or trash. Putting together my first build. Frameset and some other smaller parts are here, drivetrain and wheels are not.

Guess I need someone to say if the parts will work together or not before ordering. A little worried about mixing Shimano/SRAM, but Hollowtech II and cranks seems very easy to install (and they look good). Here we go...

Frame/fork
    2019 Cinelli Hobootleg Geo XL
    73mm BSA. Rear TA 12x148mm,M12x1,5 L167mm skewer. Front TA 15x100mm, M15x1,5 L125mm skewer.
    Headset, starnut, top cap, seatpost collar included.

Wheels
    Stan's No Tubes ZTR Arch MK3 29" / Novatec 791/792 wheelset
    15x100 front. Boost rear. Sapim Race spokes.

BB
    Shimano XT Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket BB-MT800

Crankset
    SLX 11-speed Crank Boost FC-M7000-B1 without Chainring 175mm

Chainring
    SLX 11-speed Chainring SM-CRM70 32T for FC-M7000-1

Brakes
    TRP Spyre Post mount with 160mm rotors

Brake levers
    TRP RRL

Brake cable housing
    Jagwire CGX-SL 3m Brake Outer Housing

Brake cable
    Jagwire Brake Cable Stainless Steel for Shimano/SRAM Road

Shifter
    SRAM SL-500 aero shifter
    Will be used on On-One Midge barend.

Derailleur
    Sram Unisex's Apex1 Rear Derailleur Long Cage 11-Speed Black

Cassette
    Sunrace Cassette CSMX8 EAZ 11-speed 11-46 black
    SRAM states that 11-42 is max, but from what I've read that could be because they didn't/don't sell an 11-46 and the Sunrace should work.

Shifter cable and housing
    Just something

Chain
    SRAM PC-1110

Tires
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.1"
    Both front and rear. Got them for real cheap with tubes included.

Seatpost
    Gusset Lofty

Saddle
    Selle Italia Epoca

Handlebar
    On-One Midge

Stem
    Velo Orange Cigne

Handlebar tape
    Selcof Cork Plus

C-clips
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...-pieces-536584

Bottom bracket tool (have torque wrench)
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...tech-ii-523714

Crank arm tool
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...wtech-ii-26123
    Last edited by mikael_on_wheels; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I didn't spend a ton of time reviewing the parts kit, but you don't need the Cigne stem since the bike is drop bar geometry, so a normal stem will be fine. Everything else looks ok.

mtbr member
    Haven't looked at everything in detail but nothing stands out as being incompatible. Agree stem choice is unusual. For cable discs, I recommend going with compressionless housing, like Jagwire Pro or Yokozuna. It really firms up the lever. The Jagwire Pro kit includes polished cables which makes the lever action really smooth. Between the housing and cable it feels nearly like hydros. It is stiffer so a bit more difficult to work with.

The 42t limit on the RD is a design limit based on the ability of the upper cog to clear the largest cog, and chain wrap capacity. There is some design margin in these to cover the usual range of variation between different frames so you can sometimes exceed the limit, but it can depend on the specific situation. You need to verify both cog clearance and chain wrap limitations.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Haven't looked at everything in detail but nothing stands out as being incompatible. Agree stem choice is unusual. For cable discs, I recommend going with compressionless housing, like Jagwire Pro or Yokozuna. It really firms up the lever. The Jagwire Pro kit includes polished cables which makes the lever action really smooth. Between the housing and cable it feels nearly like hydros. It is stiffer so a bit more difficult to work with.
    Thanks! I might go for compressionless. Although I'm really happy with the Spyres on another bike of mine I wouldn't mind some more stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The 42t limit on the RD is a design limit based on the ability of the upper cog to clear the largest cog, and chain wrap capacity. There is some design margin in these to cover the usual range of variation between different frames so you can sometimes exceed the limit, but it can depend on the specific situation. You need to verify both cog clearance and chain wrap limitations.
    Thanks! I'll go with the 11-42 SRAM PG-1130 to reduce potential hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I didn't spend a ton of time reviewing the parts kit, but you don't need the Cigne stem since the bike is drop bar geometry, so a normal stem will be fine. Everything else looks ok.
    Thanks! I'll blame my inseam. Trying to get the drops level with the saddle top. According to my calculations, I'm not even getting close if I don't use the Cigne or Humpert High Charisma.

mtbr member
    Personal experience: Spyre is a great caliper. The pads suck but they work. Replace them with Shimano pads of the same shape when you get a chance.

Also, the brakes are pretty crappy with anything other than compression less housing.

You should not need an oddball stem. Length, angle, and height should be sufficiently adjustable with a more standard stem on that bike. It has a very tall stack height. Unless you have absolutely freakish dimensions of a circus sideshow performer or a diagnosed debilitating spine injury, the tall stem should not be needed, even with a true dirt drop bar. Up to you in the end though, just a thought. Saddle to bar height is a bit of a red herring. I would look at that carefully.