My first 29er, first singlespeed, first rigid- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

My first 29er, first singlespeed, first rigid

Got myself a 2012 Kona Unit. This is my first 29er, my first sinlespeed since I was 12, and my first fully rigid bike. She is all stock for now, but plan on upgrading brakes to hydros, better gear ratio, and maybe grips.After the first ride, I love this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first 29er, first singlespeed, first rigid-bamberg-042.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice. Congrats. Test rode one myself a short time ago. Decided to hold off for now but I can still see one in my future.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Congrats on the new ride! It looks like a fun bike.

Single Speed Junkie
    Why upgrade right off the bat. You have a sweet bike there enjoy it. As parts wear out then perhaps upgrade.

EXORCIZE

SS a religious experience?

Very nice. Enjoy it. I'm really happy with my '11.

Are your cables tangled?

Btw, is that a mosque and church next to each other?

Master of the Obvious
    Great choice, the Unit packs a lot of Value and fun! Enjoy riding through the Districts of Panem!
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Keep the BB7's man, they are great brakes IMHO. I've tried several others but have always gone back. Nice to see another full rigid, luvin' that Unit!

I like turtles
    I was riding a similar bike until a few months ago (Monocog), keep the 7s, they are great brakes and keep with the "simple is better" thing you have going on with the rigid SS.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Nice Ride!!
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

Expert Crasher
    +3 on keeping the BB7s. They are great with the single digit levers you have, do a little research on proper setup and ensure you allow some time for the pads to bed in. When I put new pads on mine, I'll go do a bunch of hard stops on the street until they are fully ready. Only takes a few minutes. Nice ride though. Where are you in Europe?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've never had more fun than on my rigid SS 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the tip on the brakes. I will defer to all the experience here and not upgrade them right away. The cables aren't tangled, the pic does make them look that way though. in the background is Schloss Seehoff, build in 1687. It was the summer residence of the Bamberg Prince-Bishops. Now it is conservation offices, carp farm and hatchery and banquet hall for rent. I am stationed in Germany. One of the reasons I upgraded my bike is to do some sightseeing, loads of history, my bike and I are going to see a lot!

Never trust a fart
    I have a 2011 Unit. Love the bike. I swapped out the Single Digit levers for some Speed Dial 7's I had lying around. Allows for better brake adjustability. I also installed a carbon riser handlebar (fit reasons) and a pair of No Tube Crests with Chris King hubs so I could go tubeless.

The wheels were the best thing. Lost almost 1.5 lbs in weight. And since that is rotational weight, its a huge difference.

Dog Slow
    I am into my fourth season in on my BB7s and wouldn't change them, I have two other bikes with hydros and they are a lot more work to maintain and adjust. And I will second the wheel upgrade as the first stop when upgrading, keep the stock wheels as spares or winter wheels.

Dog Slow
    Actually, maybe a set of clipless pedals should be the first thing you change as i see platforms on here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wheels are a good idea, a little bit of weight loss goes a long way!. I have clipless on my full, I may have to swap pedals on the two bikes, I was considering it, but wanted to get a few rides in while it was still stock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice bike, I have really been considering one as well.
    What is the stock weight?

mtbr member
    I really like the color but make sure you have a good lock, it kind of screams, "Steal me!!"

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Nice bike, I have really been considering one as well.
    What is the stock weight?

Stock weight (mine is a 19") is 26 lbs, 3 oz. with pedals. With the addition of wheels, carbon riser bar and different tires, it's down to 24 lbs, 13 oz.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    I really like the color but make sure you have a good lock, it kind of screams, "Steal me!!"

Living in Germany I have seen Scott Carbon road bikes locked up with a cheap Walmart lock. Crime where I am is almost non-existent. I saw a guy over the weekend lock his Cannondale bike up by putting a chain lock on around the back tire and through the frame, THATS ALL. Not anchored to anything, no U-lock, nothing, and that's the NORMAL thing to do over here. I personally do lock up my bike, not like I did in the States, but I do more than most here. I couldn't believe how they lock up their bikes here.

EXORCIZE
    My 20" '11 Unit frame is 5.66 lbs.

mtbr member
    I'd have to agree with those who say keep the BB7s, they're sweet mech discs that's for sure. If you're itching to spend some money upgrading look elsewhere, but personally I'd ride the crap out of it for a few months and see if you find any weak link in the components. BTW, nice bike, dig the orange
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Singleton
    congrats! lovely ride!

Birthday Collector
    Congrats! Five years ago I also did my first 29"/SS/Rigid combo. (had rigid before, but not 29" or SS) I've never looked back. I also am a fan of the BB7, and with some careful cable selection and set-up, you can get them to work as well as hydros and be way more field-serviceable if they should ever need it. Have a blast and enjoy Europe. We should be able to lock our bikes up like that over here and not worry about them - maybe some day... As far as changes go - gearing if the terrain calls for it, and grips if you don't like the ones on the bike - otherwise, that bike is a great set-up for the price.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Members who have read this thread: 0