My 1st real bike!! HELP!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

My 1st real bike!! HELP!!!!!

Well here we go. I'm looking at a Specialized Stump Jumper Hard Tail Comp 29er. The Stump Jumper I can get it for $1650.00 out the door. The other bike I was looking at is the Niner with the same parts as the Stump Jumper price over 2K. I have a Specialized now it's about 15 years old with a lot of newer parts. I don't want to spend over 2K on a bike wife will kill me if I do! I have not bin on my bike in a number of years so I want to get back into It me and my son that's another bike I have to buy also. Just wanted to know what people think about the 29er bikes. I do want a hard tail. Any other brands that are good or better then the 2 above? My info 5ft 8in @ 225lbs. Need good rims and hubs with all that weight lolol. It would be nice to buy my son's and mine bike for $2,200 OR LESS. For him I was thinking about a Specialized Hard Rock Disc 29er he is 10 years old. Or a Jameis bike. Give me some info on both if you guy can that will be cool. Thanks for all your time.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Have you done much research as there is no need to spend over $2K on hardtail to get a good bike these days.

As far as asking about 29er bikes in a 29er forum, clearly we are all going to say we love them. I personally think they are the future.

Specialized make good bikes along with Jamis. The Niner you are most likely paying for a nicer, possibly steel (hard to know without the model) slighty more boutique frame.

There are some ok deals here on 29ers for you and your son:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1200-29Er.aspx

and try here if you are not stressed about names on frames, but they have good spec for the money:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

I'm running a 2009 Kona Big Kahuna with a solid spec and got it for less than $1500.

You will be able to get the bikes under budget but I think you need to do a bit more searching and visit a few shops. Ask about older models.

Make sure when you find a bike you like to search it on here as most likely there will be a very helpful thread about it.

Good luck!

Tattooed Scumbag
    If you are looking for a deal on a nice 29er with a solid build check this out...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/198...-29er-Bike.htm
    If you don't live for something,
    You will die for NOTHING!!

turtles make me hot
    I'm getting the Stumpjumper hardtail to go along with my FSR. I think 1650 is full price. If you're gonna buy two bikes, they should do better than that.
    I weigh 255 and I'm riding an 08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er. I had to change all the spoke nipples in the rear wheel to brass, but that's the only change I made to support my weight.
    I'm in a similar situation with the old lady, but I also want quality stuff. I know I'm gonna ride my bikes for many years to come, so I work OT and get what I want. The Stumpy will probably be the last bike you ever need.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Love the Stumpy 29er

I just built up my Stumpy 29er Single speed, and having ridden/raced 29ers for nearly five years now, I'd say that Specialized got the geometry dialed in!

the Specialized engineers have really worked alot on the frame design for the newer 29ers. I know that they were late coming to the game, but they play hard. the M5 aluminum is able to be heavily shaped, making the chain stays rather short, and sucking the rear wheel into the seat tube. Another cool feature of all the specialized 29ers is the bent seattube. at the bottom they bend the seat tube to correct the front deraileur's position. Personally I don't run front deraileurs, but the fact that they took a look at that and accounted for it I feel is a testament to the thoroughness of the engineering on this bike.

I've ridden Fisher, Badger(oops), Surly, redline, niner, and haro frames. My friend just build up a Niner SIR9, and I was very impressed. You are always going to pay more when building a bike, so my advice: BUY THE SPECIALIZED AND GO RIDE!

-Tyler

mtbr member
    I have an '09 Stumpjumper Comp hardtail that I converted to SS. I love this bike. I'm 5' 9" weighing 230 lbs and I had a custom wheelset built because I worried about the stock wheelset holding up.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandfish9903
    For him I was thinking about a Specialized Hard Rock Disc 29er he is 10 years old.
    I can't see a 10 year old fitting on a 29er at all.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Yeah he's gotta be a lanky ten year old to fit well on a twenty niner, might want to look at a two sixer for him unless he's 5'7 ish or better

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Your right about the 29er for my son he is not tall.I think like you said the 26 inch bike will fit him better. Well all day I have bin looking at bikes Kona,GF,Trek,Cannondale,Santa Cruz and Niner. I know I want a hard tail bike. I know I said that I wanted to stay around 2k. I'm the type of person when I do something I try to get the best that will fit my wallet. So with that being said I'm going over the 2k. This bike will last me a very long time and many miles of riding. I'm having a small bike shop who has bin around for a number of years make me up a Niner. Once I get the list of parts for the Niner I will post them I would like some feedback about the parts. Thank again I will have the list posted by Wednesday in the AM. Hope to hear some feedback. Thanks!!!

Virtus pre nummis
    I was just wondering why you need any advice since you obviously already had your mind made up? I guess you didn't consider the 26er that you rode for 15 years a "real" bike? Do you think that the 26er that you currently own, not being a "real" bike, not good enough for your son to ride? My being the old foggy that I am, I guess I really don't understand your way of thinking? Good luck on your "real" bike! IMHOLOL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well Blazerwolf what i mean by REAL bike is my 1st bike I paid $100 for it 15 years ago and it was a very used Hardrock. To me now $100 is not alot of money. So I think a 2k bike is a real bike 2k is alot. The fram size on the Hardrock is a large to big for me and for sure to big for my son. Thats why my son will not ride that bike. No it was not obvious that I knew what i was getting. I wanted to get people's input about the bikes that i listed.I did more homework and I found that I liked the Niner because you can build it the way you want it. Sure it cost more money but I'm older now and have a good job and make good money so yes this is my 1st REAL bike to me. Thanks

Virtus pre nummis
    My apologies! The way you made that post sound really made me step back and wonder since none of what you just said was explained. Even so I would wonder why you would spend so much money on a bike if you didn't know if you would like it before you had checked it out first.

Before I bought my new bike (Redline Monocog 29er) I bought several cheap bikes from Craigslist and rode them to see what I needed before I jumped in and bought the new bike. After not being an a bicycle for 47 years and weighing 280lbs. I needed to find out what type of bicycle could not only support me but how much did I need to know before I could ride it. First off I had never been on a geared bicycle. After the first CL bike I decided that I needed to stick to a single speed. That was the only kind of bike I had ever ridden. I just could not figure out how to use all those gears. Second I found that a 26" bike was just to small for me. My knees would bash into the handle bars. My toes seemed to always bump into the front wheel and when I sat upon the bike it just seemed to squish down on the tires. I was just too big for that bike.

After going through two or three bikes I decided to go to my LBS and talk about options. Then I rode a bunch of different bikes. Cannondale, Kona, Haro, Specialized and so on until I came to the Redline. The big bike held my weight, the frame had a nice long wheelbase and I felf comfortable on the bike. I liked the way the Kona looked but the wheel base was too short. The specialized cost was more than I wanted to spend. etc. etc. etc.

So just a word of advise, money may not be a problem to you but its not just about cost when it comes to buying the right kind of bike, and just think about what you said about buying two bikes one for you and one for your son. Its that you were only thinking about your needs and not about your son's needs. You didn't mind spending $2 k on yourself but was only going to spend another $200 on your sons bike! Don't you think that you need to think about what is the investment in his bicycle worth? Just buy him a cheap bike because he is going to outgrow it anyway or he's just a kid and will just tear it up?

Might be a good idea to teach him the value of being a good cyclist! Respect for his bike and how to maintain it and so on! Well that is enough from an old codger like me. I certianly hope you get the right bike and hope you enjoy riding what you do buy. I can only say that I feel that my bike my well have saved my life! I have lost over 60lbs in the last 8 months and my heath has greatly improved and I really enjoy spending an hour each day riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all your info. I found it very helpfull. Your right my son will out grow his bike in no time but my daughter will be able to ride it when my so gets to big.My wife and I teach our kids you take care of your things. From what I have bin seeing it's going to cost about $400.00 for his bike disc brakes front shock etc. looking at a Jamis for him. Like you said I do want him to have a good bike. I think that $400.00 for his is good 2 years from now he will need another bike. Thanks for your reply

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is what the bike shop came up with. Any input on the part? Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks.

Niner Air 9 Build:
    Parts List
    * BK9610 - DreamCycle Mountain XC Disc Bike Build
    * FM1132 - NINER Air 9 frame for DreamCycle
    * ST0920 - Problem Solvers 35.0mm Seatpost Clamp Silver
    * FK0463C - 2009 Fox F29 100RLC 100mm Fork Blk/Wht
    * CR6181 - Shimano SLX M660 175mm Crankset 22-32-44t with Bottom Brackets
    * RD4633 - SRAM 2010 X.9 Rear Long Cage Derailleur Silver
    * FD4606 - SRAM X.7 Front Dual-pull Front Derailleur, LoClamp 31.8/34.9 Black
    * FW6153 - SRAM PG-970 11-34 9-Speed Cassette
    * CH1083 - SRAM PC-971 9-Speed Silver/Gray Chain with Powerlink
    * BR2270 - Avid Elixir 5 Front Disc 160mm Rotor White with Silver Lever Blade
    * BR2271 - Avid Elixir 5 Rear Disc 160mm Rotor White with Silver Lever Blade
    * LD4600 - SRAM X.9 9-Speed Trigger Shifter Set
    * WE2918 - Handspun Front 700c Deore XT Disc M756 Black 32h, WTB LaserDisc Trail Black, 2.0-1.8db Black, Br, 3x
    * WE2919 - Handspun Rear 700c Deore XT Disc M756 Black 32h, WTB LaserDisc Trail Black, 2.0-1.8db Black, Br, 3x
    * HD2234 - Cane Creek S-1 1-1/8" Black Threadless Headset
    * ST7536 - Thomson 31.6 x 410mm Setback Black
    * HB3204 - Ritchey Comp 5degree Flat Bar 31.8mm 580mm Black
    * HT3211 - Ritchey TG6 Dual Density Grips Black/Gray
    * SM4822 - Ritchey Comp 31.8mm 110mm 84/96d Black Stem
    * SA1539 - WTB Speed V Comp Black Saddle Steel Rail
    * TR9382 - Continental Mountain King 29x 2.2" Black Folding
    * TR9382 - Continental Mountain King 29x 2.2" Black Folding
    * TU6896 - Q-Tubes 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube 220g
    * TU6896 - Q-Tubes 29" x 1.9-2.3" 32mm PV tube 220g

Virtus pre nummis
    What does all that cost?

Virtus pre nummis
    The Redline D660
    A race-ready 29’er with Redline’s high-end R6 double butted aluminum tubing, and a bump absorbing Rock Shox Reba fork. Our best 29’er comes with wide range SRAM 9 speed gearing and quick stopping Avid disc brakes. Whether you race, tour, or commute, the D660 is ready to take you there quickly, with very little effort.

Frame R6 Alloy DB Forged Dropouts-Chainstay Yoke.135mm spacing
    Fork Rock Shox Reba SL 100 mm
    Headset Threadless 28.6mm
    Frt Der N/A (31.8mm)
    Rear Der SRAM X .9
    Shifter SRAM X .9
    Crank Truvative Stylo w Guard 34T
    BB Set ISIS alloy cups 68 x 108mm
    Cogs PG 950 12-32 9 sp
    Pedals N/A
    Rim WTB Laser Disc 32H
    Hub RL SB QR DISC
    Spoke 13/14 Stainless DB
    Tire Maxis Ignitor 29 X 2.1
    Bar Ritchey Riser Pro 31.8mm center
    Stem Ritchey Pro
    Saddle WTB Rocket V
    Seat Post Ritchey Pro 27.2 x 400mm
    Brake Avid BB 7 Disc
    Brake Lever Avid FR 5

Total Cost is about $1300.00 or $1400.00
    Here is a thread about this bike on this forum
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=388343

Just wanted to give you something to compare with!

Members who have read this thread: 0