Mud and missing stuff...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mud and missing stuff...

The aftermath of todays ride...all I can do is laugh .

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    i can see how your crank arm fell off, stuff happens, yeah. but how do your gears just fall off? and your der's and your shifters? you got some crazy mud, man.

mtbr member
    In that case I guess I should thank the mud .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    broken or just not tightened and fell off?

I'm just messing with you
    You've got my sympathy ... 3rd ride on my Spot and the crank arm came off. Luckily I was riding flat pavement on the way to the trail head, but not so lucky because I couldn't find the bolt that fell out and let the arm come loose.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Yeah I lost my bolt too. I thought my pedal was messing up about 8-9 miles into the ride, then I looked down and was like "oh crap". My multitool didn't have a big enough allen so I couldn't tighten, I got out off the trail and rode on the road with just my right leg and it fell off going uphill, haha.

is buachail foighneach me
    looks somewhat familiar....

original bontrager left arm loosenned itself up and came off. bolt dissappeared in the mud. last set of isis cranks i've owned, as every previous one had nearly done the same.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooty
    Yeah I lost my bolt too. I thought my pedal was messing up about 8-9 miles into the ride, then I looked down and was like "oh crap". My multitool didn't have a big enough allen so I couldn't tighten, I got out off the trail and rode on the road with just my right leg and it fell off going uphill, haha.
    We had a guy with a loose crank arm bolt - 10mm socket head. We came up with three 5mm allen wrenches between the lot of us and were able to tighten it.

Of course, I know this will never happen to you again.

-F

Currently in Exile
    Good luck ever getting that crankarm to stay on again.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    That's just a crappy square taper BB that came with the bike, now I have an excuse to buy new stuff, thing was creaking like a demon any ways.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooty
    That's just a crappy square taper BB that came with the bike, now I have an excuse to buy new stuff, thing was creaking like a demon any ways.
    It was probably creaking, because it was loose... you should always do a preflight checklist, make sure stuff is tight every now and then...

is buachail foighneach me
    if it's square taper, and you mushroomed the crank a little, it can be fixed. i had done it once or twice back when i ran square taper, and my solution, which worked and was permanent, was to roll up little pieces of aluminum foil(like, from your kitchen), line em up in the bore, and tighten the crank down. it effectively 'cold forges' them into it.

MTB Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    You've got my sympathy ... 3rd ride on my Spot and the crank arm came off. Luckily I was riding flat pavement on the way to the trail head, but not so lucky because I couldn't find the bolt that fell out and let the arm come loose.
    But oh so unlucky as if it's square taper, it's trashed.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    But oh so unlucky as if it's square taper, it's trashed.
    Nope, external bearing

Will apply plenty of Loctite and torque properly when the replacement bolt shows up (hoping for today or tomorrow). It's my own damn fault (h/t Jimmy Buffett) since I didn't check it when I got the bike.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Members who have read this thread: 0