Was, ......MSRP- Mtbr.com

Thread: Was, ......MSRP

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Was, ......MSRP

First, DONT HIJCACK THIS THREAD. I don't need to hear about Walmart or comparing LBS's to online retailers. We're talking small biz to small biz.

This all started when I decided to get a Paragon. MSRP is $1549.99.
    I contacted a shop which is considered a gold sponser for a club I belong to. They told me $1399 plus 5% off for my club discount. Hey pretty good. My LBS told me over the phone $1399. I figure I'll get it from my LBS evan if he doesn't give a club discount. BTW he's considered a silver sponser of our club.

I figure OK, no club discount. I try him for a cash discount. He punches some numbers into a calculator and says he can't do it cause GF won't let him sell it for less. This ticks me off a little. The other shop is already showing me that they can give discounts. I own a small business and I know he's probly paying 2-3% credit card fee's. And he knows I'm talking cash-currency, not a check. Because of the guilt trip most of you laid on me here I didn't push it, and ordered the bike from him, that, and in case of warranty issues.
    But when I go back to pick it up I will be paying the balance with my checkcard and won't feel so guilty when I order parts online.

The good news, IN 3 MONTHS I'M OFFICIALLY A 29" OWNER.

Tommy

My gloves stink

Hey Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    First, DONT HIJCACK THIS THREAD. I don't need to hear about Walmart or comparing LBS's to online retailers.
    Tommy
    Are you aware that your LBS's rollback of GF prices threatens to put Walmart out of business? I don't know how you sleep at night.
    Last edited by Appendage; 01-06-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: dfafsa

Bored

Price fixing

In Canada, it is illegal for manufactures/resellers to dictate what prices a product can be sold at. A manufacturer/distributor can only publish an MSRP. Retailers are free to sell the product at what ever price they choose. If the MFG/Dist does not comply, they can be charged and fined (possibly more). Does the same legislation not exist in the US, or other countries?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Biz

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    In Canada, it is illegal for manufactures/resellers to dictate what prices a product can be sold at. A manufacturer/distributor can only publish an MSRP. Retailers are free to sell the product at what ever price they choose. If the MFG/Dist does not comply, they can be charged and fined (possibly more). Does the same legislation not exist in the US, or other countries?

I don't think Trek/Fisher/Whoever has an legal recourse against a shop that sells for "too cheap", but I do know that a manufacturer can simply stop selling to a shop that violates the terms set forth in their dealer agreement (which may be some sort of binding contract, who knows?)

And liltommy, what size are you getting? Fisher has 17 and 19's in stock right now, so if it's one of those it'll be there a lot sooner than 3 months.
    Last edited by Biz; 01-06-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: I'm dumb

Derailleurless
    I don't know if it's worth the trouble, but bring cash to finalize the transaction, pull it out and inquire innocently one last time about a cash discount, and if you don't like the answer, tuck the cash back and whip out the Visa. Sometimes that works for me, sometimes no.

Remember, it can never hurt to ask.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    I don't know if it's worth the trouble, but bring cash to finalize the transaction, pull it out and inquire innocently one last time about a cash discount, and if you don't like the answer, tuck the cash back and whip out the Visa. Sometimes that works for me, sometimes no.

Remember, it can never hurt to ask.
    Or try to get some goodies thrown in with the purchase as a "parting gift". Seatpost, saddle, helmet, grips, pedals, bottle cage and bottle, Finish Line kit, jersey, light, etc... . Who knows - maybe he has the ability to throw one of those items in the deal even though he cannot lower the price of the bike itself.

I bought a Cannondale MT800 tandem from a LBS and was able to negotiate for clipless pedals, saddles and grips at the time simply by asking.

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Just had to get it in there.. didnt ya

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Are you aware that your LBS's rollback of GF prices threatens to put Walmart out of business? I don't know how you sleep at night.
    Thats OK. It bought a SMALL smile to my face.

Biz, Its a 21". I really gotta think about changing the username. It started out as a joke but nobodys getting it.

See ya

The Duuude, man...
    I think 10% is a decent deal from a LBS. I'm sure you'll get a year or lifetime service included, and others are right, definately push for a deal on other parts or accec's you might want to upgrade...pedals, stem, bar, post, HS would all be at the top of my list.
    FS: Everything

try driving your car less
    great! please post a pic and review when it arrives and you have ridden it.
    consider getting a 1% cash back credit card ($13 ooohhh...!). They are free from citibank.

at least get some 29er tubes when you pick it up. you can't find those everywhere.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

About the tubes?

While I was waiting for the paperwork, I asked him casually "Your'e not gonna have tubes for this thing, will ya?" He said yeah he carried them. I thought it kinda funny he couldnt find me a test ride and says people around here dont use them that might but he would carry tubes.

Is he just gonna sell me road tubes or something?

My gloves stink

A small smile is better than no smile...

Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    Thats OK. It bought a SMALL smile to my face.
    ...and I'm still getting a good chuckle out of it. I get a real kick out of myself. I have to, because if I don't, nobody else will.