Moving from 26 SS to 29 SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Moving from 26 SS to 29 SS

Current SS is a 26, it's been a great bike for the past nearly 4 years. Lately I've been considering the move to a 29er and also going rigid at the same time. Has anyone made the same move? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I loved my rigid 29er ss! I love it even more now that I put a suspension fork on it.
    Food for thought
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

trail rat
    Hundreds, probably thousands, maybe millions, have gone from 26" to 29", some geared, some SS. Browse or search here and in the SS forum. There are some radical holdouts of 26" SS there, but damn few.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    I went from a 26 SS HT to a 29 SS HT last year then progressed (some may say regressed!) to a rigid 29 SS this past spring. I have a SIR9 with Niner carbon fork and bars, Stans Flows with Hope hubs and Raven 2.2's, and XT 180 cranks with a 32x20 ratio. It's a truly capable machine for where I ride (Adirondacks) and most definitely my favorite bike over the past 20 years. The thing just rolls over everything. I still have to pick my lines on techy descents but it climbs exceptionally well and is a comfortable ride. Since you've been a SSer for four years, you'd be pleasantly and instantly pleased by the transition.

Check out the SS forum for more like minded individuals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can anyone share with me what is the big deal about 29er? pros? cons?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    29er stuff is all over the internet. Just do a little research and your bound to find out.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415 View Post
    29er stuff is all over the internet. Just do a little research and your bound to find out.
    I was hoping some folks HERE could/would share their experiences.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I found out that 29" have more rotating mass, they certainly aren't lighter, they have a higher center of gravity, are bigger, and designing a 29 inch bike with more than XC travel can pose some serious problems. Some will argue that because of the bigger wheels, not as much suspension is needed, but this only applies to certain circumstances and only to a certain level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karamela View Post
    I found out that 29" have more rotating mass, they certainly aren't lighter, they have a higher center of gravity, are bigger, and designing a 29 inch bike with more than XC travel can pose some serious problems. Some will argue that because of the bigger wheels, not as much suspension is needed, but this only applies to certain circumstances and only to a certain level.

Well there you go. You answered your own question in less than ten minutes. Now go ride a few and let us know what YOU think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx04 View Post
    He was answering the Karemela dude.

I got nothin'
    I made the transition this summer. I likely won't go back to 26" wheels now. I lost some of the playfulness of the 26" wheeled bike but I am now figuring out to make the 29er come alive with the big gyroscopes. I can climb stuff that I could not make on the 26er and it's more comfortable to ride.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member

I will gladly share my...

Experiences with you. I have been riding 29ers exclusively since 2005. In my humble opinion, no where are the advantages of 29in wheels more pronounced than when riding a ss rigid or ht bike. I own both. Riding ss is all about momentum and nothing maintains momentum like the big wheels. A nice set of wheels, run with some high volume tubeless tires (stans) will give you a ride smoother than any 26er ht ever dreamed possible. They also tend to grip better when cornering hard or climbing out of the saddle too, two other ss friendly traits.
    Many things that bounced you around on a 26er (roots, rocks, etc.) will not have the same impact on 29er wheels. It's not like having fs (thank God! I don't want my bike doing too much of the work)) but it does roll over and through things with much less momentum loss than 26in wheels. One advantage that is specific to me is the breaking power I get with old school v brakes on my 29ers. I think most people would be shocked to feel how well v's work on 29ers compared to 26in wheels. The difference is significant. I can lock up both wheels and have very good modulation as well without the weight or cost of disc brakes.
    There is more of course but I hope this helps.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    edouble, that's just the type of feedback I was hoping to read. I'm really close to ordering my frame and a few other items I'll need. Many of my existing parts will transition to a 29, a few will not. This will give me a chance to change a very things from what I've learned after 4 years on a 26 SS.

mtbr member
    edouble, that's just the type of feedback I was hoping to read. I'm really close to ordering my frame and a few other items I'll need. Many of my existing parts will transition to a 29, a few will not. This will give me a chance to change a very things from what I've learned after 4 years on a 26 SS.
    That's exactly what I did. New fork, tires and wheels and that's it. Everything else came from my 26ers. Another thing to take into serious consideration is geometry. Some companies favor steep angles and quicker handling while others lean towards slacker angles and slower, more stable handling. The slack angled bikes are very popular, but I like quickness and agility first and foremost. Choose what suites your preferences.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    That's exactly what I did. New fork, tires and wheels and that's it. Everything else came from my 26ers. Another thing to take into serious consideration is geometry. Some companies favor steep angles and quicker handling while others lean towards slacker angles and slower, more stable handling. The slack angled bikes are very popular, but I like quickness and agility first and foremost. Choose what suites your preferences.
    Since I'm likely staying in the Ventana family, I can get very close to the 70/72 angles I'm currently riding which suits my riding style quite well as I'm not a fan of sluggish handling. Thanks again for the input, it makes this process much easier.

Always Learning
    Current SS is a 26, it's been a great bike for the past nearly 4 years. Lately I've been considering the move to a 29er and also going rigid at the same time. Has anyone made the same move? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    I think if you comb the 29"er newbie thread (a fixed thread within the 29"er resource link on the right side of the forum), you'll find 7-8 years of experienced answers of all of us that have been through what you are asking.

It's not that nobody wants to answer your question, it's just that the answer has been typed thousands and thousands and thousands of times on this forum - hence, you get some curt responses now that we are almost in 2012 and the big wheels have been around for so long. One used to be able to search way, way back in these forums. However, that isn't the case anymore to be able to go back to 2003, 2004, 2005 threads. But many of us have been through exactly what you ask.

Rigid is fun for sure, but it beats you up big time - no matter what anybody says. You can try to disguise it with a lightweight fork, a carbon fork, fat tires run tubeless and at maximum squish. You can call yourself manly, or simple, or uncomplicated, or maintenance free or whatever you want to call yourself. But you're not going to be flying through singletrack pain and comfort free at the same speed as those with suspension front or those with a fully enjoying front and rear cushion.

My first 29"er purchase back in 2003 was the Surly Karate Monkey with a rigid fork. I came from a Trek 8000 XC race bike at the time - and loved the switch immediately. Quickly added a full suspension 29"er and a softail (Dos Niner) and have continued to add. These days, I reach for a full suspension 29"er first, before anything else. But I've still got my rigid, SS, Karate Monkey that I enjoy - despite the pain and slower speeds it affords. About the only thing I haven't tried is a SS full suspension bike, but I doubt that's in my future.

I'm 50 - so I want, demand, need, prefer, enjoy, desire, lust for full suspension, a nice gear range and a sweet ride at a fast speed with my 29"er. You may have to try the rigid, then eventual move to some sort of suspension for your 29"er loop. But, if it were me doing it all over again, I'd skip the rigid and SS stuff, the HT stuff, the softail stuff, and go right for the cornucopia - a full suspension 29"er.

BB

mtbr member
    sorry for the double post. Didnt realize it.
    Last edited by edouble; 10-18-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

poser Administrator
    I went from a 26er 6" travel AM/FR bike to a rigid 29er SS but I was also grabbing my SS 26er more and more because the FS bothered me, I picked frame size, components, pretty much everything poorly, plus it had a Progressive Shock on it which is the definition of suck.

The biggest eye opener for me was how my ability to continue up a loose technical climb increased with the 29er SS. I sometimes have more traction than legs. This was never the case with my 26er. I always ran out of traction before legs.

The 29er is different rigid, less jarring but still rigid. My 26er had a huge tubeless tire and my 29er has a huge tubeless tire. Mary bars made more of a difference for me than the platform change actually.

The big thing for most people is that when you go back you notice things about the previous platform that were never really obvious before. 26ers seem small, seem to corner faster, might seem twitchy or whatever and the 29er feels bigger, more stable etc. The fact of the matter is that if you have 4 years on a 26er the 29er will feel revolutionary and when you go back the 26er will feel weird but if you take your 26er out on trails and ride you will notice that it too does things better than the 29er. It may be lighter, feel better at jumping, faster to sprint or easier to get around switchbacks.

Frankly 29ers aren't the solution to every problem just like 26ers aren't the solution to every problem. I like both as a SS platform but man 29er are so much better on steep rock dropoffs and those loose technical climbs. For me and where i ride that makes all the difference, if I lived elsewhere with more rolling singletrack, and tacky dirt it wouldn't seem so amazing I think. Plus what Bruce said.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I went from a rigid 26" singlespeed to a rigid 29'er singlespeed in 2007. At first I really didn't notice a difference. After a month or so of riding the 29'er exclusively I decided to give the 26" a whirl for old time sake. That's when I noticed a difference. After getting used to the 29'er it seemed the 26" wheels would drop into every rut, and hang up on every root.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One of the things I'm looking for in a 29 is better fit. I'm tall, and even though my 26 was built to fit me quite well, it still feels cramped sometimes. With a 29 I can get a bigger cockpit and maybe run 180mm cranks. The wheels should provide a bit more flex too. All things I'm looking for in a SS. My local trails are fairly buff and I also do my endurance riding on my SS. Overall, looking for a bigger bike and a 29 should be just the ticket.

mtbr member

Being 47 I got a good laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I think if you comb the 29"er newbie thread (a fixed thread within the 29"er resource link on the right side of the forum), you'll find 7-8 years of experienced answers of all of us that have been through what you are asking.

It's not that nobody wants to answer your question, it's just that the answer has been typed thousands and thousands and thousands of times on this forum - hence, you get some curt responses now that we are almost in 2012 and the big wheels have been around for so long. One used to be able to search way, way back in these forums. However, that isn't the case anymore to be able to go back to 2003, 2004, 2005 threads. But many of us have been through exactly what you ask.

Rigid is fun for sure, but it beats you up big time - no matter what anybody says. You can try to disguise it with a lightweight fork, a carbon fork, fat tires run tubeless and at maximum squish. You can call yourself manly, or simple, or uncomplicated, or maintenance free or whatever you want to call yourself. But you're not going to be flying through singletrack pain and comfort free at the same speed as those with suspension front or those with a fully enjoying front and rear cushion.

My first 29"er purchase back in 2003 was the Surly Karate Monkey with a rigid fork. I came from a Trek 8000 XC race bike at the time - and loved the switch immediately. Quickly added a full suspension 29"er and a softail (Dos Niner) and have continued to add. These days, I reach for a full suspension 29"er first, before anything else. But I've still got my rigid, SS, Karate Monkey that I enjoy - despite the pain and slower speeds it affords. About the only thing I haven't tried is a SS full suspension bike, but I doubt that's in my future.

I'm 50 - so I want, demand, need, prefer, enjoy, desire, lust for full suspension, a nice gear range and a sweet ride at a fast speed with my 29"er. You may have to try the rigid, then eventual move to some sort of suspension for your 29"er loop. But, if it were me doing it all over again, I'd skip the rigid and SS stuff, the HT stuff, the softail stuff, and go right for the cornucopia - a full suspension 29"er.

BB
    out of reading this. I always enjoy your posts though. Your description of the pain of riding rigid and your lust for fs had me cracking up, lol. I think where one rides plays a big part though. Where I live on Long Island in NY there is no trail that really requires fs imho. Not a one. I would even venture to say none require a front shock. all we have is super tight, twisty woodsy trails with short ups and downs, roots, some rocks and lots of sand. Nothing really that technical. If I lived in New England, West Virginia, or Pennsylvania I would probably be singing a different tune though. Those states have trails that are plenty technical with much bigger climbs,drops and rocks than we have in on Long Island.

I will say that I have been on a fs bike only twice in my life. One time was too short to mention. The other time was on a work trip to Minnesota. The terrain was a lot like my home trails but flatter. I had shipped out my ss Soma Juice but it got there a day late. The bike shop I shipped it to loaned me a Cannondale Prophet with 5in of travel front and rear with a lefty fork for a group ride leaving from the shop. They set it up for my weight and it was the right size. I was bored to tears on that bike. It felt like I was riding a couch on the trails. All I needed was a comforter and a remote!, LOL. All I did was pedal and it rolled over everything. I guess if I was on more challenging terrain my experience would have been different but I absolutely hated every millisecond of it. I was like a kid on Christmas the next day when my ss Juice showed up. The ride that night was pure joy on my Juice. I guess I am just a ht kind of guy when it comes to the trails I ride.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well said. I couldn't agree more.

mtbr member

I have a custom 26er...

One of the things I'm looking for in a 29 is better fit. I'm tall, and even though my 26 was built to fit me quite well, it still feels cramped sometimes. With a 29 I can get a bigger cockpit and maybe run 180mm cranks. The wheels should provide a bit more flex too. All things I'm looking for in a SS. My local trails are fairly buff and I also do my endurance riding on my SS. Overall, looking for a bigger bike and a 29 should be just the ticket.
    built by a very popular builder on this forum. I am tall too (6ft 2in) and big (240 in the summer-250 in the winter) and even though my 26er fits, my custom 29er fits too and feels much, much better. I am significantly faster on my Custom 29er than I am on my custom 26er. I think tall guys really benefit from the big wheels, probably more than anyone else. Its a size appropriate bike in every way.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    Where I live on Long Island in NY there is no trail that really requires fs imho. Not a one. I would even venture to say none require a front shock. all we have is super tight, twisty woodsy trails with short ups and downs, roots, some rocks and lots of sand.
    Talking about the Greenbelt? I brought my SS when we went to visit family in Huntington last month so I could ride there after being away for 9 years. That's the trail i learned to ride on 20+ years ago on my 1990 rigid rockhopper comp. That place is rigid 29er SS heaven! For some reason, there were dudes pedaling around on downhill rigs by Stillwell Woods. Didn't look like much fun on one of those tanks.

hello. kitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I went from a rigid 26" singlespeed to a rigid 29'er singlespeed in 2007. At first I really didn't notice a difference. After a month or so of riding the 29'er exclusively I decided to give the 26" a whirl for old time sake. That's when I noticed a difference. After getting used to the 29'er it seemed the 26" wheels would drop into every rut, and hang up on every root.
    /may be this is what's hanging me up...I've just started riding again..this time a 29er for the first time...I seriously can't tell a difference...is it just me???

I don't get the hype..seriously.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by scream5204 View Post
    /may be this is what's hanging me up...I've just started riding again..this time a 29er for the first time...I seriously can't tell a difference...is it just me???

I don't get the hype..seriously.
    the main 29er experience of "Wow that is better or different or whatever" comes at the point of changing from regularly riding a similar bike in the 26er format. Switching from a 26er XC race hardtail to a 29er carbon FSR is just too much difference in genre to give any different impression than switching from a 26er XC race Hardtail to a 26er Carbon FSR,

If you haven't been riding for while I suggest you go to a difficult technical climb where traction was always an issue and you had a hard time ever cleaning it. Then give it a go and see how far you make it on your 29er.

Hype is just something generated by marketing people. The subtleties of any change is in it performance against your previous benchmark.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons