Motoraptor dimensions and ride characteristics anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Motoraptor dimensions and ride characteristics anyone?

Sure, WTB lists them as 49/52mm, but we all know that's probably not quite right. Has anyone measured them (casing width and height, and tread width)? Please post your findings.

Also, how does this tire ride? I've searched and searched but can't get a good handle on this tire. Is it a typically harsh ride? Is the rubber soft or hard?

FWIW, I'm going to be running them on ZTR 355 29er rims and I weight 175 with gear. I am in SE Pennsylvania and the trails are rocky/rooty/sometimes muddy, etc. I'll be riding a rigid SIR 9 SS.

I've already got a set of Ignitors that I'm going to try when my bike is finished, but I wanted a 'Stan's approved' set of tires as well. I don't think Exis would cut it in the mud right now, but I may pick a set up when things dry out.

Thanks to you all!

Jeremy

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Sure, WTB lists them as 49/52mm, but we all know that's probably not quite right. Has anyone measured them (casing width and height, and tread width)? Please post your findings.

Also, how does this tire ride? I've searched and searched but can't get a good handle on this tire. Is it a typically harsh ride? Is the rubber soft or hard?

FWIW, I'm going to be running them on ZTR 355 29er rims and I weight 175 with gear. I am in SE Pennsylvania and the trails are rocky/rooty/sometimes muddy, etc. I'll be riding a rigid SIR 9 SS.

I've already got a set of Ignitors that I'm going to try when my bike is finished, but I wanted a 'Stan's approved' set of tires as well. I don't think Exis would cut it in the mud right now, but I may pick a set up when things dry out.

Thanks to you all!

Jeremy
    check out this site for specs. Cannot help you on the ride characteristics though.

http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/wtb.html
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I only pull the Moto's out for mud.
    Other than that, they suck.

Almost as heavy as the Exi but not nearly as sticky.
    Slide out on my hardtail.
    Skinny.

They do last a long time though.

Purveyor of Fine 29erness
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I only pull the Moto's out for mud.
    Other than that, they suck.

Almost as heavy as the Exi but not nearly as sticky.
    Slide out on my hardtail.
    Skinny.

They do last a long time though.
    I've had mine on my KM for 2 summers. They are pretty durable, and have held up well.
    I'd imagine they would not be as good in DG (OC Padre?), but in New England, they are good on wet rocks, roots etc.
    They are definitely skinny, but provide decent grip.
    I use them as a multi-purpose ride to the trailhead tire.

no fat chicks
    got em on my bike set up tubeless at 35-40 psi
    compliance is really good
    makes my Al bike feel like steel
    havent measured width or height but they are wide enough for trail ridin
    they only let go one time so far when i tried to go way too fast thru a leafy corner at LBL
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I agree with Padre. Compared to the Exi, the Moto isn't too good for dry conditions but does work a little better in the mud. I've only used it as a rear tire, I wouldn't even consider it for the front.

The Exi is nice but heavy. Before I spend the money, does anyone have any experience switching between the Ignitor and the Exi? Can you really feel the difference in weight and is it worth losing the beefy rock crushing feel of the Exiwolf? It's hard to put into words but I switched out an ACX for the front Exi and the Exi felt so much better when dropping down a rock covered slope. I just wonder if the Ignitor would have that same paper thin feel of the ACX...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm the complete opposite. They are ace in the dry and damp but utter utter rubbish in the wet with proper mud. They clog to easily and you end up on a pair of skis.
    I use them on a ridigd singlespeed in most conditions. Run them at 20psi (unless you get lots of pinches) they roll fast and grip as well as anything I tried on a 26" wheel (well apart from a 3"Gazzaloddi at 12psi) in the dry. Realistically in the UK where I live if you want any form of traction in the mud you have to run mud tyres.

Boe
    http://boe.fixed.se
    I loved the Motos in wet conditions. Front and back, didnt clog up in theese donditions.

Boe
    http://boe.fixed.se
    Quote Originally Posted by TomL
    I'd describe that as damp. ;0)
    This is the sort of what I describe as mud and plenty of it around here at this time of year :0)
    Hehe, thats just nasty!
    Last edited by Boe; 02-09-2006 at 02:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boe
    I loved the Motos in wet conditions. Front and back, didnt clog up in theese donditions.
    I'd describe that as damp. ;0)
    This is the sort of what I describe as mud and plenty of it around here at this time of year :0)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Def. Exis for dry...but what about Moto dims?

All of the info so far has been helpful. Sounds like we all ride in different types of mud, so the Moto is good for some and not good for others. That's to be expected. What I'm really interested in is the actual dimensions of the Moto. Just looking for those so that I can get an idea of how big it actually is.

Slightly off topic, but how does an Exi handle in the rear? The knobs seem very small for a rear tire. Does it wear quickly?

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    They are fairly hard wearing. I've done 1000 miles on a second hand pair and a new pair and the new pair are hardly touched.
    The only dimensions I can give you is they just fit in a 700c P2 fork.
    matchstick type clearance.
    I'd liken the width to a 2.1" panaracer fire xc pro

Members who have read this thread: 0