Motobecane Outcast Tire Clearance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Motobecane Outcast Tire Clearance

I'm looking at buying the Motobecane Outcast 21" frame from Bike Island. This is the newer frame with rear disc mounts. Do you guys know what the largest tire is that will fit on the rear? I know the bikesdirect bikes come with 2.1" tires. I want to put the panaracer rampage 2.35" tires on, but don't know if they will fit. Could someone measure their frame? I think the Phantom's and Outcast are probably the same.
    Thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    I'm looking at buying the Motobecane Outcast 21" frame from Bike Island. This is the newer frame with rear disc mounts. Do you guys know what the largest tire is that will fit on the rear? I know the bikesdirect bikes come with 2.1" tires. I want to put the panaracer rampage 2.35" tires on, but don't know if they will fit. Could someone measure their frame? I think the Phantom's and Outcast are probably the same.
    Thanks

I appears to me these can use a 2.35 but not a 2.5

we put some 2.35 on a 2010 Outcast and it seemed good

~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - anyone interested in SS or multi that would come with 29 x 2.5 or 2.55?

is buachail foighneach me
    as long as you could keep the chainstay length where it is, or shorter, they would sell. ss'ers like big fat tires. fact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah I think the 2.5's would sell great. Is bikesdirect going to be coming out with a new outcast SS? The outcast available now is the old frame.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    Yeah I think the 2.5's would sell great. Is bikesdirect going to be coming out with a new outcast SS? The outcast available now is the old frame.
    Are the bikes on BD still using the older Outkast frame? How can you tell the differences?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you look on bikesdirect they have two outcast versions now.

One is the 2010 which has sliding 3 bolt rear dropouts with disc brake tabs and a derailuer hanger so you can run SS or geared.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm

The older frame does not have the disc brake tab in the rear or the der hanger.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tcast29_08.htm

I can't remember any other differences. You can see the different rear setup in the pics.

I just recently bought a 29er outcast frame from bikeisland.com, it is the same frame as the 2010 outcast on BD. Its grey instead of black though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Also, the 2010 outcast frame has cable stops to run gears also. I don't know if the old outcast does or not, I don't think so though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    2010 frame is disc brake only, older frame is rim brakes only.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Ahh, thanks all.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Figured I needed the excuse to exercise the new camera so I took a few poorly composed photos of my 17" 2010 Outcast 29er with an Ardent 2.25 on Stans Flow rim (tubeless @ 30psi). There is a plenty of clearance with the sliders slammed all the way forward, but the derailler cage does come pretty close to the knobs in granny. With the sliders moved back 1/4" or so I think a fair larger tire would work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Outcast Tire Clearance-p1000007.jpg  

Motobecane Outcast Tire Clearance-p1000011.jpg  

Motobecane Outcast Tire Clearance-p1000012.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0