Motobecane e-bay bike ?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

Motobecane e-bay bike ?

I realize these bikes are most likely the walmart bikes of the 29er world and hopefully this being my first post won't offend anyone. I'm well past any hardcore riding days (and honestly I wasn't that hardcore back then) This bike is priced about the same as the Dambala that Jenson's has right now, I could get along fine with 8 or 9 gears but a single speed wouldn't work out well for my riding and area. There are no dealers within three hours of me that are going to have any bikes in stock to look at, I'd like to buy a bike for under a thousand and I want to try a 29er. Just looking for opinion's thanks denny

Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-MOU...QQcmdZViewItem

No longer 26
    Honestly, I do not see anthing wrond with the parts spec or the bike, especially for the price. If you are confident in the frame size you need, I'd say go for it. From all I have read their frames are fine.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I picked up the Outcast 29 from the same seller. While I didn't expect much for a $329 bicycle, I just needed a commuter I could leave outside without worring too much. I have found myself very happy with the purchase. The frame is quite strong with minimal flex, welds are nice, and the paint is amazing for the price.

I say go for it, and be proud of your French brand!

Recovering couch patato
    "No other 29er bike can offer you features, quality, and a full lifetime warranty for under $600"
    Yet, it costs $729+$70 handling. Wasn't the Outcast $30 or 40 in handling?

Apart from the long outdated tires it looks like a nice spec for the money. Indeed 185mm brake rotors are nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I say very well spec'ed for the cash. Take it from someone who just build up a 29er from frame. I believe you have more recourse with the seller of the Motobecane/Ebay vs. the Jensen. ie:feedback, forums and the like. Saw a Fantom cross cyclocross the other day and it was a very nice bike. Good Luck.

Portland, OR
    Its okay, not great. I'd put my money into an ibex section 29 just because of the fork!

$899.99 + $35.00 to ship, so $949.99 total so still under 1k. the moto has somewhat better brakes, but a worse fork. Ibex is SRAM and moto is shimano. ibex has far superior hubs, moto has generic formula.

So a bit more than the moto, but in my opinion, the components on the section 29 I'd rather have than the ones on the moto. I've ridden a moto once, will never again.

linky http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    Its okay, not great. I'd put my money into an ibex section 29 just because of the fork!

Seconded, as an owner of a Section 29 at that.
    Last edited by utabintarbo; 08-29-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Aug 2007
    Thanks for the input guy's, I've always been terrible at buying moderately priced gear and suspect I'll double the ante and then upgrade a bit from there.
    I'm off for a three week trip and I'll decide which way to go when I return, I really enjoy the pictures of the beautiful builds on the forum. denny

anyone else smell that?
    if you need a 16" frame....the section 29 is very nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0