Most Nimble, playful full suspension bikes 4-5" travel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Most Nimble, playful full suspension bikes 4-5" travel

My anthem X seems pretty nimble, lively and playful. What other bike do you all consider nimble, playful, lively full sus bikes? I'm 6' 190lbs and ride xc, trail, ss trails.

I wonder if a bike with a shorter chainstay and slacker head would be more fun? Maybe a carbon frame?

I know what I asking is subjective.

Just pondering.....thanks Bill

tao
    succinct
    Look at the Lenz Lineup.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

Not smart enough to shift
    Bill, out of *all* of the 29er double squishies that I've ridden, the normal Tallboy is it. Granted, I haven't ridden a Lenz, but I have ridden many others. This is just my opinion though...Demo all you can.

I'm precisely the same size as you and my large TallboyC is an absolute blast to ride...It just puts a big freekin' grin on my face. I'm a little biased as I also have a Black Cat single speed that has a 42" wheelbase and ~16.5" chainstays. My TB with a 120 fork (only way to go IMHO) has just shy of a 44" wheelbase.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i ve ridden the anthem for 18 mos and recently demoed the more all mt long travel bikes with criteria like yours - shorter cs and slackker head. ended up w a Kona Satori - blows the anthem away in terms of a fun long travel 29. anthem has its place and punches above its weight class, but the Satori and Yeti 95 do everything so well. value - hard pressed to find a better, fun, playful and simply put - downhill monster - better than the satori for the money

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    i ve ridden the anthem for 18 mos and recently demoed the more all mt long travel bikes with criteria like yours - shorter cs and slackker head. ended up w a Kona Satori - blows the anthem away in terms of a fun long travel 29. anthem has its place and punches above its weight class, but the Satori and Yeti 95 do everything so well. value - hard pressed to find a better, fun, playful and simply put - downhill monster - better than the satori for the money

i had the exact opposite opinion of that bike and the rest of slack headtube short chainstay bikes out.
    the short chainstay nimbleness was slowed way down by the headtube angle. the ones i rode had short stems or long stems, didn't matter they usually had steering flop and rode like a chopper.

look into the wilson atlas. don't remember the geo numbers but it was quite fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Transition Bandit 29, Kona Satori, Lenz, Yeti SB95, all good ones for this type of style

mtbr member
    a 650b...

OG!

Hank

mtbr member
    Bill,
    I'm 185 6'2" and have an anthem x29 with the fox 100mm fork. When the fork needed service I had it Pushed, and they increased travel to 120 and did the high air volume mod. This slackened it a bit and the extra travel really increased the "playfulness" of this bike. I'm stoked cause it feels like a new bike!

Also on this forum is a Banshee XL frame for sale that may be an option for you if the size is right.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    i had the exact opposite opinion of that bike and the rest of slack headtube short chainstay bikes out.
    the short chainstay nimbleness was slowed way down by the headtube angle. the ones i rode had short stems or long stems, didn't matter they usually had steering flop and rode like a chopper.

look into the wilson atlas. don't remember the geo numbers but it was quite fast.
    I think you mean the Devinci Atlas. The Wilson is Devinci's downhill frame.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Kona Satori. Best full suspension 29er I've owned/ridden.

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by tao View Post
    Look at the Lenz Lineup.
    Good advice.

I have a coupl'a riding pals on a Bandit 29 and a Trance X. They both love their bikes, as they should.

I ride a Lenz Lunchbox and wouldn't trade or sell it for the world. This bike has opened my eyes to lines on my local trails that I never knew existed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For me the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT ticks all those boxes.
    It's as lively and playful as my ASR5, but a lot more stable at speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 on the Lenz, hard to get but great bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most Nimble, playful full suspension bikes 4-5" travel-lenz.jpg  

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Kona Satori. Best full suspension 29er I've owned/ridden.
    yep

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Kona Satori/Transition Covert.....

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm the same size as you.

I have owned Jet9's, Rip9's , Tallboy C & Jet9 RDO & hands down the Jet9 RDO is the best most fun bike I have owned.

The Niners pedal so much better than the likes of the Tallboy IMO, I diched my TB after 3 months & thats when I got the Jet9 RDO.

The Rip9 RDO will be well worth a look aswell.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Trigger 29er is my current favourite. The new Lefty Supermax 130 is awesome, the whole ride is stiff and efficient. Santa Cruz Tallboy LT is also nice but once you get used to a Lefty it is hard to go back to flexy forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcraft29er View Post
    Trigger 29er is my current favourite. The new Lefty Supermax 130 is awesome, the whole ride is stiff and efficient. Santa Cruz Tallboy LT is also nice but once you get used to a Lefty it is hard to go back to flexy forks.
    The Lefty will make any 29er awesome...Duh

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Bill,
    I'm 185 6'2" and have an anthem x29 with the fox 100mm fork. When the fork needed service I had it Pushed, and they increased travel to 120 and did the high air volume mod. This slackened it a bit and the extra travel really increased the "playfulness" of this bike. I'm stoked cause it feels like a new bike!
    Hey Thanks!!! I thought of that, however I don't need a service yet, but when I do, I will certainly try to get it pushed. When I called them, they said they should be able to do it, but some Fox forks they can't and they can't tell which ones without looking inside. Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0