More.. Tire width, contact patch, and speed.- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

More.. Tire width, contact patch, and speed.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=21995

Read the above link posted on the roadie review site. It's got a very interesting discussion about 25mm tires actually being faster than 23mm.

So...I was thinking about these new Bontrager wide/light tires and was wondering if they would be faster than a pair of Nanoraptors? Or would this not apply becasue we tend to run lower air pressures?

As Pardre would say...."geek out" - might as well because it's Friday!

~Brett
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Recovering couch patato
    Schwalbe, when doing testing on their MTB tires, often find teh 2.25" size to be faster than the 2.1". I'm pretty sure this is at equal psi's though, so always hard to compare as wider tires indeed tend to be run at lower psi, which increases the tire's internal resistance, which is most noticed on hard smooth surfaces where tire vs. ground resistance is relatively low.
    At one point, I believe Schwalbe issued that their Qualifier Compound version of the 26x2.35" Big Apple road tire, was their fastest tire allround.

I totally dig my 28mm Rivendell tires on the road bike, for added grip and comfort. They roll just fine.

Geek on!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Bored

I agree..

I've read similar things. Basically, a wider/larger tire at the same air pressure as a narrower/smaller tire will have less rolling resistance because there is less deformation in the tire. Compare two road tires at 100 PSI. A narrower 20C will have more rolling resistance because its contact patch becomes more "D" shaped, while a 23C tire deforms less and maintains a "U" shape. What stops a rider from using a wider tire (on road) is the affect on air drag caused by a wider tire. On MTB, this wouldn't apply as much.

I've found this study on http://www.analyticcycling.com.

Here is something else of interest.

http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesTires_Page.html
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Who turned out the lights
    By reading the board, I at least found out that there are as many fools willing to fight to the death about misunderstood principles on their boards as there ar on ours.

The technical emails were an interesting read, and something that I rarely think about, even as an engineer. The fighting emails, were, well, entertaining. Sometimes I enjoy watching someone who is quite obviously wrong argue vehemently that they are right, and then make fun of the other party to distract from their wrongness. That's a large part of why I don't watch the SS board much...

www.badgercycles.com

If you think that one is good check this one

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    By reading the board, I at least found out that there are as many fools willing to fight to the death about misunderstood principles on their boards as there ar on ours.

The technical emails were an interesting read, and something that I rarely think about, even as an engineer. The fighting emails, were, well, entertaining. Sometimes I enjoy watching someone who is quite obviously wrong argue vehemently that they are right, and then make fun of the other party to distract from their wrongness. That's a large part of why I don't watch the SS board much...
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=21906

I laughed so hard my boss told me to shutup from 5 cubes away!

Only dead people are old
    Those guy are insane...they never did answer the question.

Not really that big!
    Feb 2004

Saddle Fit!?!

Great humor! These guys rip! The only suggestion not made was a recumbent. Dr. Phil would give kudos for the discussion here!!

NedwannaB

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Super E
    Those guy are insane...they never did answer the question.
    After regaining my compusure, I'm thinking the same thing.....still funny though. Thanks everyone!