Hisforever

More camparos: Rallon Smash knolly Fugitive Ripmo Sentinel Scott ransom

Trying to decide what bike to go for is a hard decision nowadays. Seems like its coming down these few.
    Knolly Fugitive: Looks to be promising, slightly more pedal centric than previous trailbikes like the Warden? These bikes work well, you either like how they look or dont.
    Devinci spartan 29???
    GG Smash looks pretty killer, i think the bb will get kinda tall if i put a 160mm fork on. Do they sell to shops? or just direct?. i can get a better deal through a shop than on my own...

Orbea Rallon: Seems like the Orbea will be the same for one more year then most likely updated. Is that a bad call to get one this late? looks like a great all arounder.

Turner could have something in the pipeline??? I wish. This doesnt look likely.
    If it looked like the Flux 27.5 with progressive #'s that would be killer

yeti 150 is probably too much $$ and my shop doesnt get them yet.

Carbon Sentinel to save some weight. i have ridden one shortly and got along just fine. These bikes just seem cheaply built to me. I know they ride well but i dunno, dont want to hurt anyone's feelings. not bashing, just being honest. still in the running

Trek Slash??? damn, too many options
    Pivot Firebird 29?
    Scott Ransom??? BIKE Mag bible guys really liked it
    IBIS Ripmo??? read where some guys that demoed didnt really like compared to some others.

Im sure we could all get along with any bike listed here but i just want the one that checks off the most boxes.

ride on
    Last edited by SHAHEEB; 09-05-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm pretty much on the same boat. I noticed all along the year, I tend to be terrible at punchy climbs/hard power pedaling after a turn. So I want something punchy and stiff. I'm comfortable in the steeps/chunk on pretty much anything.

My short list includes:
    Mondraker Foxy 29er (demoed, loved it) - Super efficient, smasher, not a "fun" bike relatively
    Transition sentinel (demoed, loved it) - Smasher, super fun bike, doesn't climb too terribly given its abilities
    Orbea Rallon (trying a large and XL tonight to see which one I demo)
    GG Smash (I know these bikes already, love them) - super good up and up down, fun, local team of friends, not as fun at the Sentinel, but more than the Foxy. EDIT: I know many riders riding it with a 160mm fork. Given how fast they are, I don't think it's an issue!
    Norco Range 29 (I can get a decent deal) - TBD
    Rocky Instinct BC (I've heard the best about this one) - TBD
    Ibis Ripmo would be nice to demo too, it ticks a lot of boxes! - TBD
    I want to add the Starling Murmur in there, but realistically, I don't think I would get it without a demo...

I'll follow this thread.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

This place needs an enema
    Real hard to go wrong these days, especially if you're hip to the geo nuances between the options on the table.

Hisforever
    This is exactly why i was posting. There are multiple little nuances that I was hoping could become exposed

I think if we were racing, it would be a good idea to look for a bike to improve your weaknesses. In my case, I just want to have the most fun, so maybe an all arounder. Wheres skinny Bex?
    Jesus Saves

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    His response would be predictable.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Hisforever
    what would your response be???
    Jesus Saves

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My response would be: I don’t know you, your skillset, where you ride or what you’re looking for in a bike. Thus, any input from me would basically be me picking the bike I like best. Which is useless for you.

Of your list, I’ve owned a Smash and an Instinct. Both past tense. The Instinct was pretty vanilla for me. Nice-looking, OK at most things, but not special. The Smash was an excellent climber shockingly, but far too, uh, firm in the descending department. I did not like it.

Riding buddy has a Sentinel and loves it. I wouldn’t be holding my breath for anything from Turner, though I’d love to see bigger-travel 29.

Hisforever
    Fair enough: this is me, i'm riding a few different areas. One is pretty smooth flow type trails(berms/jumps). Another is rockier chunkier, the kind that makes your suspension feel shitty usually compared to the flowy area. and another is faster dusty, open, semi whooped out moto type trails.
    I can climb and desecend, i have skills.
    My last bikes were evils (following/insurgent) knolly warden carbon intense tracer/carbine.
    I'm looking for a bike that has more plush nature than firm this time. I prefer coil if i have a choice.
    Although i was on the wrong size. i did sample an instinct bc edition and would agree with you, it felt pretty basic, but at the time i wasnt sure because it was stiff and too large...
    Right now, I am leaning towards the sentinel b/c its available now. If its not all that it should be easy to sell. And the orbea but have to wait 3 mos for a special order

please feel free to recommend anything not on the list.
    Jesus Saves

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Word. I'm in Arizona, so mostly Phoenix riding (big rocky gnar, very little dirt, high consequence) with some Sedona/Tucson/Flagstaff.

I'm currently running a '19 Stumpy as my trail bike and a YT Capra CF 29 as my bigger bike.

The Instinct is not plush. The Smash, even in Plush mode with a coil, not plush. To be honest -- and I paid for all these bikes out of pocket, so I don't really have a dog in the fight; I wanted all of them to be awesome -- the new Stumpy destroys both those bikes. No one likes to hear it because, you know, Specialized, but for me it's 100% true.

The Capra is an absolute monster descender. I mean, ridiculously dialed, plush and fast. I wouldn't want to pedal it around all day, though.

I'd be interested in the Knolly if I didn't have my trail bike slot already dialed. The new Yeti looks great, but I still don't trust their build quality in this environment.

My buddy loves his Sentinel. I pedaled one around a bit and it seemed fine, but no real experience.

If you want a plush bike that you can still put miles on, the E29 or Slash are hard to beat. Or, a dark horse, Banshee Prime. Plush, excellent pedaler, relatively cheap.

Hard to make a bad decision.

mtbr member
    The Norco Sight might be a good bike to look into. Lots of great reviews on that one.

I demoed a 27.5 one and really dug it.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can you define what "fun" means to you and why Sentinel>smash>foxy?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    I'm pretty much on the same boat. I noticed all along the year, I tend to be terrible at punchy climbs/hard power pedaling after a turn. So I want something punchy and stiff. I'm comfortable in the steeps/chunk on pretty much anything.

My short list includes:
    Mondraker Foxy 29er (demoed, loved it) - Super efficient, smasher, not a "fun" bike relatively
    Transition sentinel (demoed, loved it) - Smasher, super fun bike, doesn't climb too terribly given its abilities
    Orbea Rallon (trying a large and XL tonight to see which one I demo)
    GG Smash (I know these bikes already, love them) - super good up and up down, fun, local team of friends, not as fun at the Sentinel, but more than the Foxy. EDIT: I know many riders riding it with a 160mm fork. Given how fast they are, I don't think it's an issue!
    Norco Range 29 (I can get a decent deal) - TBD
    Rocky Instinct BC (I've heard the best about this one) - TBD
    Ibis Ripmo would be nice to demo too, it ticks a lot of boxes! - TBD
    I want to add the Starling Murmur in there, but realistically, I don't think I would get it without a demo...

I'll follow this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    This is exactly why i was posting. There are multiple little nuances that I was hoping could become exposed

I think if we were racing, it would be a good idea to look for a bike to improve your weaknesses. In my case, I just want to have the most fun, so maybe an all arounder. Wheres skinny Bex?
    Rallon won't be seeing an update until at least 2021 releases which would be August/September 2020

It's the best All Around bike listed above followed by the Ripmo and RM non BC Instinct. The Rallon has the best blend of climb/descend/Geo/weight and build quality of all the bikes listed

Best Gravity bikes are Sentinel, Smash, FB29 and most likely Spartan.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    The Yeti SB150 is a wildcard because they basically copied and pasted the Transition Geo except the Yeti Kinematics are the best in the bussiness and with the new Clevis/Yoke extender the leverage ratio is wider and a bit more progressive leading to a bike that can run damn near any shock and be fun and compliant.

Streetdoctor is a fast Pro Class racer and just picked his up day 1 release and agrees Yeti finally hit a home run with the package they put out on this bike with Geo/Suspension and he's ridden them all...Smash, E29, Sentinel and so on.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    The Spartan 29 is the bike that'll be a contender for the "Championship Belt" because it'll be built like a tank, Split Pivot Rules DW stuff, Supportive suspension like all Devinci's but still can use the last bit of travel...good thing, last few bikes have had great Geo....Reach, STL, STA and WB without getting stupidly extreme.

2019 builds are Priced really well if you wan't a frame or build so ton's of Value
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    I was looking for a new bike and pulled the trigger on a Knolly Fugitive LT frame, building it up to be durable but not super heavy (carbon wheels, but everything else is alloy) and with an air shock for now.

I considered the Rallon, but it got crossed off the list when I heard about the limited tire clearance out bike. I could work around it, but why should I when there are so many other options without that limitation?

The GG Smash was also on my list and it came down to that and the Fugitive. I'm sure I'd be happy with either. Actually, I'd be happy with any of the bikes you listed.

Whatever you pick, I'm sure it'll be rad.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Can you define what "fun" means to you and why Sentinel>smash>foxy?
    I'll try to do my best .

Basically, the foxy is super hard to throw sideways on jumps. Also, it corners damn well, but it's all controled, like on a rail. The Sentinel, you could just throw it with your hips in a corner, and make the rear drift to catch a root or a little something. Probably a bit slower at race pace, but more "fun" by my definition.

I'm picking up the Rallon in 30 minutes, for the rest of the weekend, I'll add it to my list

From what I've read above, I SHOULD go against my principles, and demo that Yeti SB150 and the new stumpy, but I would considering that as treason...
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    The Spartan 29 is the bike that'll be a contender for the "Championship Belt" because it'll be built like a tank, Split Pivot Rules DW stuff, Supportive suspension like all Devinci's but still can use the last bit of travel...good thing, last few bikes have had great Geo....Reach, STL, STA and WB without getting stupidly extreme.

2019 builds are Priced really well if you wan't a frame or build so ton's of Value
    New Spartan 29 will have almost same geo as the 27.5, but with steeper Seattubeangle (same reach, same HA, slightly longer WB). Spec is expensive and they still put Guides on them which is just ridicolous... and of course: Superboost, so costum build will be a problem I guess (if you want to take a wheelset and not build your own...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sb150 has even a steeper seat tube angle than transition sentinel at 77 vs 76.3 (at least what I At what point is it too steep?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Smash is firm, but not harsh, climbs as good as any bike I’ve ridden, descends fast, may not be plush, but it’s also not a bean bag. If you want an easy chair rider, you compromise on climbing and stability. GG made a choice, maximized climbing prowess and crushing the descents. Wear a padded brief and run a decent seat, the Smash is great bike. I prefer air front and rear.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind View Post
    Sb150 has even a steeper seat tube angle than transition sentinel at 77 vs 76.3 (at least what I At what point is it too steep?
    Go check out the STA on the Pole website for the Evolink bikes as I believe they are between 78-79 degrees

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have seen it. I guess I need to try it before I shake my head at it. At some point I got to believe there will be some finishing returns-maybe I climbing??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind View Post
    Don’t get caught up in the numbers... all companies measure differently. The Sentinel is more slack than a GG smash with a 160 fork (measured 75.2 supposedly), and also an ‘18 S Enduro. The Yeti is slightly more slack than the Smash but just barely.

Hisforever
    Thanks to all for the reply's.
    Ended up ordering a medium Sentinel x01. This was the quickest pain free ride available.
    Fitting an 11/6 stoked
    happy trails boys
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Enjoy the ride!

Thanks to all for the reply's.
    Ended up ordering a medium Sentinel x01. This was the quickest pain free ride available.
    Fitting an 11/6 stoked
    happy trails boys
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Hisforever
    sorry to resurrect but i couldnt resist. pretty stoked on the new sentinel! I was going into it thinking meh somewhat, but after riding I am a believer. its a downhill ripper. very fast, excellent cornering. climbing with tubes was poor but an easy fix w the stans mk3, going tubeless they are not too bad compared to carbon 27.5's i have been on all before this.

anyways, boys this is a good bike. pretty happy right now.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Hi,

I don´t know where the information on the Rallon comes from - I´d say two things about the 29er one:
    It´s a basically brand new, it was launched last fall. I´d not expect an update for at least two to three more seasons. Orbea doesn´t do new models every year, fortunately. So you´re pretty fresh in the product cycle right now.

And tire clearance on mine is actually very good. I currently ride a 2.5WT Maxxis rear tire. LOTS of room left. A 29x2.6 would fit easily. I can´t think of a tire that I´d want to fit that wouldn´t fit.

I love the bike!

Hisforever
    about to order a m10 custom color rallon also. local shop spent considerable time securing dealership so we could order one. cant wait, this bike looks awesome, so much special ed copied it.
    Jesus Saves

dmo
    mtbr member
    about to order a m10 custom color rallon also. local shop spent considerable time securing dealership so we could order one. cant wait, this bike looks awesome, so much special ed copied it.
    Rallon over the Sentinel?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    And just because, facts, Specialized had done the single-sided thing on the Demo well before Orbea. They transitioned the design to the Stumpy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just got back from my inaugural Fugitive ride and while I don't want to say it's the best bike in the world, IT IS!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    And just because, facts, Specialized had done the single-sided thing on the Demo well before Orbea. They transitioned the design to the Stumpy.
    And just because, facts, the Stumpy is a mirror image of the Rallon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    And just because, facts, the Stumpy is a mirror image of the Rallon.

geeeze who cares. specialized didn't copy orbea, not a chance. they can't redesign an entire bike within that kind of timeframe, but even if they did, who cares? you know how many companies took the fsr suspension the second the patent ended a few years ago? no one is complaining that transition and guerrilla gravity took the fsr from specialized? how about diamondback, same thing. get over it, just buy the bike you like. oh boohoo they copied someone

mtbr member
    I really wanted to love the Rallon, so much I demo’d it twice just to make sure. It fit great and corned amazingly, but was super harsh out back in the chunk and blew through the travel no matter what adjustments I made. Rode the new Bronson all weekend and was pleasantly surprised, the Nomad Sus carryover increased small bump compliance for sure.... too bad it’s 27.5. Next I want to give the Sentinel a go!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    geeeze who cares. specialized didn't copy orbea, not a chance. they can't redesign an entire bike within that kind of timeframe, but even if they did, who cares? you know how many companies took the fsr suspension the second the patent ended a few years ago? no one is complaining that transition and guerrilla gravity took the fsr from specialized? how about diamondback, same thing. get over it, just buy the bike you like. oh boohoo they copied someone
    I really don't know why a blatantly cheeky post not even directed at you upset you so badly but I do apologize.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I really wanted to love the Rallon ...
    did you ride the rallon with coil shock? x2? dpx2?
    I only heard that with a coil the rallon tends to blow thru travel easily, no other complaints about the rear susp with air shock.
    On the other side most ppl seem to have similar problems with the sentinel - until they have dialed in the shock correctly (for their type of riding) .

mtbr member
    Aenduro, the first time I rode it was a DPX2 in southern UT and the second time was X2 on my home trails in northern UT. Both times I kept pulling over to check if it was locked out because that’s how harsh it rode. The switch is also easy to hit with your inner thigh, which I also disliked. I continued to let out air in the shock and tires, which helped but not enough. It gets great reviews for being a great all arounder, but definitely not for me. For reference, the trails I ride are pretty chunky and I prefer compliance over racy. It also weighed over 32lbs and it felt it.

mtbr member
    I felt like it took a while for the Rallon sus to open up. Even then I wouldn't say it's supple, but it is very supportive which I quite like. Harsh and blowing through it's travel doesn't compute though. I'm a bruiser bull in the china shop type of rider and blow through it's travel it does not with an air shock. Sounds like a spacer and less psi might have helped. I'd also add for such a capable bike it does all day big rides very very well. Last week I rode 7200ish and 6kish rides back to back both in the 23 mile range. Rooty rocky steep extravaganzas and the Rallon was just brilliant. With that if my terrain was super chunky I'd probably choose a bike with a more active design.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

This place needs an enema
    Over the past month I've gotten time on Ransom (tuned), Smuggler, Ripmo, SB130, and Foxy.

Glad I got to demo first, because now I know that I wouldn't buy any of them.

I liked the Foxy at low speeds but the suspension quickly got overwhelmed as speeds increased. Which is weird for a bike this long and low.

I liked the Ripmo suspension at a range of speeds, but the low BB was a total dealbreaker.

SB130 had me scratching my head and wondering where (or for whom) this bike shines. Sus could be made to feel OK, but the long, low, stretched geo resulted in a bike that just wanted to lawn dart off of anything higher than 6". Pulling hard enough to give myself a hernia I still couldn't manual through piles of chunk or chunder. I guess if your style is point, let off brakes, and let the bike do the work then maybe? But no fun to try to pilot the bike, I guess you're just meant to hang on and hope.

Ransom's many buttons took some getting used to. Nice to have the ability to limit or lock suspension with the push of a lever. No good though when everything is unlocked and the bike feels really overdamped on compression. And because of the remotes, you don't get meaningful external compression adjustments. Basically open, travel limited, or locked. Full open just felt really harsh on small stuff -- basically unless you were dropping many feet.

Smuggler pivots had slop right out of the box, and even after tightening everything the slop persisted.

KMart
    Jun 2008

Orbea Rallon

All I can speak to is my experience on my Rallon. I ride pretty hard and this bike has been amazing. Climbs incredibly well even though I have it set up very heavy so I can bomb techy, rocky downhills. I am 50 and climbing now really sucks so any help I can get i take it. This thing keeps me from dreading every climb and that's saying something. Even Belcher at White Ranch(local Denver trail) is a joy to ride compared to my DWLink bike. I've also climbed things on this that I could never get up before.
    The downhills are even better. I've taken this to a couple of bike parks too and it does fantastic on the jump trails and the black diamond rough stuff. I had a first gen Evil Following before this and loved that bike because it was so fun. However, the rallon is more fun on the downhills and much more stable and planted. Almost every ride on the Evil I was breaking something but the Rallon has been bombproof. I did blow up one of the rims with a cushcore in it but I bottomed out HARD and the wheels I was running were only 28 spokes. I also weigh about 200 with gear.

Pros to this bike:
    Good Price point for a carbon bike
    Fun, poppy, maneuverable, tight, stiff ride while still being able to be act as a plow bike when things get really rough.
    Great specs, (except the wheels maybe)
    Great geo and climbs amazing for a long travel 29er.
    I tried yeti 5.5, Following, Wreckoning, Spec Enduro 29er, Spec Stumpy, Pivot Switchblade, YT Jeffsy, etc. and they all did something well but not everything.
    The RALLON does everything WELL.

I'll say this and I have not said this about a bike in a very long time. I will be heartbroken if this bike ever gets stolen!! I've always had bikes that I'm like, eh, if it gets stolen I just get something else but not with this bike. I'm also the type to be on a constant search for the next better bike I want. This is the first bike I've owned where I'll be fine if the RALLON ends up being my last bike. I have absolutely no complaints and that is saying something because I am super critical. Maybe the Fox 36 because I loved my RockShox fork but that's really reaching.

mtbr member
    ^^^ This guy gets it and pretty much sums up how the Rallon performs and why it’s Top Dawg.

Obviously not everyone will jive with every bike since the suspension kinematics and compliance are so different from bike to bike but if you didn’t know what bike brand you were riding and you jumped on 10 of the high performance LT 29’er available I think the Rallon we be most preferred taking everything into account.

Regarding who built what first and who copies who in the design game it matters very little to myself as you can’t really buy a turd these days.

It’s a copycat industry but I’d buy that Rallon over and Specialized 10 out of 10 times because it’s superior in even the Frame Finnish and fit quality. My main riding buddy bought his Stumpy day 1 and it’s just Meh

Split Pivot for the win and the Rallon only needs possibly Volume spacers to cater to the larger and heavier riders that tend to blow through travel on all stock air shocks.

mtbr member
    ^ That really mirrors a lot of what I have to say about the Rallon. It does everything well and a full season in it's still just a joy to ride. The hardware, pivots etc. have been unflappable, not a peep all season which is an absolute first for me. Typically this time of year I've got my geo charts going with an eye to my next bike in an effort to improve things I may not like about my current bike. I have zero plans to try & one up the Rallon, really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^ That really mirrors a lot of what I have to say about the Rallon. It does everything well and a full season in it's still just a joy to ride. The hardware, pivots etc. have been unflappable, not a peep all season which is an absolute first for me. Typically this time of year I've got my geo charts going with an eye to my next bike in an effort to improve things I may not like about my current bike. I have zero plans to try & one up the Rallon, really happy with it.
    i was going to buy a ransom 910 or rallon. i can't demo either ..

was pretty sure ransom was the way to go. now im thinking rallon o:

i'm pretty much 6ft. or maybe a few mms under. should i go med or large? usually ride large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leem85 View Post

i'm pretty much 6ft. or maybe a few mms under. should i go med or large? usually ride large.
    I'd play with Orbea's sizing chart, which is relatively thorough, and consider your terrain if contemplating sizing up. To long and you run into exactly what Mikesee describes above. Fast open terrain and long is all asset. I'd also ask on the Orbea forum for guys opinions on your height. I'm 6'2" on an XL and the length on this thing was a real eye opener for me. It rips while still remaining PLENTY fun. Other bikes I've owned leaned much more one way or the other in that regard. With that I can't recommend this thing enough, the goldilocks bike for trail rippers.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by leem85 View Post

Did you end up making a decision? Between really these two bikes as well for my new steed. I'm in Southern California so longer descents, lots of rocks, with plans to take the bike on trips across the Western US. Coming off a GG Smash, want a bike that would pedal well for big mountain rides but it not quite as firm feeling on descents as the Smash. Also with a slightly lower bottom bracket (Smash feels too high with the 160 fork on faster descents). Ransom would obviously be with their shock, Rallon would get the 11-6 moved over from my Smash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Did you end up making a decision? Between really these two bikes as well for my new steed. I'm in Southern California so longer descents, lots of rocks, with plans to take the bike on trips across the Western US. Coming off a GG Smash, want a bike that would pedal well for big mountain rides but it not quite as firm feeling on descents as the Smash. Also with a slightly lower bottom bracket (Smash feels too high with the 160 fork on faster descents). Ransom would obviously be with their shock, Rallon would get the 11-6 moved over from my Smash.
    I just went from a smash with a coil to a carbon sentinel with upgraded parts all around so I dropped probably 2-3 pounds. I can’t say the sentinel climbs more efficiently than the smash, but they’re close enough that I would say they’re pretty equal despite the weight differences. As you know the smash climbs extremely well for such a heavy bike. The sentinel is for sure more plush and has noticeably better small bump compliance, but so far I feel it is also a little more harsh when you start riding it hard and get deeper into the travel. I still need to fine tune the shock, but it could just be the feeling of coil (smash) vs air (sentinel). The sentinel is easier to turn and I think the bb is noticeably lower than the smash (I had a 150 fork) even though the geo charts say they’re about the same. The sentinel head tube is a lot shorter which I think puts more weight on the front and may also contribute to the easier steering. Possibly the shorter offset fork is contributing too. The super slack head tube on the sentinel doesn’t seem to be a hinderance. Overall it sounds like I was going for the same thing as you, easier to turn and smoother, and the sentinel checks those box’s - but I wouldn’t expect it to be significantly different or faster than the smash. We’re just talking very subtle differences now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post

Ended up with a RM Instinct C90 BC Edition. No regrets. I actually love the higher bb. don't notice any stability issues and the thing is a missile. higher bb is great for putting the bike anywhere and not having to worry about pedal strikes etc.

rallon was going to take too long to get in and the RM was a much better buy in my country compared to the ransom. plus i didn't want a proprietary shock etc again (trek remedy)

i guess the RM is using the traditional modern geo..not the new progressive stuff like on the ransom. shrug.

mtbr member
    Carbon Sentinel to save some weight. i have ridden one shortly and got along just fine. These bikes just seem cheaply built to me.
    Congrats on the new Sentinel. Still think it's cheaply built?

mtbr member
    Fugitive LT owner here. There were a few things I was looking for in a mid travel 29er. Those things are: it has to be confortable/ fit well, easy to manual, and not beat the crap out of you on high speed chatter. The Fugitive delivers on all counts.

I am not completely sure how Noel did it, but the 135mm travel 29er easily matches my 150mm 27.5 Warden in rough high speed terrain. With only 5mm more travel it crushes the 27.5 Endorphin in the rough. (it is excellent everywhere else)

I have demoed a number of 29ers including the Ripmo and they all failed at least one of my main requirements. Yes I am a Knolly fan, but I would have been willing to purchase any of the 29ers I demoed if they passed the test.

2c.
    Portland Off Road Navagators