Moots v Desalvo...help me make my decision- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Moots v Desalvo...help me make my decision

Ive got the opportunity to purchase a used Moots Rigor Mooto-x or a new ti Desalvo frame with the D a bit cheaper but roughly the same price...The 22" Rigor is listed here in the classifieds.

Anyone have experience with either of the frames??? Ive owned a Moots road rig before and love the quality etc but I feel like they are old news. Ive spoken with Mike at NAHBS and over the phone a bit and he's top notch, and the frame looks killer....

I have ridden neither, nor will I get a chance to, but the geo suits me for both so I feel I cant go wrong either way...Something about the Moots keeps tugging at me and I love the wishbone stays, but the Desalvo is pretty sweet too...

What say you

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can't go wrong.

But I would get the DeSalvo!

mtbr member
    MOOTS we own three in our house last bike you'll ever own.

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

Personally...

I'd go with Kish. I tend to think of DeSalvo as Kish Light, or Kish Decaffeinated. Moots uses some outdated geometry, short top tubes and long chain stays, but they do typically have the prettiest welds I've every laid eyes on.
    Everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the priveledge.

30-ton War Machine
    No question, DeSalvo, almost a grand less and Mike is one of the best. I got nothing against Moots but, you can't compare them to DeSalvo.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Moots!
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

Fuji1971
    Apr 2010
    +1 Moots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Go with the Desalvo..

Quote Originally Posted by bykegnurd
    I'd go with Kish. I tend to think of DeSalvo as Kish Light, or Kish Decaffeinated. Moots uses some outdated geometry, short top tubes and long chain stays, but they do typically have the prettiest welds I've every laid eyes on.

Both great bikes. Not really a "bad" choice in either. Pick the one that captures your soul!

As for welds. Moots does great work but if you enjoy that kind of craftmanship. Take a look at a Steve Potts frame. His welds are truly beautiful.

Good luck with the decision.

Old, stale, negative
    Moots!

Certified Clyde

DeSalvo

I love my custom DeSalvo. Mike is a kickass guy, and I plug his work any chance I can. Definitely a fan for life.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

DeSalvo

go with the DeSalvo - he is a one man operation, so he personally builds your bike from raw tubes to completed frame (he builds wheels also if needed). Moots is a small company, but not a one man operation. Whenever multiple people are involved something is sacrificed in my opinion. And Mike is a friend of mine.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    All I can say is Mike gives you exactly what you ask for. Exactly.

On top of that, I got the impression he really cares about the product he puts out.

I'd order from him again in a nano-second.

jms
    mtbr member

They're Acquainted

I'd go with Kish. I tend to think of DeSalvo as Kish Light, or Kish Decaffeinated.
    Jim [Kish] and Mike [Desalvo] are acquainted with one another, and their work is comparable. I currently have a Kish 29er HT and CX bike - they're both wonderful bikes. I've also had three Moots over the years too.

For me, I see the choice being between custom [DeSalvo] and botique production [Moots]. I'd choose the DeSalvo for the opportunity have a bike that "fit" me perfectly.

mtbr member
    I would get the one that is made just for you and is cheaper to boot. Easy decision. DeSalvo all the way.

mtbr member
    Kish is awesome.

I beg to differ on the welds; his are the best in the industry. He does a double pass, which leaves in their wake the most prettiest singular joins. You won't do any swoopy tubes, but the geometry is beyond solid. All around, fantastic bikes.

Moots v Desalvo...help me make my decision-weld-2.jpg

If Moots or Desalvo, it must be Desalvo. The fact you get a bike tailored to your measures is enough to render this decision simple.
    Last edited by Climber999; 08-30-2010 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have heard that DeSalvo can be a bit, uh, inconsistent with delivering his frames on time. All his steel frames I have seen are darn purdy, though. If you are going Ti you should go with someone who does Ti as their main thing. I have seen a Strong Ti frame crack at a weld; I doubt you will see that with a Moots. If you really feel you need a custom frame to fit you, the Moots might not fit the bill. Maybe a steel Desalvo? I think Cyclepath in Portland has experience with both Moots and Desalvo, perhaps they might be of help?

I doubt you will regret buying either bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ti is his main thing

Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    I have heard that DeSalvo can be a bit, uh, inconsistent with delivering his frames on time. All his steel frames I have seen are darn purdy, though. If you are going Ti you should go with someone who does Ti as their main thing. I have seen a Strong Ti frame crack at a weld; I doubt you will see that with a Moots. If you really feel you need a custom frame to fit you, the Moots might not fit the bill. Maybe a steel Desalvo? I think Cyclepath in Portland has experience with both Moots and Desalvo, perhaps they might be of help?

Last I heard it was something like 90% of his frames he welds now are ti. So I would think that makes it his "main" material.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink

No biggie, but there plenty of reports on Moots cracking at the weld and necessitating repetitive mends. You can look them up on MTBR. Furthermore, some people carp about Moots frames being a bit noodly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I would get the one that is made just for you and is cheaper to boot. Easy decision. DeSalvo all the way.
    The Desalvo is already built and not spec'd for me but for someone with my same height and body dimensions, enough so that I could call it a semi-custom....The Desalvo is $1200 shipped to my door and the Moots ends up being about $250 more after I add in all the components that would come with the Moots...

I like the aspect of only Mikes hands touching the frame as compared to 13 or 14 sets, but I love the Moots finish and wishbone stay...Have to make a final call tomorrow....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Desalvo is $1200 and the Moots ends up being about $250 more when its all said and done...

mtbr member
    As previously mentioned, someone posted on this site, that he broke a Moots frame that he bought used and they (Moots) would not transfer the warranty. Therefore, if you break your Moots you're pretty much screwed. If that is in deed the case, I'd get the Desalvo. Not to mention, a custom spec is a pretty great thing.

I like wheelies
    If you see the build quality as a push, and the price difference isn't a factor, then it comes down to the fit. Since both frames are already built, consider how the specs are gonna effect your setup, and what sort of stem length and seat position each will call for. These variables will have more real-world impact on your rides than the lovely welds or flawless machine work.

BTW: I own a production geometry Moots road bike and made-to-measure Seven 29er, and the Moots is still the best I've encountered regarding visible build quality.

mtbr member
    To address a few points before:

- titanium is flexy, that's a pro, that's why people ride steel/ti
    - in a resell market, Moots wins, OP proves it with his question
    - and to answer the question, Moots.

however the points above: 1) warranty to original buyer 2) custom geometry are big pros and if you know you will not sell the bike forever, then desalvo over moots =)
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Ti is addictive
    Are you quite sure that it is a Titanium Desalvo you are being offered???? Twelve hundred bucks for a new Desalvo is unhead of even for a Demo frame........If it really is a New Ti one I would cut the cheque right now without thinking.

The only discounted Desalvo I have seen is a 1200 dollar steel frame.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

30-ton War Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    To address a few points before:

- titanium is flexy, that's a pro, that's why people ride steel/ti
    - in a resell market, Moots wins, OP proves it with his question
    - and to answer the question, Moots.

however the points above: 1) warranty to original buyer 2) custom geometry are big pros and if you know you will not sell the bike forever, then desalvo over moots =)
    Moots is a thousand dollars more than DeSalvo to start with so the reSALE market argument doesn't hold any water. I am confused as to whether the OP is talking about Ti or steel anymore, if you can find a used DeSalvo for 1200 dollars you better quit typing on your keyboard and start writing the check for the frame dude!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Its definitely Ti brother!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customsteel
    Than what are you waiting for????

Buy the Desalvo already!

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by customsteel
    Then why are you waiting and asking advice for......Buy the Desalvo.....or post your Height, weight and where you are getting the frame from and someone else will help with your decision
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    I have both and if I were to go again it would be a DeSalvo, due to his willingness to build you what you want. Moots has a tendency to say no. But Moots are a fine bike and if that is what you like then by all means get it. Geo. & Fit should be your number one consideration.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch98
    I love my custom DeSalvo. Mike is a kickass guy, and I plug his work any chance I can. Definitely a fan for life.
    I had Mike build me a road bike in '08 and it's the nicest bike I've lifted a leg over. I feel guilty riding it. I also plug his work wherever possible. I bought a DeSalvo and no regrets. I also know I'll own it for the rest of my life.

Members who have read this thread: 0