Thread: Moots Baxter

mtbr member

Moots Baxter

Been searching the forum for a thread on this bike. What are peoples thoughts?

Moderator Moderator
    Baxter 29'' - Moots

Linky above because I was not familiar with it.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Neither was I. It's gorgeous. Unfortunately I have Sutra Ltd wallet dimensions.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I guess I should have done that.

Moots Baxter-baxter.jpg
    Last edited by Speed King; 11-07-2016 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Read the rundown on the website. Left me wondering if this is a Di2-only frame. Don't see any cable stops on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironacct View Post
    Read the rundown on the website. Left me wondering if this is a Di2-only frame. Don't see any cable stops on there.
    I am certain that Di2 is an OPTION. Moots' specialty is made to order customized frames. You can get all kinds of braze-ons or none at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I am certain that Di2 is an OPTION. Moots' specialty is made to order customized frames. You can get all kinds of braze-ons or none at all.
    I'm sure you're right. After thinking about it a little more, I suppose they weren't keen on showing it built up mechanical using the adapters needed to make STI shifters work with MTB derailleurs (e.g. Shiftmate, TanPan, etc.), which some folks might find a little goofy--not that they don't work great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had several drop-bar 29er setups over the years and put a lot of miles on them. But the Baxter is pretty much exactly what I've had in mind all along. Anyway, I ended up taking the plunge and ordered the frameset. Picked it up from the shop yesterday and got it built last night. I'll offer some thoughts on it after I get a few rides in.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've had several drop-bar 29er setups over the years and put a lot of miles on them. But the Baxter is pretty much exactly what I've had in mind all along. Anyway, I ended up taking the plunge and ordered the frameset. Picked it up from the shop yesterday and got it built last night. I'll offer some thoughts on it after I get a few rides in.
    I'm really liking this bike. I have a chance to get a Salsa Timberjack Ti (by far the cheapest option), but other options are this or a custom Firefly. What are your thoughts on the ride? Comfy? How do you think it would it handle single track/trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been thinking about adding some thoughts to this string, but this one pretty much nails it. Most of my riding is very similar to what Mat describes. A few additional thoughts, though:

1) Comfort. Ti frame combined with the Enve fork set in the longer trail position, it's a magic carpet ride on gravel and moderate singletrack I've ridden. I haven't ventured into too many rock gardens, but there it's about what you'd expect from a rigid setup. On gravel, I'm really impressed with the way the fork and frame gobbles up nasty washboards. For long mixed terrain rides, it's all-day comfortable.

2) Handling. I'm not a super trail shredder or descender, but I've been surprised at the amount of confidence I've felt on trails and bombing down some of the twisty forest roads in our area. I've found I prefer being in the drops in both situations.

3) Versatility. I looked at other drop bar bikes with clearance for MTB tires, but decided I'd rather have 29er wheels/rubber with the option to go smaller rather than a bike designed around 700c "gravel" tires with the option to run 650b tires. There's no scenario in which I'd consider buying a 650b hardtail that only accommodates 2.1" tires, so why would I want a drop bar version of that with minimal mud clearance? I also planned all along to run an MTB drivetrain, so the 73mm BB wasn't a factor (FWIW, I'm using an XT 3x10 setup with Ultegra 6703 STI shifters--works flawlessly with a Jtek Shiftmate). I'm currently running Crossmax wheels with 2.25 RR front, Thunder Burt rear with no complaints. I have not wanted for more speed, grip or cushion so far, so maybe that's about right. Once the snow melts, I look forward to getting throwing the wider wheels from my MTB on here with 2.4/2.2 Ardents and hitting some chunkier stuff up in the high country.

Ok, getting wordy...to wrap up, there is really only one potential drawback I'd draw attention to--toe overlap. I'm 5'10" with size 10 shoes and ride a medium frame with 170mm crank arms. My toes just touch the front wheel in tight turns, but it's not been an issue for me. For someone with larger feet and/or longer cranks looking at a frame in small or medium, that may be something you want to vet before pulling the trigger. My guess is that large and above would be ok given the longer top tube.

Otherwise, I've been loving my Baxter. It's a dream bike really, as it's been a nearly perfect setup for the niche of riding I do and enjoy most.

Moots Baxter-baxter.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've been thinking about adding some thoughts to this string, but this one pretty much nails it. Most of my riding is very similar to what Mat describes. A few additional thoughts, though:

1) Comfort. Ti frame combined with the Enve fork set in the longer trail position, it's a magic carpet ride on gravel and moderate singletrack I've ridden. I haven't ventured into too many rock gardens, but there it's about what you'd expect from a rigid setup. On gravel, I'm really impressed with the way the fork and frame gobbles up nasty washboards. For long mixed terrain rides, it's all-day comfortable.

2) Handling. I'm not a super trail shredder or descender, but I've been surprised at the amount of confidence I've felt on trails and bombing down some of the twisty forest roads in our area. I've found I prefer being in the drops in both situations.

3) Versatility. I looked at other drop bar bikes with clearance for MTB tires, but decided I'd rather have 29er wheels/rubber with the option to go smaller rather than a bike designed around 700c "gravel" tires with the option to run 650b tires. There's no scenario in which I'd consider buying a 650b hardtail that only accommodates 2.1" tires, so why would I want a drop bar version of that with minimal mud clearance? I also planned all along to run an MTB drivetrain, so the 73mm BB wasn't a factor (FWIW, I'm using an XT 3x10 setup with Ultegra 6703 STI shifters--works flawlessly with a Jtek Shiftmate). I'm currently running Crossmax wheels with 2.25 RR front, Thunder Burt rear with no complaints. I have not wanted for more speed, grip or cushion so far, so maybe that's about right. Once the snow melts, I look forward to getting throwing the wider wheels from my MTB on here with 2.4/2.2 Ardents and hitting some chunkier stuff up in the high country.

Ok, getting wordy...to wrap up, there is really only one potential drawback I'd draw attention to--toe overlap. I'm 5'10" with size 10 shoes and ride a medium frame with 170mm crank arms. My toes just touch the front wheel in tight turns, but it's not been an issue for me. For someone with larger feet and/or longer cranks looking at a frame in small or medium, that may be something you want to vet before pulling the trigger. My guess is that large and above would be ok given the longer top tube.

Otherwise, I've been loving my Baxter. It's a dream bike really, as it's been a nearly perfect setup for the niche of riding I do and enjoy most.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baxter.jpg 
Views:	1616 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	1136674
    Thank you so much for that! Yours looks beautiful too. I'm more and more confident this is the one. I'm also 5'10" with big feet, so I'll look into the large frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iím deciding between the Route 45 and the Baxter. Iím leaning towards the Baxter.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Iím deciding between the Route 45 and the Baxter. Iím leaning towards the Baxter.
    FWIW, I considered the Routt 45, too, but chose the Baxter as I thought it better suited to the terrain I ride most often. That said, I've also done 100 milers with it on a mix of asphalt/gravel, too, and it's been a joy. I figured with the Baxter I could always use a smaller tire like a Compass Snoqualmie Pass, but wouldn't have the option of going larger than that with the Routt 45. Almost two years in, the Baxter is still my favorite bike of all time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I figured with the Baxter I could always use a smaller tire like a Compass Snoqualmie Pass, but wouldn't have the option of going larger than that with the Routt 45. Almost two years in, the Baxter is still my favorite bike of all time.
    I have had my Baxter for 2 months now and still get all starry eyed when I am riding it. I had the same thoughts as above, would rather a bike that can fit 2.2 inch tires with the option of sizing down. I went with a custom Di2 build using XTR parts and it is just so slick. Both the Routt 45 and the Baxter are great bikes but the Baxter is a step beyond in terms of capability and why I love it so much.