Monstercross Drivetrain Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Monstercross Drivetrain Questions

I'm currently getting a custom do-it-all monstercrossish frame built from scratch. What I'm trying to figure out is what type of drive train is common.

I'm a big fan of SRAM and currently have it on my road and mountain bike but I don't see how I'll be able to run bar end shifters with their drive train. Do most folks end up running Shimano components?

What is a common cassette/crank combo? This bike will see mostly gravel grinders with some single track use both loaded and unloaded so I was looking for a pretty versatile drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you use 10spd they have bar end shifters. You could just run friction as well. I like Shimano stuff though. I went IGH with mine but I might convert it to SS.

mtbr member
    I gave this a bit of thought one month ago when I built up my new Fargo and came to the conclusion that a 10 speed road drive train would not give a low enough gear. I settled for a Shimano Mtb 9-speed drive train, which I already happened to have lying around, with STI shifters. The barend shifters would not be good enough for our local trails, since they are technical enough to need a good grip for most of the time and not being able to shift would mean always using the wrong gear, just like on a singlespeed. I got the Fargo for offroad adventure use, which also means some occasional technical singletrack.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was running a 10 speed road cassette with a mountain triple crank on my Quiring monstercross and I gave me everything I needed (until I did a swapped to a MTB 9 rear for Iceman). The SRAM TT bar ends are really nice, and there are even Thumbies made for them. They seem less vague than the Shimano 9 speed bar end shifters. There is only one rule when it come to a monster crosser- there are no rules. Play, experiment, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running Shimano on mine. 9-sp bar end shifters (actually mounted with Thumbies) with an 11-32 XT cassette and a Truvativ Elita 36/48T crankset. I started with an LX trekking crankset (24/36/48 or something like that) for some touring, but ended up not touring, so I switched to the CX crankset. I run the front D friction while the back is indexed. Setup works great for me.
    Enjoy the ride!

bike geek
    I have put a lot of thought into a monstercross drivetrain and here's what I came up with:

Campy Chorus Ergo 10spd shifters (have them on my road bike, love them)
    XTR 9spd rear der w/JTEK shiftmate #2 to make the shifters & der play well together
    XT 11-32 cassette
    SRAM Rival compact cranks

We'll see how it all works together. My frame comes in a few weeks, and although it's going to start life as a SS crosser, I have these parts ready if I ever want to put gears on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've experimented with a bazillion drivetrain setups since 1997 but have currently settled on a Rival 10spd drivetrain with XX rear der and cassette and Dura-Ace chain. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what's a good off road SS gear for a monster cross build w/ 45c tires? im thinking like 38x20 or 21..
    what do you guys use?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xtomx
    what's a good off road SS gear for a monster cross build w/ 45c tires? im thinking like 38x20 or 21..
    what do you guys use?
    Probably depends on the terrain and the commute to the trail, no?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My Fargo is set-up as a shimano 1x9 w/XTR rear der, 11-34 cassette., 737XT cranks w/ 32 tooth ring and a Pauls chainguide. I "do" ride lots of technical single track and for me the single dura ace bar-end shifter works great.
    Last edited by N10S; 01-30-2010 at 05:16 PM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by unsub1
    I've experimented with a bazillion drivetrain setups since 1997 but have currently settled on a Rival 10spd drivetrain with XX rear der and cassette and Dura-Ace chain. So far so good.
    I like the idea of that and the photos you've posted elsewhere, I just need to find one of the derailleurs and cassettes hiding under my sofa

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I like the idea of that and the photos you've posted elsewhere, I just need to find one of the derailleurs and cassettes hiding under my sofa
    Yeah, seriously. When I built the bike up in 2008, I did so knowing XX would eventually be on the way and that it would be compatible with Rival, so I was kind of committing myself to the XX stuff at that time. The 12-27 on there was unbearable on super-steep singletrack, even with the compact crankset so I was relieved when the XX stuff finally came out, but holy baby jesus it's expensive. That was the only case of buyer's remorse I've had in years...until I rode it. Soooooooo nice. The 36/34 gear combo is really similar to the XTR 34/32 combo I had ridden on my Willits Monstercross 1x9 in the past. Anyway, yeah.

Members who have read this thread: 1