Monster Cross: Monster Qball- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Monster Cross: Monster Qball

My Qball has been my trusty steed for the past three years. I have done just about everything on the bike and now that I am going to build up another 29er, it's time to try something new, so over the weekend I turned the Qball into the Monster Crosser.

First step of my monster cross conversion is complete! It's an SSer right now but I just got a barcon and a rear der to make it the perfect Gravel Grinder racer.

More pics can be seen here: Monster Qball.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice! How do you like it in monster form?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It takes some getting used to when on the trail, especially trying to keep your weight back and still have your hands on the brakes.

mtbr member
    From the angle of that photo it looks like you could benefit from having the bars up a little bit higher than they currently are
    Last edited by MMcG; 09-15-2009 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have been playing around with the angle of the drops.

mtbr member
    I'm in the process of doing something kinda similar to my VooDoo dambala--though not really "monster-cross" as much as "pull-the-kid-around-in-a-trailer-on-dirt-and-asphalt; make-a-run-to-the-groceries; still-hit-a-trail-here-and-there" sorta rig.

What kinda tires are you running? I couldn't gleam enough info from the pics to be sure...

I was thinking about going something like a kenda karma 1.9. I hated the karma 2.2's on singletrack (washout-city), but on fireroad/hardpack/asphalt they worked well. Or maybe true cross tires...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECOdork
    I'm in the process of doing something kinda similar to my VooDoo dambala--though not really "monster-cross" as much as "pull-the-kid-around-in-a-trailer-on-dirt-and-asphalt; make-a-run-to-the-groceries; still-hit-a-trail-here-and-there" sorta rig.

What kinda tires are you running? I couldn't gleam enough info from the pics to be sure...

I was thinking about going something like a kenda karma 1.9. I hated the karma 2.2's on singletrack (washout-city), but on fireroad/hardpack/asphalt they worked well. Or maybe true cross tires...
    What about the panaracer firecross?

mtbr member
    Good idea, there're on my shortlist.
    I figure I'd re-evaluate things by trying to wear-out those karma 2.2's again. That way I'll know what I do and don't like about the setup and see where to make changes.

Just philosophizing here, but I think (or maybe it's that I hope) we're on the verge of seeing more tires to fit this "monster-cross" category of 29'er touring bikes ala the Salsa Fargo. A little wider than cross tires but narrower than dH bombers. Versatile thread design.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    What about the panaracer firecross?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Right now I am running 2.3 Exiwolf upfront and a Bonti 2.2 but these are going over to the new bike and I will be running nano raptors and gears for an upcoming gravel grinder ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0