CS2
    mtbr member

Monsstercross Question

If we go by the definition that a Monstercross bike is basically a cyclocross bike with room for really huge tires and not a drop bar 29er. If you put a flat or riser bar on it can it still be a Monstercross? In the absolutely fabulous thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-...ss-355649.html most of the bikes are drop bar. Just asking.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Doesn't really matter. Just ride your bike. Drop-bar Mountain Bike, Cyclocross Bike, Monstercross, whatever, they're all just sub-genres of sub-genres.

If you put a flat bar on a cyclocross bike, is it still a cyclocross bike? Who cares?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Have to agree with the concept of - who cares, just have fun riding a bike.

Just for the record, my simplest definition of a monstercross is a drop-bar mountain bike.

Frame angles, tire clearance and longer wheelbase are mtb based. A cyclocross frame will normally have angles, tire clearance and wheelbase more closely associated with road specs.

Before the arguments start- these comments are very general and there are many variations of what people ride and and have fun with.

Ride safe!
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    If we go by the definition that a Monstercross bike is basically a cyclocross bike with room for really huge tires and not a drop bar 29er. If you put a flat or riser bar on it can it still be a Monstercross? In the absolutely fabulous thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-...ss-355649.html most of the bikes are drop bar. Just asking.
    I couldn't help but notice your a Waterford fan. I just got a 2200 and couldn't be happier. Anyway, the two previous posts are bang on imo. The drop bar just makes things a little more fun/challenging in technical situations.

Leg Shaver
    All the humanistic hogwash patronizing answers aside allow me to answer the question in your post because to me you gave no indication that you were not having fun.

good question I'd say its a monster cross bike with drops and a mountain bike with flats or risers

if its a 26 its a mountain bike regardless
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoats View Post
    I couldn't help but notice your a Waterford fan. I just got a 2200 and couldn't be happier. Anyway, the two previous posts are bang on imo. The drop bar just makes things a little more fun/challenging in technical situations.
    Actually, the RSE is a canti equipped bike that takes 38C tires. I've got it set up now more like a roadie. I was thinking about ditching the triple and going to a CT double and making it more dirt worthy.

2200's are really nice. My 1200, the bike that preceded yours is 753. Supposedly 853 is stronger and approximately a pound lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Actually, the RSE is a canti equipped bike that takes 38C tires. I've got it set up now more like a roadie. I was thinking about ditching the triple and going to a CT double and making it more dirt worthy.

2200's are really nice. My 1200, the bike that preceded yours is 753. Supposedly 853 is stronger and approximately a pound lighter.

The yellow looks great. I"m running Campi as well. They now use TrueTemper OX2 Platinum instead of the Reynolds. The 2200 with Chorus11 comes in at 20 lbs. Not bad for a lugged steel frame and fork.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoats View Post
    The yellow looks great. I"m running Campi as well. They now use TrueTemper OX2 Platinum instead of the Reynolds. The 2200 with Chorus11 comes in at 20 lbs. Not bad for a lugged steel frame and fork.
    20 lbs isn't bad for an AL bike. I found a NOS Daytona 10 sp group in 06 and put it on. It was nice but the best thing I did was getting the Zonda wheelset. I'm now a believer that really good wheels make a bigger difference than derailleurs or shifters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yep that's essentially what it is on the surface plus a set of dirt drops. People will argue otherwise, but it's a critical component that will make the bike handle better off road by a ton.

Drop bars on mountain bikes goes back to the early 80s and really only on forums do you seem them called monster cross. They've always been called drop bar mountain bikes and still are everywhere else. Just look at Salsa's Fargo, they even called it that. Go check out The Radavist and such they always refer to them as drop bar mountain bikes as well.

Tire size that is monster cross specific is 38-45. The whole concept was something that was more capable than a standard cross bike and more nimble than a mountain bike. yeah, it's specific but that's why you don't see the industry pushing it...they want you to buy more bikes. Hell they need you too.

check out monster cross news on fb that's the only real channel on the net regarding the genre that gets it. thank Handbuilt bicycle guide published a story on it not long ago setting it straight and just saw one on cx magazine that does as well.