Monocog 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Monocog 29er

Hi, I have searched and searched all over the forum for my next question and could not find one so I hope this is not a re-thread.

I have a Monocog 29er that I want to convert to a 1x9. Most of the suggestions I found here is to go with the DMR chain tug with a derailleur hanger. The only thing I don't like about this one is because I have to realign the wheel everytime I take the wheel off.
    To eliminate this problem, can I use the derailleur hanger that is made for SC Chameleon with the horizontal dropout? http://derailleurhanger.com/dh284.php Anybody in here tried this method?

The only reason why I want to convert this is to geared bike instead of SS is because I had a knee surgery before and riding SS puts a toll on my knee.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Donno. You still might want one that had a tug nut on it. I got one for a old Monocog I had while back that had a tugnut on it along with a hanger. Though, I did have to take a drimel to it and grind down some of the material so it would fit in the dropout. But it looks like that company is out of business.

I had the DMR one, and after I set the tug nuts, I didn't have to realign much. My disc was in line and everything worked.

Apr 2007
    You may want to check on how much it would be to weld on a hanger. Shouldn't be too much at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    You may want to check on how much it would be to weld on a hanger. Shouldn't be too much at all.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to talk to my lbs to see if they are able or know a shop that is able to do this. But I really think that adding a hanger would be cheaper, but I am going to check my lbs first to get them weld on to the frame. I believe surly makes a hanger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus
    Donno. You still might want one that had a tug nut on it. I got one for a old Monocog I had while back that had a tugnut on it along with a hanger. Though, I did have to take a drimel to it and grind down some of the material so it would fit in the dropout. But it looks like that company is out of business.

I had the DMR one, and after I set the tug nuts, I didn't have to realign much. My disc was in line and everything worked.
    Yeah the DMR is what every one is using to convert to geared. I'm going to check and see if my lbs have that one or the chameleon one and see which ones works better. What are you using to route the cables?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If anyone here used the Chameleon ones let me know how it works please.

Members who have read this thread: 0