Monocog 29er 1x9?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Monocog 29er 1x9?

I'm not sure if it's possible, but for future upgrades I was wondering if it is even possible to convert the SS to a 1x9 or something else in the future.

On the road I find this bike to be pretty slow :\

Candlestick Maker
    I use mine with an Alfine 8 speed IGH hub sometimes. For cable routing, I just zip tie the full length housing to the frame in a few spots.

As far as a regular 9 speed drive train, you might be able to use one of those bolt-on derailleur hangers that work with horizontal dropouts. I have one sitting in my toolbox, but have never tried to use it.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge regarding MTB in general (this is my first bike), but around how much would it cost to do this?

8 speed would be fine as well. Honestly, the stock gearing is great on the trails I ride, but when I am riding around my block the bike seems to not want to go over 10mph (according to GPS) and I am spinning at 103832930284 RPM.

I've already started a savings to get a different bike as well, but for now this is what I have to work with

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaveup
    how much would it cost to do this?
    At least $150. You will need a new rear wheel, derailiuer hanger, derailiuer, shifter, cable with housing, a chain, and a cassette. A bash guard and a jump stop would not hurt either to keep the chain from coming off the front ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Try switching COG's. I routinely change from 32:20 -> 32:18 --> 32:16 depending on where I'm riding. Change-out takes about 10 min and the brakes pad centering is the longest part of it. If you have disk brakes maybe it would take a little longer...

Or sell the bike and go D440
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I don't mind switching out the cogs before I go to the trails. Just no idea how that's done yet or what gear would be good for street riding.

I plan on get a hardtail geared 29er in a few months so this is more in the meantime type of thing...well and the future since I will be keeping the monocog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you have a newer monocog it should have slider dropouts. In this case you can buy a new dropout from redline and hang the derailleur on that.

picture to show what im talking about.
    https://media.photobucket.com/image/...805_367567.jpg

mtbr member
    The regular monocog does not have sliders, that is the Flight.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

ballbuster

Sure

Quote Originally Posted by gaveup
    I'm not sure if it's possible, but for future upgrades I was wondering if it is even possible to convert the SS to a 1x9 or something else in the future.

On the road I find this bike to be pretty slow :\
    I got a simple bolt-on derailleur hangar off amazon.com for like $6. It bolts up under the track nut. Easy peasy.

I tried this, but had trouble getting the front derailleur to mount up and work, so I dumped the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Index...7363165&sr=8-2

*edit*

Oh, and if you get a Shimano rear hub (the older ones, at least) you can replace the rear QR axle with a solid axle for around $10-15 or so. That way, you can use track nuts.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-10-2011 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    How about making it a Dinglespeed? Run your offroad ring on the inside of the spider and your street ring on the outside. Same with the cogs in the rear. If you have a threaded rear hub, WI makes a dual cog called the dingle (?) with combos of 17/19 & 15/17 I believe. If your ring/cog combos add up to the same amount of teeth, you can run the same length chain and switch ratios just by dropping your rear wheel and switching the chain over.
    Ex: 32/19 = 34/17 OR 34/17 = 36/15

Then you won't need a new rear wheel, shifter, derailleur, hanger, and have to eff around with the whole shebang.

If your rear hub takes splined cogs, grab a pair of surly cogs and mount them with the shoulders facing each other and use spacers accordingly to get your chainline straight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr
    The regular monocog does not have sliders, that is the Flight.
    good catch man. I didnt know that.

Members who have read this thread: 0