mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Is a Mongoose XR Pro a piece of crap?

Hey there! I live in Massachusetts, Iím usually a roadie but my buddies in grad school mountain bike a lot so I thought Iíd upgrade a bit. Iíve got great stamina and Iím light weight so I donít mind pushing a heavy bike around.

my real question is, is an XR Pro a decent, cheap, entry level bike? I have a specialized hardrock with the base Suntour suspension that Iíve pushed to the point that nothing works and I wanted to get a bike that I could grow into and upgrade better.

I dont care care about being good, but Iíd like to be decent enough to keep up with my buddies in cross country and occasional moderate trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haramassive View Post
    Hey there! I live in Massachusetts, Iím usually a roadie but my buddies in grad school mountain bike a lot so I thought Iíd upgrade a bit. Iíve got great stamina and Iím light weight so I donít mind pushing a heavy bike around.

my real question is, is an XR Pro a decent, cheap, entry level bike? I have a specialized hardrock with the base Suntour suspension that Iíve pushed to the point that nothing works and I wanted to get a bike that I could grow into and upgrade better.

I dont care care about being good, but Iíd like to be decent enough to keep up with my buddies in cross country and occasional moderate trails.
    Back back in the day was a good Bikes but today is a mass production ,not any finesse these days. I believe itís more easy if you propose a budget in mind to see what anybody came with. Myself believe in put it together with I believe is gone work for me and look in ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If that is your budget, I would try to find something used. If you can spend more, look at real bikes.

Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000 - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Yeah. The Mongoose XR Pro is a piece of crap. No FS bike in the price range is going to be any good what so ever. If it needs to be cheap, look for a decent used hard tail.
    Do the math.

Bikesexual
    This guy reviews all those bikes, I would pass!

https://youtu.be/UeFdImG_yQo

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes! total POS! run away! Mongoose made some decent bikes here and there, but mostly they build wal-mart junk. I don't think they've built anything sub 30 pounds since the early 90s. The last decent one I remember was a steel frame with XT, that was probably '94.
    It sounds like you need a decent hardtail 29er. For lower price, look at aluminum Stumpjumpers and Scotts. You're probably going to have to spend $600+ used to get something decent.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    It is sad.. in 80's Mongoose was pretty good. By the late 90's they began to slide. I bought a nice entry level Mongoose HT back at LBS in 1998. Nothing super fancy, but totally ride able anywhere. I rode that all over including Moab. However even then Mongoose was going downhill and not in a good way. There were a few more years and Mongoose Pro was their top line, but even that went away. Really too bad. Good brand ruined by Walmart and cheap crap.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    i agree with,,,
    If it needs to be cheap, look for a decent used hard tail.
    a 29 HT is a great do it all bike. Better to choose quality over new in my experience.