Mongoose Deception 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mongoose Deception 29er

Hello everyone,

I just picked up the Wall-Mart mongoose last week and love it, its quite a nifty little bike for starters like me, only thing is I hate the front fork doesn't seem to be vary sturdy to me, I know their upgradeable does anyone have any suggestions on a decent fork that I can get on the cheep that would be a good match for this bike? or should i just ride this bike till it falls apart and move up into a bike that doesn't come from a giant box store.

Much obliged,

Pickle

AZ
    banned

Bicycle Addict
    Anything rigid would be better than that spring loaded "suspension" it has. Start looking on Craigslist or Ebay for steel forks. Also make sure you get something that's suspension corrected. Or just take it back to Wally World and save up for a decent entry level.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should be able to pick up a RS Dart 3 for under $100 off ebay. It's actually just an OK fork, but would be a HUGE upgrade from what is on the bike now. If your mainly riding on the street, then a rigid Surly or Redline fork would also work quite well and could be had for less than $50 on ebay.

mtbr member
    Why get a Dart 3 ( the Darts I have seen on flea bay seem to be $120 to $140) when you can get a Rockshox+Tora+Sl+Solo+Air+Fork+Oe
    at JensonUSA a lot of "fork" but transferable to a new bike or very salable later on. Just make sure the steerer tube is long enough.

Otherwise go the steel fork upgrade route.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pickle
    Hello everyone,

I just picked up the Wall-Mart mongoose last week and love it, its quite a nifty little bike for starters like me, only thing is I hate the front fork doesn't seem to be vary sturdy to me, I know their upgradeable does anyone have any suggestions on a decent fork that I can get on the cheep that would be a good match for this bike? or should i just ride this bike till it falls apart and move up into a bike that doesn't come from a giant box store.

Much obliged,

Pickle

Pickle, what do you consider "cheap"? With new Reba and Fox forks going for $500 - 700, I guess anything around $200 - $300 would be "cheap".

You can swap out that BB with a low end Shimano cartridge BB for $5 or $6 bucks while you are at it.

BB

Bicycle Addict
    Name:  FlyingPickleSectGraph.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  25.8 KB
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    My cheap is exactly what it sounds like Bruce, as a poor colloege student I've only got about 100 bucks to play with every couple weeks! The RS Dart 3's look like a good option at this point.

Mitzikatzi the Toras look like their made to fit a 26" bike, Would they fit a 29er with a bit of droop? And would that effect their overall performance?

Thanks
    Pickle

mtbr member
    My cheap is exactly what it sounds like Bruce, as a poor colloege student I've only got about 100 bucks to play with every couple weeks! The RS Dart 3's look like a good option at this point.

Mitzikatzi the Toras look like their made to fit a 26" bike, Would they fit a 29er with a bit of droop? And would that effect their overall performance?

Thanks
    Pickle
    Yes my mistake they are for a 26 inch bike No they won't work on a 29er
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Always Learning
    What's the travel on the stock fork? Not sure what the frame is optimized for in terms of fork travel - 63mm, 80mm, 100mm? Probably an 80mm travel fork to replace the stock fork would be the way to go.

Look in the classifieds here at MTBR for 29"er forks. Or on eBay. You might find an older model used 29"er fork that works perfectly fine going for a good price. Going rigid is an option as well.

BB

mtbr member
    Just as I suspected, took the bike out today and after a few hills the shock bottomed out on a climb instantly giving me a pinch flat... Hooray!
    being the rookie I am Of course I didn't carry any tubes with me!!! Shes a heavy beast to hike back out from the far side of the trail! 5mi back to the car!!!
    I think Im gonna go tubeless now and carry a few spares on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Pickle, what do you consider "cheap"? With new Reba and Fox forks going for $500 - 700, I guess anything around $200 - $300 would be "cheap".

You can swap out that BB with a low end Shimano cartridge BB for $5 or $6 bucks while you are at it.

BB
    I know this is an old thread but whatever. The day I spend $500-$700 on forks is the day I consider myself one of 4 things: wealthy, divorced and financially reckless, a passionate lover of bikes and nothing else or a biker making decent money from biking. Right now I do not fit into any of these categories. $150 for an "entry level" fork is going to be a long pain in the ass for me to come up with. It will be months before I can spare that, if not a year. I want to ride the hills man. Tell me about catastrophic failures on $150 forks and I will give you a shiny nickel.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Keep an eye on ebay for a used fork with the right steerer tube length. $100 or less. I put a White Bros 2005 BW1.0 on and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud8a View Post
    I know this is an old thread but whatever. The day I spend $500-$700 on forks is the day I consider myself one of 4 things: wealthy, divorced and financially reckless, a passionate lover of bikes and nothing else or a biker making decent money from biking.
    Pfff... my low bank account would beg to differ. It's called saving and planning. I just bought a White Brothers Loop 29er fork and it is simply the best for I've ever had... and I've ran a SID and a Reba before. Good components are always worth the price. Plus made in the USA is always a good call, and your not supporting someone in Taiwan (even though they do make good stuff).

Anyway... don't hate on people who can manage to save.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Pfff... my low bank account would beg to differ. It's called saving and planning. I just bought a White Brothers Loop 29er fork and it is simply the best for I've ever had... and I've ran a SID and a Reba before. Good components are always worth the price. Plus made in the USA is always a good call, and your not supporting someone in Taiwan (even though they do make good stuff).

Anyway... don't hate on people who can manage to save.
    I am not hating. The forks still cost $500-$700 even if you plan and save for it. It is not the affordability, it is the fact that if I don't fit in my 4 above mentioned categories I do not have any business owning forks that expensive.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST

Members who have read this thread: 0