Molehills.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: Molehills.

  1. #1
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940

    Molehills.

    Some (barely!) moving pixels from the last trip Skippy and I took down to SW Utah.

    <object width="900" height="506"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9181655&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=ff9933&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9181655&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=ff9933&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="900" height="506"></embed></object>

    The trail is Guacamole, located near Rockville. Zion NP wraps wide-screen around you as you ride. We knew the trail was short so we spent lots of time sessioning some freshly imagineered moves throughout the day.

    We're both riding 6" travel LenzSport LunchBoxes. Skippy has a fondness for Bontrager FR-3 tires while you'll have to pry the WTB Dissents from my cold, dead fingers.

    All pixels captured with a Canon SX200IS. No doubt you'll notice that the lens is badly scratched. When *I* finally noticed this I retired the camera.

    Which, of course, means new camera time!

    Cheers,

    MC

  2. #2
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,531
    Now that's more like it. The last step up is huge - makes me want to practice, though I think a 4" Sultan might be undergunned a bit for that terrain (not to mention the pilot).
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,797

    Nice,

    To bad that 6in bike had to make that ALOT harder than it needed to be....A hardtail would of been a one shot deal...The second part of that first rock stunt however is a different story, that just looks like a tuff up period...props to you on the second part of that first rock stunt..well done.......CF.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bobbotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,305
    Yeeeesh, you guys have skill!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,090
    That last gap/step up is huge.... not to mention the downhill pointing approach. Nicely done.

  6. #6
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,650
    Nice way to spend the afternoon. I wish we has some more terrain closer that was like that. I love just playing around like that.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

  7. #7
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Fun.

    Appropriate use of slo-mo.

    Gap climbing falls on rocks are unpleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  8. #8
    dreamer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56
    Well done. I always look forward to seeing a post from you, it get's the fire stoked in me. Thanks for pushing the 29'r

  9. #9
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    cool vid of one of my fav playgrounds....
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    106
    Fun Stuff. Damn those are some big gaps. Love the ending. I bet those bikes are looking a bit abused. Interesteing to see the different techniques between yourself and Skippy. I've been to that neck of the woods quite a bit and this last Oct discovered the Guacamole trail for the first. Like Goosberry, a spectacular place to camp (but no services so be prepared and respectful). Its only about 200' from the Zion NP boundary. It's a good place for any skill level to practice. My 7yo daughter and my wife were riding on the slickrock while I played around on everything else. That road up to the trail can be a *****, did you have to ride up? I will be going back soon.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    53
    Ah yeah, these videos from you are soo good. Thanks for the entertainment!

  12. #12
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    To bad that 6in bike had to make that ALOT harder than it needed to be....A hardtail would of been a one shot deal...
    You're such a hopelessly (hopefully?) confused toolbox that it just makes me smile. In confusion. I think.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    95
    Mikesee wanted to get some more info on those tires your are using. Do you use them in all conditions and terrrain types? HOLY CRAP 3.4 lbs each!!! Any other thoughts advice on them? I currently run ardent up from and ignitor in back. Anyone know if there would be a clearance issue with a 2010 RIP9? or fox fork? Thanks
    Pat

  14. #14
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by pat_martin
    Mikesee wanted to get some more info on those tires your are using. Do you use them in all conditions and terrrain types? HOLY CRAP 3.4 lbs each!!! Any other thoughts advice on them? I currently run ardent up from and ignitor in back. Anyone know if there would be a clearance issue with a 2010 RIP9? or fox fork? Thanks
    Pat
    Not sure where you got those numbers? I've got ~12 Dissents here and they're all under 1300g, so ~2.8# per tire. Not meant for XC/weight weenie's worried about covering ground.

    I use them full time on my 6" and 7" bikes. Longest ride I've done on them was ~6 hours. Most rides are on them are closer to 3 hours. I'm (clearly) not really worried about average speed or miles covered, more interested in having as much traction as possible and as little chance of flatting as possible. That's where the Dissents shine.

    Not much comparison between these and an Ardent/Ignitor. Dissent should fit fine in your frame, no idea about the fork though.

    Cheers,

    MC

  15. #15
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Wi-KED mike- lovelovelovelove IT!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    898
    Love your vids!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fallzboater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    919
    Couldn't you just have ridden around those rocks? I don't get it.

    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    329
    Great vid Mike,
    Although it does make me wonder about the sanity of buying a used bike from you!
    Barry

  19. #19
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashCanipe
    Great vid Mike,
    Although it does make me wonder about the sanity of buying a used bike from you!
    Barry
    Used lightly, and only on days ending in "y"...


  20. #20
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Great vid of some sweet riding. Thanks mikesee!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,797

    Confused Mike? Well, we can't have that now can we,

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    You're such a hopelessly (hopefully?) confused toolbox that it just makes me smile. In confusion. I think.
    Confused about what? Over all Mike I was actually giving you props for what I thought was some pretty cool stuff...I did however feel that because you brought a machine gun to a spit ball fight (you know hiding behind a long travel bike as always) that it REALLY showed in the first part of the video...Hate to break it to you big boy if your going to continue to take pictures and or shoot video of yourself EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU RIDE YOUR BIKE, your going to have to understand that not EVERYONE is going to swing from your nuts and give you the much needed comments you clearly seek like "WOW Mike, that was the coolest thing EVER, Man I wish I could do that..Gee Mikey your my hero, please post up more videos of you and your wonderful bike skills.... Talking about "Confused" all you had to say after reading my reply was (if you really felt the need to respond) "Hey CF glad you like the video but I disagree with you about your one shot hardtail comments" Anyway I'll just sit around and wait for you to post up another "Look at me" video.....BTW I really do think your a GREAT rider, as does most everyone else around here...maybe its time for you to hear and belive it.......Have a nice day.... CF.

  22. #22
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Confused about what? Over all Mike I was actually giving you props for what I thought was some pretty cool stuff...I did however feel that because you brought a machine gun to a spit ball fight (you know hiding behind a long travel bike as always) that it REALLY showed in the first part of the video...Hate to break it to you big boy if your going to continue to take pictures and or shoot video of yourself EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU RIDE YOUR BIKE, your going to have to understand that not EVERYONE is going to swing from your nuts and give you the much needed comments you clearly seek like "WOW Mike, that was the coolest thing EVER, Man I wish I could do that..Gee Mikey your my hero, please post up more videos of you and your wonderful bike skills.... Talking about "Confused" all you had to say after reading my reply was (if you really felt the need to respond) "Hey CF glad you like the video but I disagree with you about your one shot hardtail comments" Anyway I'll just sit around and wait for you to post up another "Look at me" video.....BTW I really do think your a GREAT rider, as does most everyone else around here...maybe its time for you to hear and belive it.......Have a nice day.... CF.
    Wait a minute? I was waiting for you to "Bring the pain"

    Are you sure this isn't Sane Fred posting on Crazy Fred's account?

    Class act.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  23. #23
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Confused about what? Over all Mike I was actually giving you props for what I thought was some pretty cool stuff...I did however feel that because you brought a machine gun to a spit ball fight (you know hiding behind a long travel bike as always) that it REALLY showed in the first part of the video...Hate to break it to you big boy if your going to continue to take pictures and or shoot video of yourself EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU RIDE YOUR BIKE, your going to have to understand that not EVERYONE is going to swing from your nuts and give you the much needed comments you clearly seek like "WOW Mike, that was the coolest thing EVER, Man I wish I could do that..Gee Mikey your my hero, please post up more videos of you and your wonderful bike skills.... Talking about "Confused" all you had to say after reading my reply was (if you really felt the need to respond) "Hey CF glad you like the video but I disagree with you about your one shot hardtail comments" Anyway I'll just sit around and wait for you to post up another "Look at me" video.....BTW I really do think your a GREAT rider, as does most everyone else around here...maybe its time for you to hear and belive it.......Have a nice day.... CF.
    very good reply to a respons i was surprised you got Fred

    i actually thought and was surprised (for some reason) that mike replied the way he did??? Mike, you are honestly looking like a real dick. In a conversation yesterday I made the mistake of saying you know, Mike's passion is very admirable and I am sure it might be be cool to ride with him as he couldnt possibly be the tool he comes across on the internet. I should have known better - you are a pretentious asswipe actually and i will not make that mistake again. Now go e-hug your flock of mindless sheep that hang on your every word and picture.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,090
    I didn't think mike's response was that harsh. Kinda playful and (edited) facetious, but not harsh.

    I think CF's point is probably valid but I, for one, would be disappointed if mike quit posting his stellar videos and pics just because you disapprove of his exhibitionism (I suspect his skin is quite a bit thicker than that though). Isn't that why we're all here though? We're all trolls and exhibitionists casting our images, thoughts and impressions out there hoping for some response or some praise to some extent.... Or voyeurs enjoying the stuff others show.

    I'd much rather you show me your rides (especially if you can capture them as well as mike does) than listen to you talk about how you could do it easier on a hardtail or drop it bigger or whatever. (Although, I must admit, you showed amazing restraint and class compared to the old Crazy Fred).

    I don't watch mike's videos because I think he's the greatest rider ever. If I needed that I'd just buy videos of the uber-talented professional riders. I watch and enjoy them because he does a great job editing them and showing some stuff that the semi-talented everyman rider might be able to relate to rendering terrific images of said rides in great locals that I'm familiar with from unique and interesting perspectives. And he doesn't even shy away from posting his gaffe's and failed attempts and admit when something was just to big for him to wrap his head around. It's hard to not like that.

    And I praise mike's videos and pictures for the same reason I praise anyone's work: I enjoy it, it gets me stoked to ride, and it's well-done. Besides, I want folks who take the effort to capture their rides and share them with us to keep doing it. (I'm selfish that way. ) YMMV.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-05-2010 at 01:30 PM.

  25. #25
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Some (barely!) moving pixels from the last trip Skippy and I took down to SW Utah.

    MC
    Cool stuff Mike. But next time why don't you two coordinate to wear different color shirts, ok??

  26. #26
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,531
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    very good reply to a respons i was surprised you got Fred

    i actually thought and was surprised (for some reason) that mike replied the way he did??? Mike, you are honestly looking like a real dick. In a conversation yesterday I made the mistake of saying you know, Mike's passion is very admirable and I am sure it might be be cool to ride with him as he couldnt possibly be the tool he comes across on the internet. I should have known better - you are a pretentious asswipe actually and i will not make that mistake again. Now go e-hug your flock of mindless sheep that hang on your every word and picture.
    Pretty harsh yourself Fo.
    Although not as amorous as Krob. I generally share his view - it's cool to see the vids, and I relate to falling down shots in particular. (However, Mike's last vid was bordering pretty close to XCGuy's ode to an armed robbery on estrogen...) As for CF, well, he can pretty well take care of hisself. I can't even understand the comment about a hard tail being the preferred tool for that stuff. Anyway, watching the e-fights is almost as much fun as watching the riding, so keep it up.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  27. #27
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I'd much rather you show me your rides (especially if you can capture them as well as mike does) than listen to you talk about how you could do it easier on a hardtail or drop it bigger or whatever. (Although, I must admit, you showed amazing restraint and class compared to the old Crazy Fred).

    I don't watch mike's videos because I think he's the greatest rider ever. If I needed that I'd just buy videos of the uber-talented professional riders. I watch and enjoy them because he does a great job editing them and showing some stuff that the semi-talented everyman rider might be able to relate to rendering terrific images of said rides in great locals that I'm familiar with from unique and interesting perspectives. And he doesn't even shy away from posting his gaffe's and failed attempts and admit when something was just to big for him to wrap his head around. It's hard to not like that.

    And I praise mike's videos and pictures for the same reason I praise anyone's work: I enjoy it, it gets me stoked to ride, and it's well-done. Besides, I want folks who take the effort to capture their rides and share them with us to keep doing it. (I'm selfish that way. ) YMMV.
    Great comment. Agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  28. #28
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    This thread is enlightening. Thought this forum would be a good place to hang out to learn about the 29er I'm building. So sharing my experiences and being honest about my talents and questions makes me an idiot? My bad?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    This thread is enlightening. Thought this forum would be a good place to hang out to learn about the 29er I'm building. So sharing my experiences and being honest about my talents and questions makes me an idiot? My bad?
    I think Mikesee is a bad-ass ... but I do not ride with anyone who will huck anything. The interwebz are serious bizness and sarcasm rarely comes across well ... so tempers flare easily.

  30. #30
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    There's a big difference between facetiousness and sarcasm. Things *might* be different hereabouts if more folks understood that difference. I don't use sarcasm--it's a chickenshit way of making a point, and it's usually misunderstood.

    A select few 'round here choose to take the low road of criticizing/belittling things about which they are ignorant. Why, I don't pretend to know. Best guess? Penis envy.

    But what do I know...?

    I shoot pics and vids as a creative outlet. Same with editing them after the fact, as well as adding music and text. It's an interesting mental diversion from answering emails, building wheels, and doing paperwork.

    As always, folks can take them or leave them.

    Compliments? Thank you--much appreciated.

    Don't like 'em? No problem--we've all got different tastes, priorities, and preferences.

    Passive aggressive criticism born of ignorance, misplaced hubris and the aforementioned (hypothesized) penis envy? Get a life.



    MC

  31. #31
    You know, for kids
    Reputation: madcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,570
    nice footage


    You'd hate south Louisiana, Mike. Sometimes the occasional fallen tree presents an obstacle around here, and that's about it.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,600
    Yeah, I knew sarcasm didn't quite cover it. None of it comes across right on-line ... especially with no history, nuance of facial expressions, etc ...

    I dig your videos. They make me want to try some technical riding. I'll probably get all stoked on one of em and go out and hurt myself

  33. #33
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    ...next time why don't you two coordinate to wear different color shirts, ok??
    I know, I know--it can be so confusing! I'd watch Skippy smooth something and I'd think that it was me!

  34. #34
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    They make me want to try some technical riding. I'll probably get all stoked on one of em and go out and hurt myself
    LOL because yesterday I tried a few moves over my head and came this close to getting hurt because "those guys" were doing it in the vid .
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,090
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    There's a big difference between facetiousness and sarcasm. Things *might* be different hereabouts if more folks understood that difference. MC
    Ok.... I guess I'm gonna have to go to the dictionary.
    KRob------------> One of those that may not understand the difference.

    sar⋅casm  /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA
    –noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

    fa⋅ce⋅tious  /fəˈsiʃəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA
    –adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
    2. amusing; humorous.
    3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.


    Ok. I stand corrected. Your comment was definitely more on the facetious side of things.

  36. #36
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    My comments weren't directed at you, Kent, but I'd like to thank you for digging that up and posting it.

    I especially like the 'concerned with something nonessential' verbiage. This is just bikes on the internet after all...

    Cheers,

    MC

  37. #37
    Living the Dream
    Reputation: Alpenglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,752

    Is skippy running a hammershmidt?

    He seems to have a ton of clearance. Also, is he running flat pedals? It doesn't look like it, but he sure comes unclipped quick and quiet.
    Thanks,
    john
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  38. #38
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    He seems to have a ton of clearance. Also, is he running flat pedals? It doesn't look like it, but he sure comes unclipped quick and quiet.
    Thanks,
    john
    Nope, no HS on his bike, but he does have a ~3/4" higher BB than I do. He's running Time's.

    Cheers,

    MC

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.