Molding chopped tyres together.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Molding chopped tyres together.

I remember when Krik Pacenti invented that weird size 584mm- 27,5 and used a chopped 29er tyre and molded it together. Can we do this same?
    We might buy 3 26" tires cut them all and insert in 2 of them a certain piece of rubber. Do you know the technique?
    I would certainly do it with folding kevlar tires because I have little access to 29er tires.

mtbr member
    Are you serious? In any case, it'd probably be rubbish and not worth the effort.

Just order some tires online. Or if you have a local Trek/GF dealer, they will have 29" Bontragers

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Definitely order online. Not worth the effort, though in the realm of craziness, it would be pretty sweet to have a 700c Karma bonded to a tubular casing and glued to a Zipp 404 rim on some DT 240 hubs.

Anyway, I'm doubtful that you will have much success in Europe with a trek/fisher dealer. Try specialized. Even though the dealers in Germany that have already ordered a couple of Stumpjumpers for 08 don't realize that they spoke replacement isn't a problem because it's a 700c wheel, specialized dealers at least have 29ers on the radar.

Also, Continental and Schwalbe two of the biggest brands in Europe, obviously, and even though the dealers aren't aware of the 29er offerings from those two until they look in the catalogue when I ask for it, the Mountain King and Racing Ralph should be widely available. There isn't a bit of XC riding in western europe that those two models can't handle. For the aggro gnar-gnar riding, well, I can't help you their.

Just trying to help you out, because we all really, really, really want to see you get a bike.

Feb 2006

mtbr member
    I can get 29er tyres yet it is complicated and arduous task and for sure 26" tyres are cheaper and easily found. For example I cannot get a Rampage in 29" but can get almost everywhere 26".
    Did Krik Pacenti succeede with his moulded tyres? He obviously did it and I am wondering how he did it and whether the joint is durable enough to ride freely.

mtbr member
    seriously dude?...c'mon, you gotta do better than that, this post SUX!!

(was) Big in Japan
    [QUOTE=cruzthepug]Maybe Chad is DC's real name

QUOTE]

reckon he could patch that?
    Ride.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    [QUOTE=TheSingleGuy]
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    Maybe Chad is DC's real name

QUOTE]

reckon he could patch that?
    About as easy as Davidcopperfield can mold together rubber

is buachail foighneach me
    arrow used to do that to make serious 24" downhill tires back in the day. not sure about the bead though. i guess you could take a road or 29er tire, and use the bead from that, then butcher two 26" tires and sew them to the bead. seams like an aweful lot of time for something that's destined to fail, and probably catastrophically.

just ride
    you know what, i think it would work. there really is no way really to tell though until you try it. I think you are on to something here, and you should try it, and post a tutorial so we can all see. Just imagine the tire choices we would have! I think you could sew the carcasses together with some kevlar cord and then use a MAPP torch to seal the rubber back together.

Make sure you also sipe the knobs properly because I hear that it makes a ton of difference on the tires, even though it takes forever. Mountain bike action said it worked well, so it must have some merit.

If it works, I think we will have a real possibility for 36er tires, so it will become very popular.

I bet that if this tire mod works, Santa Cruz and Fox will jump on board the 36er movement. You have a lot of potential here!
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

no need for kevlar chord. one of these will do the trick:

(i actually have used one of these to patch larger cuts in tires, successfully and long term.)

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    I can get 29er tyres yet it is complicated and arduous task and for sure 26" tyres are cheaper and easily found. For example I cannot get a Rampage in 29" but can get almost everywhere 26".
    Did Krik Pacenti succeede with his moulded tyres? He obviously did it and I am wondering how he did it and whether the joint is durable enough to ride freely.
    where is it that you live that you cant order tires online?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    where is it that you live that you cant order tires online?
    supposedly poland.

anyone know how to get IP on postings?
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    supposedly poland.

anyone know how to get IP on postings?
    I have said over and over that DC is a troll. He is on my ignore list, but I do like to see how so many folk on here indulge him.

mtbr member
    That;s what I want to do
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=103
    If Kirk did we can do as well.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=84
    "The tires were made by cutting a section out of a 29” tire and rejoining it to fit a 650B rim. That was done by using a hot knife to cut off all the knobs on one end of the tire strip about an inch back, right down to the casing. Then by overlapping the tire seam and rejoining by using a rubber adhesive and some Kevlar thread. The tires were bonded together by laying them out flat in a press until the adhesive cured, then stitched together for good measure… they should hold up very well."

he never answered the question of how he rejoined the bead by that description. do it the way i described(use the bead from an intact 700 or 29" tire). use a flexible epoxy like this, ( http://mcnett.baron-co.com/page.cfm?pageID=560 )along with the stitching. let us know how it works. post pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe someone can just take something like two Rampages, cut the inside of the tire off next to the center knobs (offset a little, of course) and sew the two halves together to make a 3-4" tire. Then the bead would not need any motification.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Use rubber cement.

I'd like to see a Rampage molded with a Weirwolf. It might ride a bit bumpy but you could get some good traction.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by vegen
    Use rubber cement.

I'd like to see a Rampage molded with a Weirwolf. It might ride a bit bumpy but you could get some good traction.
    Never mind the ride, the naming sceme would be a nightmare. RamWolf, WeirPage . . . . that just ain't right!

Now a Rampage and a Nevegal, together . . . .

Members who have read this thread: 0