Modern Process 111- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Modern Process 111

I'm looking to downsize my current 140/160mm 29er to something more pedal friendly for all day rides. My search leads to the Kona Process 111 as a great bike that pedals well and extremely fun on the downs. I don't do jumps and my biggest drop I'll hit is probably only 3ft on rare occasions.

Unfortunately, we all know the 111 isn't being produced anymore. In an effort to keep my current wheelset (boost spacing) I'm looking for the modern Process 111.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should look into? Short rear travel, slack HA, steep SA. My budget is at or around $3000. The Devinci Django seems to tick alot of these boxes. The new Ripley is too expensive, unfortunately. Giant Trance 29er perhaps?

All help is greatly appreciated!!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Giant Trance. Banshee Phantom.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Giant Trance. Banshee Phantom.
    Yea the Trance seems like a good bet. The Phantom is tough to come by as a complete build.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Both bikes are pretty rad. The Trance is easier to get. You could contact Dirt Merchant (I believe in Colorado) for full builds on the Phantom.

The Trance is lighter, but the seat angle may be a touch slacker than other modern bikes.

I've owned both and loved both. If I had to choose one, I think it would probably be the Giant, but the Phantom is still awesome, particularly with a good shock.

FWIW, both those bikes pedal better than a 111. That bike was kind of the start of an era and very cool, but most folks will tell you it isn't the best pedaler on the planet and it's heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow, thats awesome you have had the chance to own both. The SA on the giant is a bit slack, agreed. I rode an XL and a L, being 6'1" with 34" inseam, the SA put me far back. The XL felt like i was stretched out more than I would have liked. I did really enjoy the suspension setup though (parking lot test with curbs and speed bumps). Would you say the phantom is similar in this regard or stiffer since it has 10mm less travel?

I ride mainly chunky trails in North Phoenix, AZ. But nothing that consists of jumps/drops. I have yet to try a DW link bike, which some claim has the "Hover Bike" feeling. The Django seems like a good option if I decide to go DW.

mtbr member
    A smuggler is kind of a modern Process.
    I would pickup a used 2017 Process...throw a fox36 on it and call it good.

A works angleset would easily refresh the Process HTA to 66.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modern Process 111-smuggler.png  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm in Phoenix, too. Mostly South Mountain, but Hawes when I want some easier mileage.

I've had a couple of Phantoms, but generally with a custom shock. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam, rode XL on both bikes.

Oddly, I'd say the Phantom pedaled incrementally better. The KS Link is legit. The Trance was definitely more plush, even at higher speeds on bigger gnar at South Mountain.

You missed out, man. I just sold a really nice customized Trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    A smuggler is kind of a modern Process.
    I would pickup a used 2017 Process...throw a fox36 on it and call it good.

A works angleset would easily refresh the Process HTA to 66.
    Wow that is very similar! I would totally go for a 111 but it is 142 spacing and my wheelset is boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I'm in Phoenix, too. Mostly South Mountain, but Hawes when I want some easier mileage.

I've had a couple of Phantoms, but generally with a custom shock. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam, rode XL on both bikes.

Oddly, I'd say the Phantom pedaled incrementally better. The KS Link is legit. The Trance was definitely more plush, even at higher speeds on bigger gnar at South Mountain.

You missed out, man. I just sold a really nice customized Trance.
    Wow! I ride up in Apache Wash or Browns Ranch area. I just did the flag to grand canyon ride on my Smash. Was great but I sure felt the weight of coil front and rear at the end of it. I could get some air suspension for both ends for weight savings...but then I wouldn't have an excuse for a new ride!

aka bOb
    I know it's a little more travel than you are looking for but what about the Commencal Meta TR 29er? Just a wild shot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Sounds like new Trek Top Fuel, Intense Sniper Trail, Fezzari Signal Peak, Spot Ryve, Whyte S120 and lots of others may be of interest too. It's a category that has a ton of options now and I'm more confused than ever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Sounds like new Trek Top Fuel, Intense Sniper Trail, Fezzari Signal Peak, Spot Ryve, Whyte S120 and lots of others may be of interest too. It's a category that has a ton of options now and I'm more confused than ever.
    The Signal Peak was definitely up there. I'm just not sure about the brand yet. Especially for resale purposes. I'll check the others, thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The new Kona 134..... Maybe

Short-Change-Hero
    I will throw GGs hat into the game with the Trail Pistola. Talk about trail eating goodness, 120mm rear (adjustable to 130mm for Pistola flavoring) and 130mm front for some good ole fun. Modern geometry with longer reach that can be adjusted by a flip-chip (like many are doing these days) with the added benefit that you can purchase chainstay kits that will allow you to run a completely different bike (grab $450 kit for the Smash and you suddenly have a 29er enduro bike!).

However, we are in a good time where you are RARELY going to find a bike that really isn't good. Some may suck or not be as good as others in certain aspects but really it is; pick your poison and go from there!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I was on a similar journey and was looking at a Transition Smuggler. I ended up with a Norco Fluid FS1.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/t...s-1-2019-l-29/

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Pole evolink 110?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk