A Modern Classic - Steve Potts- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~~~

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts

I've been waiting a long time to start this new bike build thread! The planets had aligned, and I was finally able to order that custom dream bike I've been waiting for all my life. Being a NorCal native, and resident still, I quickly narrowed down my list of potential builders. It really became a no-brainer, when all I had to do was drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, and in a short time, be sitting down in the shop of the legendary Steve Potts. I had an awesome visit with Steve back in July, and we chatted about bikes and everything else for about 2 hours. I even played doggie soccer with Cowboy, his Jack Russel, in the shop. Just the visit itself was priceless. But more than that, I just agreed with his philosophy of bike building. Pure and simple. I appreciate and enjoy all of the improvements in cycling with modern technologies, but I'm also a bit of a retrogrouch at times. For example, the Santa Cruz Highball was actually high on my list, but carbon fiber just doesn't move my soul like a custom ti frame. This is going to be one to take to the grave. I have already told my wife to bury me with my Potts.

Okay, so fast foward 5 months, and now my bike build is in the works. During the last 5 months, I found that there is really not that much information (bike p0rn) out there with Steve's more recent creations. A few pictures here and there when the bike is new, but it seems the typical Potts customer is not one to spend much time on the interwebs posting pictures of their pride and joy. Well, I hope to change that with this thread. Rather than posting my build spec and pics of the final product, I thought I'd share my build process with you as I get parts together, and as the frame gets built.

I'm 5'6" with a 29.25" inseam. I don't race, and I have a Nomad for bigger hit stuff, so I wanted this bike for all around XC trail riding with intermediate gnar thrown in. I definitely wanted a Type II fork. I knew I would kick myself later if I didn't get this bike with the Type II. I also definitely want a 2x10 geared bike, so no sliding drop-outs, and it needed space to accomodate a front derailleur. I described my riding style to him, and deferred the number crunching and geometry design to him. Here is the preliminary drawing that he came up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0242.jpg  

~~~
    I debated for a bit whether to have the bike built for me, or do the build myself. Steve works with Mike at Black Mountain Cycles, and I would not hesitate turning the frame over to Mike for a truly professional build. But during the wait, I did a lot of on-line shopping, and I ended up buying pretty much everything I needed. So the motivation hit me full on, and I will be assembling everything myself. Parts have been trickling in from Brown Santa.

Here are the Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes. I chose the 29er compatible silver color.

Everything pictured here weighs in at about 655 grams. That's before the hose gets cut down to size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0125.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0128.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0122.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0130.jpg  

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    29ers are a fad.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Looks awesome tburg. Looking forward to seeing this thing come together. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know Steve Potts was still actively building custom bikes. Ti too? How many organs did you have to part with for this bike?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    subscribe
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    probably got a discount since he only sacrificed an arm

its gonna be awesome

rho
    Life is strange
    This is gonna start making me want a 29'er again...

mtbr member
    What's a 29er?
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    what's a 29er?
    A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-29er.jpg
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

NedwannaB

Less then 655 grams?

Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Here are the Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes. I chose the 29er compatible silver color.

Everything pictured here weighs in at about 655 grams. That's before the hose gets cut down to size.
    Dang that shortening should drop it down by what, 2 or 3 Alpineberries?

All seriousness aside, that build you got planned should turn into an awesome bike. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    What's a 29er?
    Don't worry about it. It's not small enough for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You must have ordered about the time I got mine. You are not going to be sorry, it really is the nicest bike I have ever been on. The first time I got on the bike my legs didn't just burn but my face did also due to all the smiling. I road it with the type II for about three months and then tried a Reba on it, while still a nice riding bike it lost some of its magic. Reba came off an will never go back on. You really would have kicked yoursel if you didn't get one. Have fun with the build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1324352589.277949.jpg  

Mtn Biker Machinist

Subscribed

Steve is #1 on my dream builder list. I will have to wait a long time to own a bike of his, but someday I will.

Looking forward to the build. Thanks for letting us all experience this vicariously through you!

frog

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim View Post
    29ers are a fad.
    Stay tuned. There will be a special surprise for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    How many organs did you have to part with for this bike?
    Joke's on him. I traded my liver.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Dang that shortening should drop it down by what, 2 or 3 Alpineberries?
    LOL. This is not gonna be a weight weenie build, but I play one on TV sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    You must have ordered about the time I got mine. You are not going to be sorry, it really is the nicest bike I have ever been on. The first time I got on the bike my legs didn't just burn but my face did also due to all the smiling. I road it with the type II for about three months and then tried a Reba on it, while still a nice riding bike it lost some of its magic. Reba came off an will never go back on. You really would have kicked yoursel if you didn't get one. Have fun with the build
    Yes! I remember seeing your frame on Steve's blog. It was very cool to see it show up on the forums here.

mtbr member
    Stay tuned. There will be a special surprise for you!
    650b?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

aka baycat
    I would prefer you getting a medium sized bike so I can objectively test ride it.

Natural body armor
    I'd recommend a basket for carrying the goodies on the trail
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Potts makes amazing bikes- I think one of his kids rides a 29er in and around the headlands...either that or there is a teenager with a totally *****ing ti Potts worth close to 10k ripping it up.

Good luck with the build- If I was still close to Black Mountain Cycles I would get my bike built there: so much history in that shop.

~~~
    A few odds and ends for happy wrists and a happy butt. And possible inspiration for the color scheme on the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0109.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0135.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0137.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best saddle ever

Trail Ninja
    Some fancy packaging there for those parts.

What's his wait list like? I recommended him to someone else not too long ago and was just curious.

JB
    Steve who?

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Some fancy packaging there for those parts.

What's his wait list like? I recommended him to someone else not too long ago and was just curious.
    Geez. No kidding. I paid a premium for that plastic packaging! Flite saddle in brown had to be a stupid anniversary edition. That logo should wear off with a few good rides.

Back in July, Steve quoted me 4-5 months. I assumed 6-7 months was more likely the case. He just contacted me last week to say my bike is in the works. I think the few people ahead of me in the queue had wait times anywhere from 6-9 months. But during that entire time, he always replied to my emails very promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Steve who?
    Pots. He makes custom non-stick cookware. Amazing stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was quoted 4-5 months and had it in my hands in 7 which was faster than I expected. Although his estimate was off I wouldn't hesitate to wait it again, Steve also responded quickly to any questions and kept me updated throughout the wait.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Looks shiny!

Those brakes look nice. Good choice.

Did you get the rest of the drivetrain yet?

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    Those brakes look nice. Good choice.

Did you get the rest of the drivetrain yet?
    Thanks! I should be getting a big box delivered tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Looks exciting!

~~~
    Big box received right in time for Festivus!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0300.jpg  

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

you just need.....

....a bigger tree.

And a frame to hold all those parts together.

JB
    Thats a serious looking bachelor pad!

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29er.jpg 
Views:	4523 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	660753

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Thats a serious looking bachelor pad!
    His wife is the best baker ever

mtbr member
    tburger, best Christmas, ever.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

~~~
    I got my big box of parts from Bikerbob yesterday. Spent some time last night checking everything out, and then I geeked out and had some weight weenie fun putting everything on the kitchen scale. I can post actual weights if anyone is interested. Took some photos today to share with you all.

More silver bits in the mix. Not much to say about the Cane Creek 110 headset. The interlocking alloy spacers they come with are kinda neat. I chose the White Industries MI6 hubs because they were a good compromise between cost, quality, weight, and performance. Plus, they're another good local company. These are going to be built into a nice reliable wheelset with stainless steel spokes.

The Shimano drivetrain looks pretty slick. I went with the slightly more expensive shifters with the integrated mounts. It should make for a nice clean look while still providing lots of adjustability. The weight of all the Shimano stuff is pretty close to what's advertised, except for the cassette. This 11-36 cassette weighs in at a portly 345g.

I'm off work next week, and it looks like I may be able to squeeze in a visit to the shop while Steve does some work. It would be awesome if I could actually see some work on tubing that will eventually become my bike. I'll try to take pics if this pans out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9220.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9221.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0321.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9222.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0336.jpg  

~~~
    Major progress update! The frame has already been built. I was also able to work out some time to visit Steve for a couple of hours while he worked on welding the rear brake mount and stay bridges. He showed me a ton of stuff, and it's amazing the amount of thought and work that goes into everything he makes. He showed off his steady hands and attention to detail while I hovered over his shoulder. The remaining welding and cable guides were attached after I left, and the fork should be built over the weekend. Once I get the color scheme for the fork sent to him, off it goes to the painter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9224.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9225.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9226.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9227.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9243.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9256.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9259.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9262.jpg  

~~~
    Few more shots of the weld detail at the major tube junctions. I also received the Jones Ti Loop Bar on Friday. And the final shot is the color scheme for the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9273.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9276.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9279.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9284.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9285.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-typeii_peter.jpg  

~~~
    And one final treat for you all...

<object width="600" height="450"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34400390&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34400390&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="450"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very nice. Did you swing through Black Mountain while out in Point Reyes? I stopped by to say hi to Mike yesterday and per the usual he had one Potts in the stand and a couple others waiting in the wings.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    What a treat to see this. Very cool. I

Looks like it could be unhealthy for an old guy though. Your take?

mtbr member
    Wow...very cool!...I have Tig welded my whole life and never would have thought of that to get into the tight spaces....Steve is an artist for sure!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    cool to see that even Steve Potts uses foil
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Very nice. Did you swing through Black Mountain while out in Point Reyes? I stopped by to say hi to Mike yesterday and per the usual he had one Potts in the stand and a couple others waiting in the wings.
    Unfortunately I didn't have time. I've only exchanged emails with Mike, but I need to meet him in person. That guy is a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    What a treat to see this. Very cool. I

Looks like it could be unhealthy for an old guy though. Your take?
    Not sure what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    cool to see that even Steve Potts uses foil
    I seriously considered Vertigo, too! I love your frame designs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Unfortunately I didn't have time. I've only exchanged emails with Mike, but I need to meet him in person. That guy is a class act.
    You really should stop in his shop if only for the bike history lesson. He always has a couple Cunninghams, Potts, WTBs etc hanging around.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I seriously considered Vertigo, too! I love your frame designs.
    I appreciate that. Steve is a jewel of this industry and is on my own short list of builders. I had #11 of one of the first batch of ti frames (if not THE first batch) he built at WTB in the mid'90's and I still kick myself for selling it. One of these days I'll take him up on his offer and I'll head down for a visit.

Plan #123-D
    This thread is seriously like porn to me. Unreal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    those are some clean welds!

mtbr member
    what does the foil do?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    what does the foil do?
    It acts as a heat sink, I'm guessing.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It traps the inert gas flowing out of the welder to keep the weld zone more saturated in whatever welding gas you are using.

It also transmits secret messages to aliens and/or the CIA.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Mostly. Usually it's to keep the backside or sides of a weld area bathed in argon. When you have argon blowing past an edge, or are welding small diameter tubing like on a stay bridge, it helps to have some kind of backer to keep oxygen out of the weld. Sometimes they're passive like the foil, sometimes they're purged.

I'd love to see more shop photos if you have them. This is VERY interesting.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Isn't that what I said???

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    It traps the inert gas flowing out of the welder to keep the weld zone more saturated in whatever welding gas you are using.

This. I used to work with Steve and this is what he said.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post

I thought it blocked transmissions to aliens and/or the CIA. Or is that only when molded onto a colander and worn on one's head?

Mostly. Usually it's to keep the backside or sides of a weld area bathed in argon. When you have argon blowing past an edge, or are welding small diameter tubing like on a stay bridge, it helps to have some kind of backer to keep oxygen out of the weld. Sometimes they're passive like the foil, sometimes they're purged.

Most of my photos were taken during this welding session, so it's pretty much the same stuff seen above. He also showed me some of the tools he uses to make the bends in the tubes, and some of the tools he made to measure and align the pieces for the Type II forks, but I didn't take pictures of those.

You can see a lot of the fork building process on his blog here:

stevepottsbicycles: May 2010

stevepottsbicycles: June 2010

~~~

I went thru my pics again to try to find a few more worth posting. I know it's pretty much more of the same, but these additional pics may have a few more things of interest.

The big metal cylinders on the workbench were a place for him to rest his hands and stabilize his posture. For those who don't know how these torches work, what you can't see is that he's also operating the torch with a foot pedal.

Another shot of the brake mount. I brought him some home baked goodies from my wife, and he liked it so much, he had to write down her blogspot site.

There were various vintage bikes hanging from the rafters that I didn't really have time to ogle. There were also some ti rear triangles hanging around. Not sure what they were for. Could be for some of Castellano's bikes. Notice the shop is filled with natural light. We're on a hillside facing North with a really nice view of Tamales Bay.

And finally, here's a pic of Cowboy, Steve's Jack Russel. He dragged his bed over to join us at the table when we were talking. And he kept tapping me on the foot for more play time. But he pretty much just chilled whenever Steve was working.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9230.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9241.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9245.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9252.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9254.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9269.jpg  

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Thanks!

Most of us make a lot of our own tools and they're typically born in a vacuum without much discussion with other builders. It's always great to see another builders tools (especially someone like Steve) because by looking at the design of the tool, you can infer a method of thinking which helps make the mental toolbox bigger.

Tube bending methods should be of particular importance to anyone who bends their own tubes and it's something that's always on my mind. I know Steve uses a micrometer during the bend process and I've always been curious how exactly it works for him as I have my own methods of making symmetrical bends. I see he has an Anvil bender mounted to his mill table and the sideways mounting of the main tube mitering fixture is interesting as well.

Thanks for the pix.

~~~
    In my never ending quest to find more Potts bike p0rn (during my free time), I stumbled across the Singletrackworld forums where a recent UK customer just received his frame a couple months ago and started a thread over there. Unfortunately, the pics were either removed or aren't shared properly, so there's not much to see. There are, however, some very entertaining comments that I had to pass along!

"errr. Am I missing something, I dont get the excitement.
    It's a basic hardtail with disc mounts."

"It does look nice.
    Not sure it's 'that much money' nice, but if you can afford it, then hey, why not!!??
    The only thing I don't like is the name on the down tube. Most people are just going to think you are called Steve Potts."

"Beautiful frame, but I can't help thinking the guy should have called the company something different. If your name is Enzo Ferrari by all means go ahead, but Steve Potts? LMAO."

"If you had any idea what you were talking about, you'd buy a Steve Potts frame over a Ferrari!"

"very very nice indeed.
    a lot of the oicks on here nowadays will not know who steve potts is............ "

"I laughed at the clueless twunks who wonder why it's got some blokes name on it and not some trademarked, made up brand name!
    Anyway, fair play to the OP for knowing his onions getting something of this quality."

~~~

Time to Lace 'em Up

This was a great weekend for Niners football, beer drinking, and wheel building. My frame and fork should be ready very soon, so this weekend I dug out the wheel building tools, refreshed my memory by re-reading the literature, and went at it.

The build consists of:
    DT Revolution Spokes
    Alloy nipples
    Stans Crest Rims
    Stans rim tape and valves with removable cores

Front wheel weighs in at 770g, rear wheel is 885g.
    Front tire weighs 830g, and rear tire weighs 795g.

Tires are Ardent 2.4 and 2.25, and they both aired up with a floor pump. I haven't added sealant yet, and the front is actually holding air. I'll hold off on sealant for the rear until I get the frame, just in case I have clearance issues with this tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0391.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0393.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0397.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0399.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's beyond me why there aren't more Potts out on the trail. They are all kinds of awesome.

Did anyone notice the five WTB URT rear triangles hanging on the wall? What were those abominations called again? I want to say "Trailmaster" but I'm not sure....
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    guess they could have been destined for bon tempes or castelano (sp?) frames?

as for the potts...agree, beautiful stuff!
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    In my never ending quest to find more Potts bike p0rn (during my free time), I stumbled across the Singletrackworld forums where a recent UK customer just received his frame a couple months ago and started a thread over there. Unfortunately, the pics were either removed or aren't shared properly, so there's not much to see. There are, however, some very entertaining comments that I had to pass along!
    [snip]....

Singletrackworld forum can be pretty 'robust' unless you fit into the full suspension mould (did anyone mention England's mountains ), 29ers, singlespeed etc. is greeeted with a little sceptism!

Enjoying the progress! Looks a nice bike
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Ah yeah, Bon Tempe, that was it.

I'm admittedly one of the strange dudes that actually enjoyed URTs when I had them.

mtbr member
    So much anticipation!! That's going to be one sweet ride!!

Enjoy the wait and the build!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    You need to write me an article about this whole process and love affair. You have a ton of content and photos already.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
    It's beyond me why there aren't more Potts out on the trail. They are all kinds of awesome.

Did anyone notice the five WTB URT rear triangles hanging on the wall? What were those abominations called again? I want to say "Trailmaster" but I'm not sure....
    The Trailmaster was a model he was building for Koski around a year after WTB started offering ti bikes in the mid 90's.

mtbr member
    Shoulda got DT Supercomps... The 1.8 nips are stronger...

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    if the spokes are long enough, it's a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Actually, no, it can matter. The, thinner the spoke, the thicker the nipple. That's ok you build frames, not wheels.

mtbr member
    Oh wait, you do build wheels. Well, no my wheels at least.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    Sure, I thought about that. I was originally going to use DT Comps, but after doing more reading, I was willing to "risk" trying the Revs for myself. Keep in mind, I'm a lightweight at 140 lbs., and I've never broken anything (without crashing ).

if the spokes are long enough, it's a non-issue.
    Yep, spokes extend thru the threaded part of the nipples. Tensioned up pretty nicely!

Rotors and cassette installed today. One thing is for sure. The Shimano cassette is not nearly as pretty as the Sram cassettes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0416.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0417.jpg  

Last edited by tburger; 01-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    sheesh. tburger, I can't wait to see your complete bike. It'll be a stunner.

mtbr member
    Looks sharp. Excited to see the end result.

The Swiss Guy
    Hi tburger. As a Swiss Potts 29er owner I'd like to congratulate you for this awesome thread. I especially like the video and the pics about the welding process! The silver / titanium approach seems very promising and I am looking forward to the final product. This reminds me that it is time to order a nice titanium frame for my wife. Keep going with your build...

For those who understand some german or for just some pics see my Potts - Ti29-40 posts on my blog.
    see more at my blog ...

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissSpoony View Post
    Hi tburger. As a Swiss Potts 29er owner I'd like to congratulate you for this awesome thread. I especially like the video and the pics about the welding process! The silver / titanium approach seems very promising and I am looking forward to the final product. This reminds me that it is time to order a nice titanium frame for my wife. Keep going with your build...

For those who understand some german or for just some pics see my Potts - Ti29-40 posts on my blog.
    Thanks Spoony! Potts frames are showing up all over the world. Slowly, but surely.

mtbr member

A 29er frame

designed and by a legendary builder?. It just does not get better than that imho. Nothing against the many newer builders, but when you combine mastery of ones craft with decades of experience perfecting every minute detail you get something that I don't think can be duplicated by someone who hasn't done the same. This is explained beautifully in the book by Malcolm Gladwell called "The Outliers". Hard to dispute his argument, but I am sure some knucklehead on this forum probably will.
    I think that precious few builders meet up to the standard outlined in the book. Steve Potts obviously mets the standard . I am subscribed .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    this is serious porn.
    VERY tidy welding! so clean!
    Bike will be EPIC.

Hurry up

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, I've been lurking in the 29er forum for a few weeks now but this thread has motivated me to register.

That is one really nice looking frame and the bits to hang off aren't too shabby either. Nice to see a master at work.

I've been thinking about building my own 29er and this has got me salivating.

Looking forward to seeing this built and some trail shot...

mtbr member
    Wow- I can't believe I've looked past this. Great write up so far and I look forward to following your progress. I really dig the photos and video- thanks for sharing! I've never met anyone nicer than Steve so it's great to see so much recognition and appreciation for his work.

Here are some photos of mine:
    Socket Set Cycles: 2008 Potts

Thanks again for the thread!!

mtbr member
    This will be the bike of all bikes. you can sell all the rest. :-) When I get my new one you will have to come ride the forbidden forest with me.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee View Post
    Wow- I can't believe I've looked past this. Great write up so far and I look forward to following your progress. I really dig the photos and video- thanks for sharing! I've never met anyone nicer than Steve so it's great to see so much recognition and appreciation for his work.

rim brakes!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Ride and Smile suckas
    This thread should be titled... YOU'VE GOT TO SEE THIS
    Can't wait till your frame arrives.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

mine is on order

I ordered one a while ago after my Mariachi was stolen

Hopefully, it will be ready in mid-Summer. My build idea was similar to yours!

I am very excited. Steve's brother was my middle school teacher, and I met him a few times while in high school, riding by the garage in which he was welding on my way up Mt. Tam.

Have fun!

~~~

HOLY Smokes! That's quite a collection of vintage bikes you've got there!

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    rim brakes!
    Yeah, he seems to do lot of rim brake bikes, still. A lot of fans of the roller cams and Cunningham's linkage brakes. As we said in the 90's, they're "Trick"!

Quote Originally Posted by deardorff8x10 View Post
    I ordered one a while ago after my Mariachi was stolen

Hopefully, it will be ready in mid-Summer. My build idea was similar to yours!

I am very excited. Steve's brother was my middle school teacher, and I met him a few times while in high school, riding by the garage in which he was welding on my way up Mt. Tam.

Have fun!
    Very cool! It will be fun to meet up and ride if you're still in the Bay Area!

~~~

BIG Update!

It's been a while since I've had any updates to share. After my visit with him in December, he still had to add all the finishing touches to the frame, and he also had to build the fork. I knew he was busy working on many projects. So I waited. It turned out he had several forks to make, so he saved set-up time by making several at once. The fork is with the painter this week, so it should be done very soon.

If you've been following Steve's blog, you know he's been cranking out a bunch of new stems. A few weeks ago, he emailed me to see if I had ordered a stem. (He was about to head into the shop to do some mitering, and he wanted to make sure he didn't forget anyone. I had not ordered a stem.) After a couple more email exchanges with him... attached below is a picture of my new stem.

I knew Steve was going to get really busy around this time of year as he prepares for the NAHBS in March. I was just hoping to get my bike before the show. He sent me the pic of the stems last night with a note saying the fork is being painted this week. So I went to bed very happy, knowing that I'll be getting my bike any day now. This morning, I get another email from Steve:

"I have an opportunity to show your bike at the NAHBS. I have been asked to enter a 29er for best titanium and best tig welded bike. It can be shown as a frame or complete bike. The show is March 2,3 and 4th. Let me know if this is something you would like to do."

Looks like I'll be going to Sacramento for the handmade bike show this year!

Edit: Photo credit goes to Steve. Check out his blog here: stevepottsbicycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-dsc04135-1-.jpg  

Last edited by tburger; 02-08-2012 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just sent off an email for a stem for mine. If yours fits as well as mine does you will be a very happy man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Subscribed. Can't wait to see the story unfold.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome thread! I've been very pleased with my Silk Ti 29er and have been considering adding a rigid at some point. And now the stems (drool!)

mtbr member
    [I]"I have an opportunity to show your bike at the NAHBS.]
    Great news for you (and Steve)- Congrats! I can see why he choose your bike to display since it will have the frame, fork and stem. I'm sure you already mentioned this earlier in the post but will you run his bars as well?

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    rim brakes!
    - a blast from the past!
    Last edited by stan lee; 02-08-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Crazed Country Rebel
    it's been a while since i've had any updates to share. After my visit with him in december, he still had to add all the finishing touches to the frame, and he also had to build the fork. I knew he was busy working on many projects. So i waited. It turned out he had several forks to make, so he saved set-up time by making several at once. The fork is with the painter this week, so it should be done very soon.

if you've been following steve's blog, you know he's been cranking out a bunch of new stems. A few weeks ago, he emailed me to see if i had ordered a stem. (he was about to head into the shop to do some mitering, and he wanted to make sure he didn't forget anyone. I had not ordered a stem.) after a couple more email exchanges with him... Attached below is a picture of my new stem.

I knew steve was going to get really busy around this time of year as he prepares for the nahbs in march. I was just hoping to get my bike before the show. He sent me the pic of the stems last night with a note saying the fork is being painted this week. So i went to bed very happy, knowing that i'll be getting my bike any day now. This morning, i get another email from steve:

"i have an opportunity to show your bike at the nahbs. I have been asked to enter a 29er for best titanium and best tig welded bike. It can be shown as a frame or complete bike. The show is march 2,3 and 4th. Let me know if this is something you would like to do."

looks like i'll be going to sacramento for the handmade bike show this year! :d :d :d

edit: Photo credit goes to steve. Check out his blog here: stevepottsbicycles
    do want!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

~~~

Almost there!

First of all, sorry, I don't have more interesting pics to share yet. As you can imagine, the painter has been slammed with work as the handmade bike show draws near. But the fork is painted and back in Steve's hands as of today, and I can go pick everything up tomorrow! I'll just have a few days to enjoy it in my hands, though. I'll be building it up over the next few days, then it will go back to Steve for the trip to Sacramento for the bike show. While waiting for everything to get done, I've just been thinking about the build, and making sure I have all the tools and parts I need to do a proper build. I won't have much time to make those frantic last minute trips to various bike shops looking for stuff like inserts and olives for Shimano brake hoses. I believe I have all my ducks in a row and I'm really rearing to go!

So get ready folks! I may not have much time to put together coherent posts, but I will be updating the thread with lots of pics over the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9298.jpg  

mtbr member
    As long as you post pictures your lack of coherency will be overlooked.

mtbr member
    The fact that Potts pulled a bike out of the regular queue for NAHBS just elevated him, in my mind, to the top of an already distinguished field
    Looking forward to the rest.
    Cheers,
    M

~~~
    Got the frame, fork, and stem today. The frame is a beauty, and I'm so happy with how the fork turned out. The color is great. Looks a bit reddish in the photo, but it's a really nice classic orange and cream. Rick at D&D really nailed it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330216868.706292.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330216898.336954.jpg  

nothing to see here
    Why is the brake hose guide on the front of the fork?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Why is the brake hose guide on the front of the fork?
    Where else would it be? That's where I had mine on my Type II. The cable came down to the guide and wrapped inside the fork perfectly. Never budged and was tucked out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those are the photos you had time to snap and upload WTF. More!!!
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Cool, D&D are still around?? I had a Sycip done by them 'back in the day', really nice paint.

Orange and cream was a classy choice.

mtbr member
    Will you run his bars as well? That would be a nice touch on one of his show bikes! Did Rick run the crown paint onto the legs or is that just the picture?

mtbr member
    whooa really really classy !

Mister Potts is a master

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krinkncrank View Post
    Awesome thread! I've been very pleased with my Silk Ti 29er and have been considering adding a rigid at some point. And now the stems (drool!)
    So how do you like your silk ti. What are you running in the front? I have been thinking a silk ti ss would be a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    So how do you like your silk ti. What are you running in the front? I have been thinking a silk ti ss would be a sweet ride.
    It IS a sweet ride. I have been running the same Maverick SC32 fork on the front that I first installed. No complaints, except that if I change out the fork at some point, I'll have to change out the King hub axle too as the Maverick runs a 24mm axle.

I'm also keeping an eye on the forks out there and wondering if the new over-sized 1.5" lower headset size will become more standard. Steve said if I wanted to he could replace the steerer tube and swap in the 1.5x1.125 size. I'm still waiting and seeing.

I had juicy sever brakes originally, which sucked. I've moved up to Saint calipers and levers, with 203mm front, 180mm rear rotors. Brakes are now awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got the frame, fork, and stem today. The frame is a beauty, and I'm so happy with how the fork turned out. The color is great. Looks a bit reddish in the photo, but it's a really nice classic orange and cream. Rick at D&D really nailed it!
    What diameter top and bottom tubes are those?

Looks sweet

Mojo

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking good!

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by unsub1 View Post
    Where else would it be? That's where I had mine on my Type II. The cable came down to the guide and wrapped inside the fork perfectly. Never budged and was tucked out of the way.
    I think Pereira(?) has a really elegant way of routing behind the crown of the fork. All the Type II forks I've seen has the guide on the front. Or have brake studs.

~~~
    Will you run his bars as well? That would be a nice touch on one of his show bikes! Did Rick run the crown paint onto the legs or is that just the picture?
    I'm running Jones Loop H-bars.

It looks like the way he masks the fork for painting puts a little of the crown color on the legs.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    What diameter top and bottom tubes are those?

Looks sweet

Mojo
    They're both 1 3/8" tubes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    post some more pics already!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz View Post
    The fact that Potts pulled a bike out of the regular queue for NAHBS just elevated him, in my mind, to the top of an already distinguished field
    Looking forward to the rest.
    Cheers,
    M
    I was thinking the same thing

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Those are the photos you had time to snap and upload WTF. More!!!
    I'm trying!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9328.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9326.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9335.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9341.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9342.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9343.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9346.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9351.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9385.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9386.jpg  

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    post some more pics already!
    Almost done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9389.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9394.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9396.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9356.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0587.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9358.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9361.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0582.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0590.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0596.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's looking sweet...

Handlebars aren't my cup of tea, but it all hangs together nicely.

Not so sure about the need for two saddles mind

If you don't mind me asking, whats the weld under the tt/stays junction on the seat tube for?
    Getting older... One day at a time.

Fan of 'Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalheart View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, whats the weld under the tt/stays junction on the seat tube for?
    stevepottsbicycles: Seat Tube Collar Section

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got my big box of parts from Bikerbob yesterday. Spent some time last night checking everything out, and then I geeked out and had some weight weenie fun putting everything on the kitchen scale. I can post actual weights if anyone is interested. Took some photos today to share with you all.

More silver bits in the mix. Not much to say about the Cane Creek 110 headset. The interlocking alloy spacers they come with are kinda neat. I chose the White Industries MI6 hubs because they were a good compromise between cost, quality, weight, and performance. Plus, they're another good local company. These are going to be built into a nice reliable wheelset with stainless steel spokes.

The Shimano drivetrain looks pretty slick. I went with the slightly more expensive shifters with the integrated mounts. It should make for a nice clean look while still providing lots of adjustability. The weight of all the Shimano stuff is pretty close to what's advertised, except for the cassette. This 11-36 cassette weighs in at a portly 345g.

I'm off work next week, and it looks like I may be able to squeeze in a visit to the shop while Steve does some work. It would be awesome if I could actually see some work on tubing that will eventually become my bike. I'll try to take pics if this pans out!
    Nice looking hubs,it would be nice to see more manufactures would offer polished hubs

aka baycat
    Does this bike go off sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    looking so good.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Almost done!
    Beautiful frame... It was all going so well till those bars. Like wearing a simple, classy, perfectly tailored suit... and then throwing on a 10 gallon cowboy hat.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    holy crap that's a nice rig!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Fantastic! I bought my airfare a few nights ago and I very much look forward to seeing this at NAHBS this weekend.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalheart View Post
    That's looking sweet...

Handlebars aren't my cup of tea, but it all hangs together nicely.

Not so sure about the need for two saddles mind

Quote Originally Posted by h2otaco View Post
    Beautiful frame... It was all going so well till those bars. Like wearing a simple, classy, perfectly tailored suit... and then throwing on a 10 gallon cowboy hat.
    Yeah, I hear ya. That's the thing about these alternative bars. You either love 'em or hate 'em. So far, they feel really comfy and natural in my hands. I agree they don't look as nice and clean as a simple straight Ti bar, but I've been getting some wrist pain on extended rides with standard bars. The Jones bars have been growing on me over the past year as I've been looking at other builds in the forum. And I think dRjOn's Vertigo is one of the sexiest bikes out there.

I'm also going to be running a dropper post, and I KNOW that'll rub a lot of Ti hardtail fanatics the wrong way.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    terrible heinous bad welds..

mtbr member
    See that's the thing tburger, its your bike you can put wtf YOU want on it. If I don't like it? Who cares.

Its all good. Embrace diversity.

I've been enjoying this thread a lot. So thanks.

(Oh and halaburt, thanks for the link, thought it must be something like that!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, I hear ya. That's the thing about these alternative bars. You either love 'em or hate 'em. So far, they feel really comfy and natural in my hands. I agree they don't look as nice and clean as a simple straight Ti bar, but I've been getting some wrist pain on extended rides with standard bars. The Jones bars have been growing on me over the past year as I've been looking at other builds in the forum. And I think dRjOn's Vertigo is one of the sexiest bikes out there.

I'm also going to be running a dropper post, and I KNOW that'll rub a lot of Ti hardtail fanatics the wrong way.
    A dropper post is different it serves a useful purpose. And I understand riding with bars with tons of sweep like mustache bars.

But those bars are just too much IMO... on some kind of 100 mile cargo bike or something I could see the multiple hand positions being useful, just not on a mountain bike... especially a beautifully simple rigid hardtail like that.

Take this as my opinion though... ride what feels good to you. I don't mean to rain on your parade... the bike is freaking gorgeous.

mtbr member
    the bike is freaking gorgeous
    This ^^^^^

mnoutain bkie rdier

kweshin

why is there a weld under the top tube and seat stays (on the seat tube). never have seen that before..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    why is there a weld under the top tube and seat stays (on the seat tube). never have seen that before..
    My disgraced dean Duke had that too. I always figured it was maybe it's a length of straight gauge tubing welded to the butted tubing... allowing it to make 100% positive contact with the post?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Read up, see post 111 as to the seat tube welding.

~~~
    Like wearing a simple, classy, perfectly tailored suit... and then throwing on a 10 gallon cowboy hat.
    It's got a gigantic head.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRmLGYSc0XQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRmLGYSc0XQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Take this as my opinion though... ride what feels good to you. I don't mean to rain on your parade... the bike is freaking gorgeous.
    Of course! No offense taken whatsoever!

mtbr member
    Original Ibis Mojo's and Ti Mojo's were done this way too.

Beautiful bike. Congrats. To this day, the most beautiful mountain bike I've ever seen was a burgundy fillet brazed Potts w/ Type II fork that was sold from the old Wheelsmith store in downtown P.A. in 1990-91..... grease guard hubs, roller cam brakes, flared drop bars....I'll never forget it. Purchased by a Japanese tourist moments after he stepped off the tour bus on Hamilton Ave.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    Does this bike go off sweet jumps?
    Yeah. Did Potts make you some sweet pegs to put on the back?

~~~
    Well, here she is, folks! Finished final cable and hose adjustments this morning, then had a little time to snap a few pics. The bike is now out of my hands and headed back to Steve for the handmade bike show. I believe he'll swap the bars out for the show so he can showcase all his component goodies, too.

My initial excitement started to turn into stress yesterday as the final pieces were coming together. I kept second guessing myself, thinking I made "wrong" choices, and it would all be out there for the world of Pros to see. But it's done and out of my hands now. I *think* I did a respectable job with the build and paid attention to detail. Now I can relax a bit and then go have some fun at the show drooling at everyone else's bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9397.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9404.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9405.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9406.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9409.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9410.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9412.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9414.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9417.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9418.jpg  

~~~
    Lots more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9420.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9421.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9426.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9434.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9422.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9437.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9439.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9440.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9460.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9463.jpg  

~~~
    Bathroom scale method tells me the bike weighs in right around 24 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9448.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9458.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9466.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9467.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9469.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9470.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9472.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That looks great. Looking forward to hearing ride reports after NAHBS.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Bike looks beautiful. Congrats !

What length and į is the stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
    Bike looks beautiful. Congrats !

What length and į is the stem?
    Thanks! Stem is 80mm 0į rise.

mtbr member
    ...............and tell the builder to relax. He did a nice job.

Hi.
    The stem and fork are hott.

More Torque
    Looking forward to seeing it on the trail!

-D

Crazed Country Rebel
    Lots more!
    dude, that bike is freeking awesome. It's and "heirloom" quality bike. That thing will still be around when your grand kids are learning to ride.

And the seat post is stealth enough to look totally legit.

Congrats.!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What a beautiful bike! I'm not a hardtail fan (for the riding I do), but this thread caught my attention, and I've enjoyed following the bike's creation. And the final product is gorgeous! You've done a great job capturing all the nice touches. You must be proud to own it! Congrats!

mtbr member
    i dont think there is anything for you to worry about...thats quite the machine! function and beauty and craftsmanship....

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

Low Rep Count
    If you think you are proud now, wait until you go to the show and see it sitting in Steve's booth and you can tell other people looking at it that it is your bike!!! Congrats, you and Steve (well we knew Steve would) did a great job on building this bike!!

fc
    Should try a Brooks saddle on that thing.

Mtbr will have a booth at the show video interviewing builders. I want to interview you too with that bike. I want you to esplain yourself and the process. Get ready. I'll buy you a Pliny.

fc

gobsmacked Moderator
    Great frame and forks. The XT parts look good on there too. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the bars, grips and saddle on there but glad you love it! Jamming the seatpost down makes it look like a dj bike!

mtbr member
    Pure sex machine!
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    If you think you are proud now, wait until you go to the show and see it sitting in Steve's booth and you can tell other people looking at it that it is your bike!!! Congrats, you and Steve (well we knew Steve would) did a great job on building this bike!!
    He's right. My bike was in the 2007 show and it was a lot of fun talking to people about it. Steve was the nicest builder I met at the show. Great guy.

mtbr member
    What a beautiful machine. Congratulations to both you and the artist! Thanks for the thread and letting us tag along.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    orange saddle (fizik) , orange chunky grips and a couple of highlight (aka..none up front) maxxis orange jagwire cables and the bike will look right...

9/10 as is

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    fantastic work! both from the legendary Mr. Potts, and your build choice and clean set up

happy trails from London, England!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep, pretty good looking rig. I'm not wild about the cable routing, especially the seat control cable hanging down off the top tube, and I would have made some different component choices, but I think you'll be very happy with the bike and it should be a keeper.

Hi.
    Yep, pretty good looking rig. I'm not wild about the cable routing, especially the seat control cable hanging down off the top tube,
    Just a fyi, it hangs down when the seatpost is dropped because it has to (that's how it works.) When the seatpost is in normal riding position, it doesn't hang down. That's why some of the pics show the loop below the top tube, and others don't.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Gotcha. Will it slap against the top tube when you're riding on a bumpy section?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Well, the dropper post suggests an aggressive rider but the bars don't really give the same impression.

Anyhow, I love Steve. I have 3 of his (older steel) bikes right now and think him fantastic. Congratulations on the frameset.

~~~
    Yep, pretty good looking rig. I'm not wild about the cable routing, especially the seat control cable hanging down off the top tube, and I would have made some different component choices, but I think you'll be very happy with the bike and it should be a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Just a fyi, it hangs down when the seatpost is dropped because it has to (that's how it works.) When the seatpost is in normal riding position, it doesn't hang down. That's why some of the pics show the loop below the top tube, and others don't.
    Gotcha. Will it slap against the top tube when you're riding on a bumpy section?
    Thanks!

Are you referring to how the seatpost hose sags a bit underneath the down tube? I noticed that too. It sags a bit more when the post is fully extended. But I think there's a trick to housing set-up to make it sit closer to the frame. If it slaps around, I can put a rubber bumper on the hose.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Well, the dropper post suggests an aggressive rider but the bars don't really give the same impression.

Anyhow, I love Steve. I have 3 of his (older steel) bikes right now and think him fantastic. Congratulations on the frameset.
    Thanks again!

Steve is fantastic and just a lot of fun to be around! Where can we see your older Potts bikes?

It's interesting that the dropper post is still associated with aggressive riding. I rarely drop it all the way down. And although I don't go HUGE, I do like to jump off of things. To me, it's more about being able to put the saddle in the best position for any given situation, going up or down hill.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I remember back in the day (mid~late 1980's) having a Ti Hite Rite with Interloc remote seatpost quick release. I liked the convenience of moving the seat height up and down on the fly whenever I liked. You have a modern version of the same thing it looks like.

~~~
    Here's the build list. I recorded all this weight weenie info, so I might as well share this, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-weeniesheet.gif  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Thanks again!

Steve is fantastic and just a lot of fun to be around! Where can we see your older Potts bikes?

It's interesting that the dropper post is still associated with aggressive riding. I rarely drop it all the way down. And although I don't go HUGE, I do like to jump off of things. To me, it's more about being able to put the saddle in the best position for any given situation, going up or down hill.
    ooooh! I love your spreadsheet.

My Potts are in the vintage forum.

mtbr member
    That turned out really nice for such a small frame! You seem to have plenty of clearance both for tires and top tube plus the positioning looks good for such a long tt. I'm not a big fan of the bars or post either but i'm sure functionally you have them on there for a reason which makes sense. Thanks again for keeping all of us posted and enjoy the show.

~~~
    I just got a sneak peek last night (courtesy of halaburt ) of how the bike will be set up for the show. It looks freakin fantastic. It will showcase Steve's work very nicely. I'm going to resist posting pics before the show. For the VRC fans, there will also be a vintage '89 Potts at the show that is a very similar frame size. It's really neat seeing the 2 bikes side by side!

gobsmacked Moderator
    See what a difference a bar makes? Now...grips.....

mtbr member
    I guess I'm the minority that thinks the Jones loop bar is a great choice, though I do agree that you should try some different grips. They seem kind of contradictory. While the bars are trying to give you infinite, subtly-different hand positions, the comfort bike grips are kind of saying "your hands go here." Have you thought about trying the cork grip and wrap method that Jeff uses, and putting the shifters on the forward section? like this:

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-x_a2.jpg

By the way, at the beginning of the thread, you said there was going to be a "surprise." I'm still anxious to discover what it is.... Was it the show entry, or something else you haven't shown us?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    I guess I'm the minority that thinks the Jones loop bar is a great choice, though I do agree that you should try some different grips. They seem kind of contradictory. While the bars are trying to give you infinite, subtly-different hand positions, the comfort bike grips are kind of saying "your hands go here." Have you thought about trying the cork grip and wrap method that Jeff uses, and putting the shifters on the forward section? like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X_a2.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	678026

By the way, at the beginning of the thread, you said there was going to be a "surprise." I'm still anxious to discover what it is.... Was it the show entry, or something else you haven't shown us?
    Oh, that surprise comment was directed at Plim. He's a nut for the color orange, and the color for the fork was a work in progress at the time. Didn't mean to lead you on!

My hands are on the small side, so I do have room to move around a bit despite the large surface area for the palms. I did see a lot of loop bar set ups, so I'm familiar with the options. I have bar tape set aside, too. Nothing is set in stone, so I can change anything that ends up not working. I just wanted to try it out and decide for myself.

I also have my own opinion on aesthetics, and even though I think a straight bar and standard grips look best, I also do like the loop bar look. However, I'm not crazy about the look of some of the other big sweep bars. Go figure. I am making an aesthetic compromise with the seatpost, though. I really wanted a silver or Ti post, but I do love using a dropper post. And all the posts are black! One of the reasons the cable guides for the post are under the TT is because they're out of the way if I don't run a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

... and if we just ...

I am making an aesthetic compromise with the seatpost, though. I really wanted a silver or Ti post, but I do love using a dropper post. And all the posts are black!
    time to do some cookin'! recipe starts here: bit.ly/zdGXYR
    Last edited by kittytrail; 03-02-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: removing of superfluous quoted text...

~~~
    I just got a sneak peek last night (courtesy of halaburt ) of how the bike will be set up for the show. It looks freakin fantastic. It will showcase Steve's work very nicely. I'm going to resist posting pics before the show. For the VRC fans, there will also be a vintage '89 Potts at the show that is a very similar frame size. It's really neat seeing the 2 bikes side by side!
    Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-nahbs1.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-nahbs3.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-nahbs2.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-nahbs4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Holy gigantic stem alert! That's halfway into the next state!

Takes me right back that does...

mtbr member
    Wow. Such a practical build. I wouldn't change a thing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    O god with the flat bar that is the sexiest ride ive seen in a long time.i enve your new toy

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    x2 reaaaaalllly sweet looking rig.

~~~
    Wow. Just, WOW. Steve was really stoked. There were so many awesome bikes here today. Eriksen and Potts came out tied! Eriksen's bikes were beautiful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330827210.599999.jpg  

mtbr member
    For me though, Potts have an aura about them that Eriksen just doesn't have. Doesnt mean I don't appreciate them, it just that my boat isn't being floated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What a great outcome to this whole thread! Congratulations to Steve - and to you for having such a great bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Aye, I ran into Steve 2 minutes after he won the award. He was incredibly happy with it. I'm glad to see a local builder get some national level recognition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pics
    I think I've found my dreambike, I want a replica of the blue dropbar bike made from ti. I was watching Kluckerz last night and realized this when they showed old pics of Steve with what looked like mountain bike touring set ups.

Edit: Awesome bike of course, congratulations to Steve, enjoy the hell out of your ride!
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 03-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
    For me though, Potts have an aura about them that Eriksen just doesn't have. Doesnt mean I don't appreciate them, it just that my boat isn't being floated.
    Of course, I agree with your statement 100%. Although I can't quite articulate why my boat isn't floated either.

Here's the bike that shared the Best Ti Construction honors. Obviously orange is a winning color! Curved TT/SS 650b SS w/ EBB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330895472.058118.jpg  

~~~
    Aye, I ran into Steve 2 minutes after he won the award. He was incredibly happy with it. I'm glad to see a local builder get some national level recognition.
    He's a very humble guy. We were chatting before he had to bring the bike to judging, and it sounded like he didn't want to set either of us up for a major letdown. The other bikes were very impressive. He was genuinely very happy and appreciative of receiving the award. He really does pour his heart into his work.

Hi.
    I'm glad to see a local builder get some national level recognition.
    Steve already has it Both he and Eriksen have been building since the first MTB brands were created, and were instrumental in how bikes are made today. Truly a battle of two godfathers of MTB, who still both build some of the best frames in the world.

Fan of 'Hams
    Steve already has it Both he and Eriksen have been building since the first MTB brands were created, and were instrumental in how bikes are made today. Truly a battle of two godfathers of MTB, who still both build some of the best frames in the world.
    And they happen to be very close friends. Steve here (middle) with Kent and Katie Eriksen and the winning Ti bikes:

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think you misunderstood me a bit. In the circle jerk that is the internet's fascination with frame building Steve most certainly does not get due recognition for his current work. The vintage mtb community that lusts after his WTBs etc is such a small subset of the potential audience for his work that it is silly. While Firefly is a different design and marketing ethos it is easy to look at their national/international level splash in the last year versus Steve's and see that there is a gap.

mtbr member
    Both he and Eriksen have been building since the first MTB brands were created, and were instrumental in how bikes are made today. Truly a battle of two godfathers of MTB, who still both build some of the best frames in the world.
    I agree 100%- both bikes/builders deserve the recognition. I really like Kent's bike with the sloping tt! Cool photo Geoff, it's great to see Kent and Steve side by side. I know they've been close friends over the last 30 years but I think I've only seen one other pic of them together- Steve was on a steel Potts and Kent was on a steel Moots

mtbr member
    I think you misunderstood me a bit. In the circle jerk that is the internet's fascination with frame building Steve most certainly does not get due recognition for his current work. The vintage mtb community that lusts after his WTBs etc is such a small subset of the potential audience for his work that it is silly. While Firefly is a different design and marketing ethos it is easy to look at their national/international level splash in the last year versus Steve's and see that there is a gap.
    *golf clap* All too true.

Low Rep Count
    Well, that is just awesome! Congrats to all!!!! Great thread with a great ending!

fc
    I interviewed these two characters and wrote an article.

Buying & Building the Steve Potts 2012 Award Winning Ti Bike | Mountain Bike Review

fc

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I interviewed these two characters and wrote an article.

Buying & Building the Steve Potts 2012 Award Winning Ti Bike | Mountain Bike Review

fc
    Thanks FC! That was really cool hanging out with the mtbr crew at the show. I think Steve Potts will get very busy this year!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What an awesome article. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r3xnvb View Post
    What an awesome article. Congrats!
    +1

Having read that (and this) I want one.... Look forwards to the ride reports and field photos.

mtbr member
    May 2011

A Modern Classic--Steve Potts

Been reading the Steve Potts thread and the Buying and Building piece--great stuff. Especially enjoyed the building process; I recently took delivery of my own Steve Potts-- and would have loved to see the bike take shape up close but geography prohibited. I did get to sit down and talk to Steve during a too short visit to Point Reyes (just passing through). I just wanted to see his shop out of curiosity but after talking to him, there was no doubt I had to have him build me a bike.

Crazed Country Rebel
    I think Steve Potts will get very busy this year!
    I hope so. he deserves it.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

~~~

It's Dirty

I finally got the bike back, and it finally stopped raining long enough for some of the trails to drain and dry a bit. After a couple of spins around the neighborhood to adjust the saddle and bar angles, I got the chance to take it out to some real singletrack trails earlier this week for it's final shakedown. I knew I would get the bike muddy, but I didn't care. I HAD to ride it!

I took it easy, mainly because of my lack of conditioning. I only have some initial impressions now, since it was just a short ride, but the bike fits like a glove, as it should, and I felt right at home and dialed in almost right away. Slowly climbing a series of 180 degree switchbacks was not a problem, nor was descending the same switchbacks at speed. The bike felt stable whether I was carving tight singletrack or opening it up on a fast fireroad descent. The few short, technical rocky descents were not a problem. This has been the rigid ride I've been looking for.

The geometry is definitely XC oriented. Although stable and confidence inspiring, it is not easy to pop the front wheel up. Bunny hops are easy since the bike is pretty light and very well balanced, and I also have balloony tires, but I do have to work on my timing and weight shifts a bit to get air off of lips, obstacles, or dropping of ledges. I love having the dropper post, and the bars feel totally natural to me. They actually felt really good zipping through the tight singletrack. The 2x10 gearing will take a bit more getting used to. A short technical climb with a fast approach foiled me. I would normally stay in my middle ring (32t, 26in. wheels) and downshift the rear to the 32t or 34t cog and hammer up the hill. But now I have to make sure I get to my 26t ring up front. It's more of a mental exercise, but hopefully, my brain will adjust.

I'll be taking it on a much longer ride this weekend, so I should have more ride impressions to follow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-538916_10150692195518213_611473212_9378491_100159639_n.jpg  

Last edited by tburger; 04-03-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: pic disappeared

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    That's a huge grin..... congrats on getting the bike dirty at last.

~~~

Dirty, Dirty Ti!

Joined in on a fun NorCal mtbr group ride this past Sunday (42 miles, 5,300 ft. of climbing) which consisted of a good mix of road and trail riding. A very fitting ride, as a lot of the area was the original stomping grounds of Steve's. For those that are familiar with Marin, we did a loop from Larkspur back to the Golden Gate Bridge, down through Tennessee Valley, up and over Mt. Tam, down Eldridge Grade to Ross and back to Larkspur. A lot of people noticed and admired the bike, and itís now nice and muddy and looks like a real mountain bike. A nice bonus on this ride was an old WTB Phoenix sighting as we were riding by Phoenix Lake!

This ride consisted of about 15 miles of pavement, lots of fireroad climbing and descending, and some singletrack. After about mile 25, my saddle sore was really kicking in, but I was still having a blast on the bike. Again, the bike handles superbly and it fits like a glove. The 29er wheels really makes this the perfect rigid XC bike that Iíve been looking for. Itís stable, predictable, and responsive, and Iím most pleased with how well it handles in tight, technical situations. The handling really is precise! ("Precise" is one of Steve's favorite descriptions of how his bikes handle) Even with the bigger tires, I would probably choose not to bomb down Eldridge too many times on a rigid bike, though! Iím really happy with the bike, and I keep looking forward to the next ride.

Below are my thoughts on specific components. So you won't miss much if you stop reading here.

The Jones bars totally work for me. Really liked them. Even in conjunction with the Ergon grips. After taking a little time to tweak the angle of the bars and the grips, my hands and arms were very happy after the ride. Most importantly for me, my left wrist, which I've been having problems with, did not hurt. The front loop part was great for getting into a more aero position and grinding it out on the flat. The downside is the weight, and you may be in a less desirable position to really lift the front end up. But I need more time in techy conditions to be sure. So far, they are going to stay put.

2x10 XT group was perfect for this ride. Shifts were flawless, but not snappy like SRAM. I think I mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread that the shifters are adjustable. They are NOT very adjustable. In fact, the set-up is stupid because you have to undo the whole brake lever clamp in order to make adjustments, so it's not feasible to do it on the trail. Brakes were excellent. I felt very minor fade towards the bottom of the long super rocky downhill.

I used the dropper post all day and I'm glad I have it.

The White Industries rear hub is not for you if you need instant engagement. They're very fast spinning and smooth. And shiny. Can't say I noticed any more or less stiffness/flexiness from using Revolution spokes. Whatever. The wheels stayed true, so I will pat myself on the back for a successful build!

I love the Ardents. Low psi, tubeless, knobby, and pretty low rolling resistance. I think they're great for all around riding and pretty close to perfect for my needs. If only they were lighter.

Worthless without pics! First 2 pics courtesy of theseawind. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-gg2mb_potts2.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-gg2mb_potts1.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0745.jpg  

~~~
    Knocked out another epic XC ride this weekend. I met up with a group of friends for a full day in the saddle out at Henry Coe State Park. When the day was done, I racked up another 32.6 miles and 6,750 ft. of climbing on the Potts. This was another great test for the bike. It is well known around these parts that when you plan a ride at Coe, you must account for the Coe Factor. If you survive the long grueling, and sometimes insanely steep climbs, you are rewarded with seemingly endless super-fast singletrack descents.

More pics and ride re-caps in the thread here on the NorCal board:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...ml#post9188979

Once again, the bike performed flawlessly, and I got my first crash out of the way. Scuffed my handlebars and my XT brake reservoir cover. My fellow riders said I was in for some punishment for the day with a rigid bike, but I honestly felt great afterwards! My wrists and hands felt perfectly fine, so again, kudos to the Jones bars. The downside, still, which was totally expected, is that I cannot blast down the hills without suspension. The tires and big wheels help a lot, though. I also have to watch for pedal strikes in the rocky sections. Climbing up steep hills on this bike is wonderful. This is probably the best climbing bike I've owned. The low front end is really nice, and I do feel my weight is balanced all the time.

What I noticed after this ride was that my fatigue and pain wasn't any worse riding rigid than riding with full-suspension. I think any ride that I would be comfortable doing with a 4-inch travel suspension bike, I would be comfortable doing with this bike. I have to check my speed with the really fast chunky downhills, but that's okay with me. Sometimes you just can't pick good lines, and rolling/pedaling stutter-bumpy trails will rob you of momentum and speed. Again, the big wheels help, but does not take the place of well tuned suspension. I'm surprised by how well I did on the climbs with the 2x10 gearing. I really thought I would be hurting more, but I think I'll have a better feel for that when my conditioning returns to pre-injury levels.

Couple of pics courtesy of Skyline35.

And a couple of pics I took.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9686.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9732.jpg  

mtbr member

Orange Potts

Saw the OP's Potts at NAHMBS and it was sweet. Swapped out a few parts on my 2007 Potts to improve ride and spice it up a bit... Steve is a fantastic builder and a even better man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-potts-4140287.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-potts-4140289.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-potts-4140293.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-potts-4140292.jpg  

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    Saw the OP's Potts at NAHMBS and it was sweet. Swapped out a few parts on my 2007 Potts to improve ride and spice it up a bit... Steve is a fantastic builder and a even better man.
    Wow. I think my frame can fit inside your frame.

Very nice upgrades, indeed! Thanks for sharing pics. We need more Potts photos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0808.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    We need more Potts photos!
    We can do that.

One of my Potts' is nearing 20 years old and just got back from a hard weekend of racing at the Keyesville Classic.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Wow. I think my frame can fit inside your frame.
    Ha Ha, I bet it would! Sweet bike you have even though I got a lot more Titanium for my money!

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    We can do that.

One of my Potts' is nearing 20 years old and just got back from a hard weekend of racing at the Keyesville Classic.
    Still one of my favorites of your collection. What is that trail? Snake Bite? Snake Pit? As usual, pics make that section look easy. Been there once, and it's an awesome place to ride!

Hi.
    Still one of my favorites of your collection. What is that trail? Snake Bite? Snake Pit? As usual, pics make that section look easy. Been there once, and it's an awesome place to ride!
    Clearing the snake pit like a boss.

Peter, you are putting some serious miles on that new bike. Awesome

~~~

10 Month Update!

Seeing a new Potts thread in the 29er forum reminded me I should post an update for my bike! It's been 10 full months now, and I've put on 760 miles on the Potts. That's about 56% of my total mileage since Feb 2012. I pretty much do all my XC riding on this bike. Any place where high speed chunky descents or air time is the highlight, I take an FS bike. That's not to say I don't ride anything rough with this bike. It certainly can handle it, but it gets really rough as the speed increases.

So what's new or different since I've put this bike together and knocked out a few miles on it? Not much really, which is great! I swapped the rear derailleur out to the XT Shadow Plus. That got rid of quite a bit of chainslap noise. I still don't feel the need to wrap the chainstay. I just have a bit of clear protective tape on it. Other than tensioning the spokes a few times, everything has been working flawlessly with no maintenance other than lubing the chain and derailleur pivots. I just serviced the bottom bracket, and that was still pretty clean. I only clean the bike if it gets caked with mud. That's probably what I love most about the bike. It feels and looks like a pure, simple, mountain bike. I ride it as much as I can without babying it. I put it away dirty. Then I just want to ride it again.

As for durability, I've scraped the brake lever, grip ends, and handlebar in a crash, but the frame and fork escaped unscathed. I've put a couple of minor flat spots in the Crest rims, but haven't had any issues with the wheels or tires. I can see the bike benefitting from stiffer wheels, but carbon rims just wouldn't seem right on this particular build. The Ardent tires are wearing extremely well, and they see all kinds of conditions, including pavement. The Rockshox Reverb post has not given me any issues yet, however, it may almost be due for a bleed. The saddle still looks great and practically new. The leather seems very high quality. The 2x10 drivetrain is still performing flawlessly. Truly everything has been set and forget.

Minor and not so minor details? I think I would have either added a third cable guide in the middle of the top tube, or I would have waited for double guides for both brake and seatpost hoses to run along the top of the toptube. Without the third guide, the seatpost hose sags more than I would like. It actually slaps the frame during high speed descents. I added a plastic Jagwire guide. The bike still looks good, but I do notice the bead blasted finish of the frame shows scuffs easily (like on the toptube where I straddle the frame), and the cable rub areas are now practically polished, but I did deliberately ignore those. I want every one of those scuffs, scrapes, and rub marks to show proudly when I'm 80 years old and puttering along a bike path.

I may experiment with putting on some skinny tires for the remainder of the winter season. Other than that, I really haven't felt the need to make any changes. Still a happy camper, er, rider!

First pic is Dirt Rag Issue #263. The DR folks picked out 5 of their favorite bikes from NAHBS 2012.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-72974_10150794712263692_1694214594_n.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0998.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9924.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    That's fantastic news. It's so sad when people shell a ton of money on a custom bike and don't ride it and it sounds like you're doing it justice.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 01-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Peter. Also your detailed reply to my inquiry on the Potts...much appreciated.

Love all your pics in this thread. Not only of the bike but the trails and surrounding areas. Looks like a slice of heaven up there.

Yeah basically I want one !

Any mtbr thread that has Potts, Ericksen or Kish content is bookmarked here...
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 01-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast