Moab 24 hour tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Moab 24 hour tires

I know this question has been asked before but with new tires coming out ever couple of months or so I feel it is ok to ask again.

24 hours of Moab
    Rider weight 205
    Stans Arch Rims
    Run Tubless
    Gary Fisher Superfly

What do you guys think the best tire is for this set up, looking to keep the weight down if possible?

Jul 2007
    I'm not sure that I can give a specific recommendation as I am still trying to decide what I want to run this year, but here are my thoughts. Last year was my first time riding the course and I just stuck w/ Rampages f/r tubeless on 355/arch rims. Not bad (especially up front) but not optimal. The technical rocky sections are really not very rough on tires (at least compared to what I ride on the east coast) and everything seems to stick to the rocks so for that part of the course the tire selection does not seem critical. However, you will want something that will roll fast for the 'around the rock' part of the course and you will want a higher volume tire for the soft sandy sections.

I will probably not buy anything new, instead grabbing something from my collection of tires which includes the Rampages, CrossMark, Ignitor, and Racing Ralph's (2.25 & 2.4). Maybe a 2.4 RR up front and a Crossmark in the rear......

XDX.

TLR Jones XR 2.2.

2.2 Karma.

mtbr member
    Racing ralph 2.25's. High volume so it's got some give during that 24 hours of riding and very light. Id run snakeskin only if the race has sharp rocks, if not just regular.
    2009 Fisher Paragon
    XT Cranks, C29ssmax's, PG-990 11-34
    2.25 Racing Ralphs tubeless via Stans
    Truativ NOIR Carbon Riser

mtbr member
    This will be my fifth year doing 24 Hors of Moab. I have always used a "old" tire for the race as using a "new" tire doesn't give that much of an advantage as far as traction.

This year I will be racing my singlespeed and may even run a rigid fork if it is done by then and will use the Racing Ralph 2.4 up front and not sure just yet on the rear. I have a new 2.2 Race King that I haven't mounted so I don't know the actually size compared to a 2.1 Small Block Eight. Whichever one is bigger I will run it in back.

The course is not technical at all and traction has never been an issue unless is rains like a few years ago with the race eventually being stopped early. The course is mostly super hard packed with some sandy sections.

just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AM Octopus
    This will be my fifth year doing 24 Hors of Moab. I have always used a "old" tire for the race as using a "new" tire doesn't give that much of an advantage as far as traction.

This year I will be racing my singlespeed and may even run a rigid fork if it is done by then and will use the Racing Ralph 2.4 up front and not sure just yet on the rear. I have a new 2.2 Race King that I haven't mounted so I don't know the actually size compared to a 2.1 Small Block Eight. Whichever one is bigger I will run it in back.

The course is not technical at all and traction has never been an issue unless is rains like a few years ago with the race eventually being stopped early. The course is mostly super hard packed with some sandy sections.

just my 2 cents
    Very good info! Thanks! I will be riding my SS(Can't decide whether to ride my Rigid or FS SS) at Moab also, and I am thinking about running my SB8 on the rear. I love the SB8 on hardpack here in SoCal.

Ben

mtbr member
    prdnme- If I could suggest a bike I would tell you to stick with the hardtail. The course is not technical at all and you would be much faster on your hardtail.

I may even run a rigid fork this year. I'm having a Ti Black Sheep fork made for my Superfly and if it's done in time I will for sure be using it.

I've been getting in some night rides (three in the last two weeks) the last couple weeks to get the lights all dialed in. I'm using a Light and Motion Stella mounted on my helmet and NiteRider NiWit on my bars. Probably should start getting my tent and all my other goodies together and make sure everything is good to go. Not much time left.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    race king is bigger then the sb8, check www.mtbtires.com for size specs

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AM Octopus
    prdnme- If I could suggest a bike I would tell you to stick with the hardtail. The course is not technical at all and you would be much faster on your hardtail.

I may even run a rigid fork this year. I'm having a Ti Black Sheep fork made for my Superfly and if it's done in time I will for sure be using it.

I've been getting in some night rides (three in the last two weeks) the last couple weeks to get the lights all dialed in. I'm using a Light and Motion Stella mounted on my helmet and NiteRider NiWit on my bars. Probably should start getting my tent and all my other goodies together and make sure everything is good to go. Not much time left.
    When I posted this, the wife was talking to me an I was rushing to get out and get a ride in before the sun went down. I meant to put "HT". I thought about my post for some reason when I was on the trail and realized I put "FS". My mistake.

I am working on the lights rights now. That is my next thing to get situated.

I think I am going to be running my '08 Felt Nine Solo. I seem to feel the most comfortable on that and for 24 hours, it makes sense.

***As for tires....I went out tonight and rode my Maxxis Crossmarks and then came back and headed out on my SB8's. The Crossmarks seem to climb better and the SB8's seem to turn better. Both tires are 2.1. This is on hardpack/sand/rock type terrain in SoCal......I'm still testing tires for Moab. ***

Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0